electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
looking for advice starting off
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
deformative

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: looking for advice starting off
Subject description: cheap?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I've been looking for the cheapest way to build a modular synth and will probably go with MFOS and CGS kits.

I know I want at least 2 VCOs, an LFO, the necessities.. my goal is to get the warm, thick, darker synth sounds so I don't want to buy a set up that is going to sound clinical, if that makes sense. Ideally i'd like to have a noise generator and reverb or echo, though those would probably need to come further down the line.

I didn't really want to go with the soundlab, but after realizing I'd probably need at minimum 7-8 modules (which are looking to be $100 at the very minimum to build myself) i'm wondering if I shouldn't have discounted an option like this so quickly. To be clear, I'd love to build it myself as I have plenty of time in the upcoming weeks, just not as much money. Are there similar set-ups (a la doepher a-100) that might be good for me? The problem I have with this is it seems to take away a lot of the creative freedom in designing the synth and I'd feel like i'm sort of half-assing the diy synth thing buy just buying one big kit.

Also related, is it usually cheaper to buy pcbs and parts on my own or the parts that come with kits?

Thanks
Antimon

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sense that a semi-modular isn't really on for you, but I'd just like to say that I build the MFOS SoundLab Ultimate (I got PCBs + panels from MFOS), and I love it. I botched some soldering, making the tuning a bit wobbly and there are some joints that come loose, but I've had such fun tweaking with it. I have a feeling that it might be one of the cheapest things around that are fit for a noob like me, considering all the of great diagrams and building instructions on the MFOS site.

I cheated with the power supply though, using the one in my Curetronic cabinet, but you'll have to handle power somehow anyway.

/Stefan

deformative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it possible to get that warm, layered/textured sound (if that makes sense) with the soundlab ultimate? also, how is the low-end sound? thanks for your reply
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: