electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Field Recorders Please Stand Up
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
migraneboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Field Recorders Please Stand Up Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im looking for people who:

-Record "ambience", practice field recording
-Have interest in field recording
-Use field recordings in their music

I´d love to hear about how you work, what motivates you to go out and record and how you use fieldrecordings in your art.

I´ve done it for a few months now and it has really "opened my ears" and given me lots of food for tought and ideas for experimentation.. So, anyone whose willing to share their experiences in field recording, please do so here!

P.S. all links to fieldrecording-based music are more than welcome
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I included some field recordings on a few of my pieces like summer 2006 in 11 limit recorded with a Microtrack24/96.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do most of my sampling through field recording. This has historically been with a MiniDisc recorder, or more recently an iRiver H340 mp3 player/recorder. These units aren't perfect, but they are like the old saying: "the ideal camera" is the one that's always on you.

I'd like to make my laptop and Emu 1616m interface ruggedized & portable (rugged enough so it's easy to take out somewhere, and not worry about it, not rugged for traveling through the bush), and also easy to setup, since I usually just wander aimlessly capturing what the world has to offer sonically, then taking it all home & processing later. I rarely go out for a specific sound, though I have made specific trips...like going to the train station, etc.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
...like going to the train station, etc.

historically field recordings go back to the late '40s and early'50s like the famous Étude aux chemins de fer (1948) by Pierre Schaeffer. At that time music including field recordings was called Musique concrète.

Quote:
migraneboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I included some field recordings on a few of my pieces like summer 2006 in 11 limit recorded with a Microtrack24/96.

I liked the atmosphere very much.. a feeling of stillness and peace. The tones made a very otherwordly feel, lots of light.. I bet it was a sunny day!
Don´t know what your kid was talking about, but somehow this piece gave me a picture of a childs imagination and sense of magic, you know, seeing and hearing things..

I liked how there was a narrative in the recording, a child walking, passing cars, trees, birds and people working. Then we leave him at the beach and continue walking with our own thoughts..

I´ve listened to some newer musique concrete, (electrocd.com has lots of mp3 samples) but mainly stuff that uses experimental "instrumentation" and different spaces, some of it has had field recordings in there, but usually it has been very compositional (if thats a word)..

I like how some people work with fieldrecordings in a subtle way, sort of like a good cameraman is the one whos work you don´t notice when watching a film, layering things and creating spaces but without losing the "feel of the moment" that field recordings have. Ofcourse its also interesting when there are contrasting elements that feed the imagination, like in the above mentioned piece..

I have a long recording on my MD of construction workers emptying a officebuilding late at night. I had the stereomic between two large metal containers that they were dropping stuff into from one and two stories up, from both sides of the building. Sofas, tables, glass, wood scrap, walls... The nearby empty parkinghall acted like a large echo chamber for the sounds.

To me it sounds like a percussive orchestra and we are considering playing drums and guitar on top of it.. just have it run on a sequencer window so we can see the spikes of the crashing furniture and "jam along" Razz
Alexander

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For field recording, today is the day! I've recorded some firework explosions during a storm last night..

..later, I'll try to mic the outburst at 0:00!

Lots of fun. To me field recording is what birdwatching and trainspotting must be for birdwatchers and trainspotters!

happy new year

migraneboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes!

Have a Noisy New Year everybody!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alexander wrote:

..later, I'll try to mic the outburst at 0:00!

that's an idea Idea I'll try to do the same Very Happy

Quote:
Alexander

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got it, it was pretty windy out and it rained, but the overall results are great.. I'll post it as soon as my body is completely detoxed and my head stops pounding.. Smile

have a healthy and fun 2007!

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alexander wrote:
I got it

me too Exclamation the piece is going to be called "New Year's Eve guerrilla"
migraneboy wrote:

I liked the atmosphere very much..

thanks Very Happy

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
the piece is going to be called "New Year's Eve guerrilla"

done Very Happy

Quote:
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: