electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
buying choices influenced by this forum
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Are your EM related buying choices influenced by this forum?
very often
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
seldom
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
never
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: buying choices influenced by this forum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have noticed that I have been influenced by this forum on my buying choices regarding music technology. I would like to know if I am the only one Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

My vote is in.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...to be honest, i don't think i've bought much since i bought the g2 engine, so not music technology (unless someting escapes me at the moment)....but i did buy a coffee maker that i learned about here Smile
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
....but i did buy a coffee maker that i learned about here Smile

so now we can look forward to a sponsorship from the coffee industry Shocked what about "electro-coffee" Question

Quote:
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am only in ti for the music. Very Happy
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bought a Nord Modular G2 as a direct result of the Nord Modular mailing list, which lead me here after a while. Got a Behringer BCR2000 and a Kurzweil KME-1 because of this forum. Never realized i needed a pair of monitors before I read about such here. Been drooling over an Evolver after reading talk here, but my wallet is still putting up a fight, and watching the modular pictures topic is both heaven (I can't believe all this amazing stuff actually exists!) and hell (I can't believe all the love and money people pour into it).

This place is certainly a very reliable source of many good equipment reviews! study

/Stefan

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't buy anything musical with out checking out this community first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are many factors that influence my equipment purchase decisions.

In general I have ideas in my imagination and then I acquire hardware/software to turn the ideas into reality.

The quality of the equipment tends to influence my decisions because:

1) my equipment purchases are long-term
2) high-quality equipment holds its value (or at least, doesn't depreciate as much)
3) high-quality equipment is generally easier to use

Most equipment is purchased with a 10 to 20 year timeline -- since I will be living with it I choose stuff that I will enjoy owning over the long run.

I never really purchase equipment with the idea that I will sell it if I lose interest in it -- however, it helps me to justify the purchase. Smile

My schedule and life can be hectic at times and I want every minute of studio time to count. Good equipment means less time troubleshooting and more time music-making.

My first foray into digital synthesis/MIDI was my purchase of a CZ3000 for $600 back in 1987. The CZ1 had pretty much the same sounds, yet at the time, I decided not to spend the extra $300 just to get a touch-sensitive keyboard. I spent the next twelve years regretting the decision. Every time I sat down to make make music I asked myself: "Why didn't I just pay the extra money and get a touch sensitive keyboard?" I finally got a VZ1 off of Ebay in 1999. How wonderful! How could I have waited so long?

As I look back over my equipment purchases, my only regrets have been when I didn't spend enough! (I have probably written this before so please forgive me for repeating myself.)

So, what to do when money is tight? I would suggest to get the best your budget allows and master the equipment. A positive attitude, dedication, and persistence will result in great music-making regardless of the equipment.

Going back to the original question... when I upgraded my recording facilities last summer I consulted the electro-music forums and received great advice that guided my software decision (I went from Cubase Audio Falcon to Cubase SX3). It turned out the transition from one to the other was very easy.

I first heard about the Boss RC-50 here and added an RC-50 to my studio last fall.

Thus, it is fair to say that the information on electro-music.com has contributed to my buying decisions.

-- Kevin
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:

Thus, it is fair to say that the information on electro-music.com has contributed to my buying decisions.

Kevin
it's always a pleasure to read your posts. thanks Very Happy

Quote:
klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, i probably wouldn't have bought my used nm1 key if it wasn't for all the information on this site.
also thanks to howard's music i was reminded of what i wanted to accomplish in the first place: express the music that is in me.

regarding espresso: if i think of it, it really was electro-music.com which got me into espresso-making. Shocked for my wife and me espresso has become a fixed part of our lives. (btw, i purchased a used mazzer mini e grinder for the pid'ed silvia... Wink ).

also, it's very nice to be able to share some of my music with you.
i am still looking for an oppurtunity to collaborate on some pieces... anyone?

best regards

eike
---
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I buy stuff after lengthy research. I think about what sounds I would need to satisfy what my music goals are for that particular time. An exception would be a recent synth that I received for services rendered, but it has turned out to be a great addition to my synth setup. It will probably be a part of my live performance rig.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: