electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Alpha electro-music.com media player - help...
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I'm still on the track. I never cease to amaze myself at the projects I can get into to waste time.

Anyhow. I couldn't find anything on the web that does what I want it to do, so I wrote my own program. No big deal but a really complicated mess. Anyway, I need people to try it out.

Click on this link and that will start the media player. http://electro-music.com/openjuke.htm and then click on the Jukebox link. I know it's complicated but this is development baby,

It just has one song now. I expect to have a selector box under the "buy it here" link so you can pick other songs. (Didn't say pieces because I'm not an elitest.) Before I jump into that part of the project, I need to know if the window opens and the music plays and you can see all the information. It should look like this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Thanks in advance for those that try it out. I would appreciate any suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
themoors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm dunno if youve been playing round with it since ive been tring to get it too work...but i now have sound. In IE 6 i can hear the tune from pressing what i can see of the play button, the bar doesnt seem to load properly, in mozilla firefox the play/stop ect bar is simply not there and when i click on the where the play button should be im taken to this site.. http://plugins.netscape.com/plug-in_finder.adp?mimetype=text/plain
Its says i need to install Data Detective PC Search, which costs money...

hope that helps
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was affraid of this kind of thing. I have QuickTime pluggin (free) loaded. It's the best player I've found because it will start playing mp3s while they are being downloaded - poor man's streaming.

I just made a fix that should fix the tiny play button. Please try again. I appreciate your help.

Do you see the informational part of the window ok?

What player pluggin are you using?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

worked perfectly for me

netscape 7.1 on Mac

that fact you programmed it makes it even cooler

i have been looking all around for this kind of solution..the best i can get is java scripts for sizing windows where the 'poor man streaming' quicktime players opens up

nice work mosc

play

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it looks pretty ::)

I'm running opera 7. The play bar is really skinny, no text. When I click it I get an error that says: "This page wants you to download a plug-in but doesn't specify which one." mime-type header?

cool project though.
play

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok. I downloaded quicktime and tried it again. This time it appears to have downloaded the whole file but no play controls.
paul e.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like you need to tweak your browser mime/setting for .m3u.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works fine for my IE browser...although it looks like this
I have quicktime, but I don't know why the window's media player "transport" half appeared instead of the quicktime "transport". Is that a setting I have to reconfigure?

regardless, the sound works fine, and thats what matters.
good stuff!
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Thanks in advance for those that try it out. I would appreciate any suggestions.

gee.....I open this thread and see my face Shocked
anyway it looks (and sounds) fine to me: I opened the jukebox with Apple's Safari.
A brand new and cool feature indeed Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works fine here too.. same as it does for Carlo...
It seems that another kinda API is called when you get that weird screendraw

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much guys. If anyone else has any feedback, please add it to this thread. I'll make some fixes and post them on a new topic, like "alpha2", or maybe "beta1" or something.

Finding documentation on plugins is a bitch. I am using a bit of JavaScript, and will certainly need more. There is no standard window size for the plugins, so what looks nice for QuickTime doesn't look so good with Windows Media Player. It is characteristically fatter. Evil or Very Mad I probably have to figure out how to detect which pluggin is being used, and if none is configured, pop up some message telling the user to get one.

Does anyone have any experience with pluggins? I would like to get a signal from pluggin as to when it finishes playing the track.

Sudden, not using m3u now, just mp3. I'm planning on making an extended m3u type format, which has the information for the description, pics, links, etc.

Noiseusse, I don't have Opera 7. Do they offer a free version I could get to try out?

Zynth, please don't change a thing. You're system is using Windows Media Player. That is very important for me to use to test things.

Thanks again guys... love
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/quicktime/QuickTime.html

http://homepage.mac.com/qt4web/Personal.html

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/

http://www.imagemontage.com/QTTalkFAQ.html

You could just recommend people using the QT package? And then have a choice in the player window.. for an alternative verison for people using wmp??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

You could just recommend people using the QT package? And then have a choice in the player window.. for an alternative verison for people using wmp??

Yes, I'm leaning towards this. QT is free. I can detect if it is there or not, and if not, say "You need quick time for the electro-box to work. To get it, click here." I'll only do as a last resort though. It would make it easier for me, if not the users. (I hate myself for even thinking that.)

You're links were pretty helpful. I'm still reading there. There is a lot there that is relevant for pluggins in general, not just QT. But, it is clear there aren't any standards for the way the APIs work.

I'm pretty sure that I can get this to work for individual songs pretty easilly now. I'm not going to display the WMP or the QT controls. Instead, I'll just put up my own buttons. PLAY, STOP, maybe PAUSE; the actual player will stay hidden.

I'll hacking a bit today. I'll leave the alpha stuff there if anyone else is interested in trying it out.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: