electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Skypecast for electro-music.com
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Skypecast for electro-music.com
Subject description: experimenting
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've set up an experimental Skypecast for electro-music.com. Apparently it is like a giant conference call for Skype users. It's free. You can try checking in here: Link removed - see below...

Last edited by mosc on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am talking to Howard and his daughter Genevieve Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that skypecast thing is a mixed bag. It seems that it is voice only. That in itself is not all that bad, but the voice quality is severely degraded. Not only that, when the host logs off to get another call, the skypecast is dropped and when the host starts it up again, then the address of the skypecast is changed so the link is bad. Sad

So, I guess the skypecast experiment is over. Unless someone else has some experience with this that is different, I think skypecasts are not going to be much use to us.

Skype is still cool, but for computer to computer communication, maybe it's not any better than AIM, iChat, MS, Yahoo and all that stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as I told Howard, few days ago I was able to partecipate to a video conference with 3 other people on iChat.

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carlo, what is your experience with iChat compared to Skype? (iChat is produced by AOL for Mac am I wrong? Can it work with a PC too?)
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Carlo, what is your experience with iChat compared to Skype? (iChat is produced by AOL for Mac am I wrong? Can it work with a PC too?)

in order to use iChat you need a mac.com account or an AIM screen name from http://www.aim.com/ as I said we were able to have a video conference with up to 4 people. skypecast seems audio only. talking to Howard was nice also because the quality was very good, but as soon as his daughter joined us the quality got worse and, of course, it wasn't Genevieve's fault Wink
Last week at the conservatory in Florence we experienced what is called e-learning with the teacher there and students connected to iChat from their computers (there were 6 or 7 people connected, audio and text only) and it worked fine.

Quote:
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
in order to use iChat you need a mac.com account or an AIM screen name

I've only ever used it through AIM. The quality was bad (even to another computer in the same room in Albuquerque) via cable modem, so I suspect iChat might do better, but I never tried it.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AIM connections work very well. The audio is only as good as your mic. Elektro80 and I had a very nice AIM audio chat once. We both use studio condenser mics and high-quality headphone. It was like being in the room with him.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, audio was fine. We tried live video, and I'm pretty sure it was iChat. The video kept breaking up, which could have been the AIM server or any/all points in between. Did you use video?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, yes, we have used it several times. Skype is probably the way to go though.
williamsharkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One time I had a skype connection open between me (Philly) and Detroit.

It was OKAY. Sometimes, I had good conversations with my friend. Sometimes, the voice would drop out a bit.

We tried to set it up so that it was rather permanent. for a day, we just had a connection open. An audio tunnel to connect our rooms together.

It is not comfortable for me to mess with headphones/wires. It was better to use low volume speakers, and a condenser mic with a directional pickup pattern.

I have a feeling that a Apple user would have a more reliable/easy setup because of integrated mic/video/software.

For those who have tried skype and aim, What is more pleasurable/ overall better for audio tunnels?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if there is much difference.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

williamsharkey wrote:

For those who have tried skype and aim, What is more pleasurable/ overall better for audio tunnels?

sometimes one is better, sometimes the other one. it depends on the traffic over the line at the moment.

Quote:
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
AIM connections work very well. The audio is only as good as your mic. Elektro80 and I had a very nice AIM audio chat once. We both use studio condenser mics and high-quality headphone. It was like being in the room with him.

I just wanted to throw in that I've been using Ventrillo for a while now... and like it a lot. It is very stable and smooth. I use a condenser mic and headphones or my home stereo, and it does sound just like someone is in the room with you. Razz

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see this topic is back to life. Apparently, Skype has discontinued Skypecasting. Too bad. Now that our internet radio has finally gotten a bit of critical mass, it's time to readdress these things.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to enjoy audio-video chat in a fun little chatroom. We did cool stuff like play charades and listen to each other's music, got to know the folks there. They supported up to 10 video chatters at once and both video and audio were controllable and optional. Of course, there would be 30 or so people in the room at peak times, but only 10 could video chat. Video was smooth, audio was good enough for my crude ears. I still have the link if anyone wants to check it out.
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: