electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
NEW TRACKS
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SYSTEM-X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: NEW TRACKS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NEW TRACKS FROM "SYSTEM-X" in AMBIENT SOUNDSCAPE

CLICK HERE FOR "ANDROMIDA"

NOW CLICK HERE

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paul,

Nice track.

I tried the second liink. I guess you posted it as a FYI. I snooped around there a bit to try to figure out the scene. This is a DJ site, it appears, obviously. I'm not into the DJ scene, maybe I was born too early. Anyway, I'm trying to understand it better. Here's a link with a video.

http://progressivehouse.com/forums/topic-736.html

I watched it for several minutes. The DJ lists the tracks that are used. I have a few questions. I have some difficulty understanding this stuff, possibly because I have a background in classical music.

Are tracks composed by people who intend them to be used by other DJs?

Do DJs compose tracks or do they use other peoples' tracks?

Do DJ's consider themselves musicians? I mean, I know you do, because you compose the tracks that you mix. What about those that use other peoples tracks?

Isn't there a copyright issue when people make mixes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
themoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good stuff, has a destinct ibiza sound to it in my opinion, I can hear a possible harder breakbeat mix as well...

Mosc ... dont really have time right now to explain the DJ but .. in some cases it really can be decribed as music in its own right

recomended veiwing

http://www.dmcworld.com/technics2004/videos.asp

and check out kid kola , his albums are almost exclusivley created on turntables
http://www.ninjatune.net/ninja/release.php?id=799
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked out Andromida. It doesn't seem like an ambient piece to me, although it has some ambient pads going in the background. But I do like the piece. It seems well thought out and composed. Very beefy synth sounds and a driving percussion track. The piano passage comes in at an appropriate time.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those videos, http://www.dmcworld.com/technics2004/videos.asp , were really great. That is music, no doubt about it. The DJs I see at local clubs, and the one in the link I posted earlier are not doing the same things.

Still, it would be great if people made LPs just for this purpose. I bet they do, don't they?

I've always said, that the top percentage of all kinds of music is good music. There really are no "bad" styles

I feel badly for people who say things like "I don't like opera." Subsititute for opera every other style of music. They are limiting themselves and shutting out something valuable in order to preserve some kind of attitude. In this way, music is a metaphore for life. If you are open to all kinds of music, especially the music you don't like, then you'll start living your life that way.

So, what do you say to someone who just did a great DJ performance? Probably not "rock on!", or "bravo!".What's the lingo in this world?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some DJ's do nothing but spin other's tracks..and some of these DJs very much blur the lines...allowing the audience to beleive that the DJ is somehow producing the sounds coming out of the speakers in realtime..[and some do actually do some eq filtering etc...but..]

and some people make music spefically for the DJ format with 8 bar kick lead ins and predictable valley/peak dynamics..to make it easier for the DJ

these dj's in my opinion are not 'doing' music but are 'mixing' it for a room..and selecting the tracks based on mood[etc]

it can make it more difficult for some one to actually mix their own music live..

once at a show, i was mixing my own track live from computers etc and a guy came running up to me and asked '''wow..whose track are you spinning'''

um, actually my own, i said

..he was confused

and some dj's exploit this lack of audience awareness and use vague terms about their performances

however 'turntablists' like Kid Koala are in there own category and are doing music, no doubt..the turntable as sound manipulator/instrument

so i guess 'dj' is an over-used and watered down term by now..as it could refer to those who play other's music over a PA in a club, and those who use vinyl and old records etc to compose/synthesize new musical tones

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I'm starting to get it. Thanks for helping. In my youth a DJ was a person who played records on the radio. Now, there are very few of these people.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Paul, but your link to progressivehouse.com started this. Laughing
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go rent the movie "scratch". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0143861/ - There're some absolutely stunning turntablist's on that. Slow in spots, but hang in there.
SYSTEM-X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI, MOSC, IT'S BEEN A WHILE HOPE YOUR OK.. PLEASED YOU LIKED THE MUSIC, THE VIDEO LINK ! I'VE ALL READY SEEN, ALTHOUGH I did'nt KNOW IT WAS ON PROGRESIVEHOUSE, THE DJ IN THE VIDEO IS A FRIEND OF OUR'S HIS NAME IS CHRISTIAN LANG, ALSO KNOWN AS BOOMBATCHA, AN ENGLISH GUY living IN FRANCE, THE FORUM ON THE FACTOR X MUSIC SITE IS RUN BY BOOMBATCHA THATS WHERE THE VIDEO LINK IS, YOU WERE ASKING BEFORE, HOW THE MUSIC IS MADE IF YOU LOOK ON MY BESONIC PAGE CLICK ON USERS PICTURE GALLERY THEIR ARE SOME PICTURES OF THE STUDIO, (HAVE YOU GOT THAT RADIO GOING YET) OK MOSC SPEAK TO YOU LATER.....AND THANKS TO ALL THE OTHER GUYS FOR TAKEING THE TIME TO LISTEN TO MY MUSIC....

SYSTEM-X

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SYSTEM-X wrote:
YOU WERE ASKING BEFORE, HOW THE MUSIC IS MADE IF YOU LOOK ON MY BESONIC PAGE CLICK ON USERS PICTURE GALLERY THEIR ARE SOME PICTURES OF THE STUDIO, (HAVE YOU GOT THAT RADIO GOING YET) OK MOSC SPEAK TO YOU LATER.....AND THANKS TO ALL THE OTHER GUYS FOR TAKEING THE TIME TO LISTEN TO MY MUSIC

I can't figure out what link to click on at besonic.com. Please point me to the right place.

By the radio thing, I think you are talking about the electro-box I had a prototype for about two weeks ago. I've put that on hold while I learn about about Flash technology. It seems that all of the players on the net that do the kind of things I want to do are written in Flash. So maybe it's better to learn Flash before jumping in with a solution.
SYSTEM-X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI, MOSC. CLICK ON THE ANDROMIDA LINK AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE THAT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE MUSIC.. ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE NEXST TO MY PICTURE, YOU HAVE A LIST, ARTIST INFO, PLAY LIST, AND USERS PICTURE GALLERY, CLICK ON THIS ONE... AND THE RADIO WAS THE HAM TYPE.....

SYSTEM-X....

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha Ha, now I see the pictures. The studio manager there looks like he or she is doing a fine job. Very Happy ]

No, my ham radio station is not operational now, but I hope to get it going before the end of the summer, maybe.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: