electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry VCA-1 Page Is Up
Page 1 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: The Thomas Henry VCA-1 Page Is Up Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thread title says it all.

Schematics, layout, panel, sparkling conversation. It's all there.... Very Happy

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id31.html

Cheers,
Scott

Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's all give Scott a rousing round of applause for putting this together.

And, hey, if the 3080 is scarce in your neck of the woods, keep in mind you can always use the LM13700 just by ignoring the Gilbert diode biasing pins and Darlington buffers. And you get a dual unit out of the deal!

Thomas Henry
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks to Thomas & Scott for this!
widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Scott and Henry. Great stuff! I've built the power supply from the drum book over the weekend. Next weekend I'll have a crack at the VCA.

Scott, the links to the pcb layout stuff for the xx and vco-1 seem to be confused (alternatively it might be me).
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yehhh Very Happy I like to pop by for a good read at Scott's site everyonce in a while. Even if it'll be months before I can make any of this stuff.
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Welcome to the forum, widdly! I spent many weeks living in the Pan Pacific hotel during the late 1980's and 1990's. My uncle lived in the Raffles Hotel during the late 1940's/early 1950's. I loved it there: great people, great food, beautiful land and the best zoo I've ever been to! I took my wife on our first anniversary and she loved it too.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Scott, the links to the pcb layout stuff for the xx and vco-1 seem to be confused (alternatively it might be me).

Give them another try, they seem to be working state side. Maybe it was some type of network or routing problem. Very Happy

welcome

Bill
crashlander42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work! Another module for me to build. Great. Shocked

Scott-

Widdly is right as far as I can tell. The PCB layout and parts list for the XR-VCO seems to have been replaced by the VCO-1. I would guess they have the same file names and one was overwritten. A mistake I've made before. Embarassed

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say that's about right - it's probably been that way since I put up the VCO-1 page. Can't fix it now, I'm in Colorado Springs on a computer in the lobby of the hotel - couldn't resist checking things out. Saaaayyyy....this keyboard has nice action.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Only got fifteen minutes so...bye Very Happy

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Thomas and Scott. I'm building two of these right now. I really appreciate the pcb design. I can build stuff pretty quick when I make my own pcb's. I have three xr2206 VCO's and now two VCA's by Thomas Henry. I gotta get a Mankato filter. Now we need some Thomas Henry envelope generators. I love DIY!

pete

philpeery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, compact VCA! I am going to crank out at least couple of the pcb's, you can never have enough VCA's! (VCO's too!).

I think I might have a copy of the envelope generator web pages from the good ole Midwest Analog web site. Ive build 3 of those EG's Igonna need more now!) and they are really nice! If anyone wants a copy of the docs, let me know!
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thanks Thomas and Scott. I'm building two of these right now. I really appreciate the pcb design. I can build stuff pretty quick when I make my own pcb's. I have three xr2206 VCO's and now two VCA's by Thomas Henry. I gotta get a Mankato filter. Now we need some Thomas Henry envelope generators. I love DIY!

pete

My mother used to give me such a hard time because I spent all my time building this DIY synth stuff and recording and not out there performing all the time. In her mind, unless you weren't a performer first, you weren't a real musician. I'm willing to bet that Strativarius' mother also gave him a hard time, " What?!? Another violin!?!! Why don't you go out and perform something?!"
widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the old adsr page...

http://web.archive.org/web/20031211115742/www.midwest-analog.com/adsr1.html
crashlander42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of a Thomas Henry ADSR, I stumbled across this this very simple ADSR which seems very Thomas Henry influenced. In fact there is a pleading for Thomas Henry's return to the internet on the page.

"Thomas Henry, I know how hard it is to make money as a DIY dude with a web site, but come back to us, please! We need more Thomas Henry's!!!!"

I was thinking of building this, but for some reason I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's better to build an ADSR with a 7555 chip. Is this true or did I dream it?

*edit*

I just finished reading the page and I believe I answered my own question.

"I substituted a CMOS version of the 555 in, worked great" - I believe the 7555 is the CMOS version of the 555 correct?

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those were some kind words he had for John Simonton and PAiA, too.

Cheers,
Scott

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
Now we need some Thomas Henry envelope generators. I love DIY!

Before pursuing the older designs mentioned above, I'd recommend waiting a few more weeks for the appearance of An Analog Synthesizer for the 21st Century from Magic Smoke. The ADSR design there, while quite similar in the logic to what I've done before, has a couple extra niceties to make it easier to use. In particular, note the patchover scheme that makes it act as an AD, AR or full ADSR.

Thomas Henry
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Thomas. No problem, ill wait for the new design. I'm really looking forward to your new book. I'm sure it will be awesome. I'm also looking forward to when all your old books are available again. I have a small collection of them, and one is always on my desk. Right now I have your, "Build a Better Music Synthesizer" next to my laptop. Its a classic!

Thanks for all the hard work,
pete

slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And, hey, if the 3080 is scarce in your neck of the woods, keep in mind you can always use the LM13700 just by ignoring the Gilbert diode biasing pins and Darlington buffers. And you get a dual unit out of the deal!

Just wondering if you can use a LM13600 as well to replace the 3080, in this VCA design

George
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I think so! Thomas has mentioned to me a few times I oughtta add some notes on some of those 3080 designs to indicate that an LM13700 could be used. The gain cell of the 13600 is identical, as I understand it, the main difference between the two is in the buffers. So, if the buffers aren't used, there should be no difference between the two.

Whether it would take some alteration of part values, I would have to let Studs jump in on that.

Take care,
Scott

Coriolis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I would certainly LURVE to build one or two of these, using some of my LM13700 (got loads of those, but very few 3080, and I'd prefer saving those for other things)

C
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slo wrote:
[
Just wondering if you can use a LM13600 as well to replace the 3080, in this VCA design

Go for it. It's been a while since I looked at the schems in the data sheets, but I think the LM and the 3080 are identical (apart from the Gilbert diodes and the buffers, both of which you can ignore).

I use all of the typical 3080 computations constantly with the LM without any troubles at all. They really do perform the same.

Thomas Henry
softfin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While we're on the subject... Here's a layout for a dual version of this VCA utilising a 13600/13700 instead of the 3080! Enjoy Smile
As always, any comments about the layout are welcome.

TH VCA-1_13600_bottom.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TH VCA-1_13600_bottom.pdf
 Filesize:  35.83 KB
 Downloaded:  609 Time(s)

TH VCA-1_13600_top.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TH VCA-1_13600_top.pdf
 Filesize:  47.91 KB
 Downloaded:  613 Time(s)

slo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is fantastic Softfin, this board never ceases to amaze with the caliber of talent. I take it that this is a stereo version of the TH VCA? and do you have a schematic you could post?

George

How far in the north are you?
softfin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slo wrote:
I take it that this is a stereo version of the TH VCA? and do you have a schematic you could post?

Well, you can make it dual or stereo if you want. And no, I haven't got a schematic for this one, as for me the original schematic is adequate.
OTAs pin numbers are the only thing that are different from the original.

But...If you want a schematic that would be precisely the same as this layout, do this:
1. Make a blank file that is twice the height of the original schematic in the image editor, photoshop for example.
2. Paste the original schematic there and copy it, so you have 2 of them in the same file. Remove one pair of 10uF and one pair of 10n caps from the decoupling part on other of the schematics.
3.Check out the datasheet for the 13600 or 13700 and simply exchange the pin numbers of the OTA (3080) to 13600 specs.

And voila, you've got a schematic for this layout Smile

slo wrote:

How far in the north are you?

I'm located in Finland, but not north enough to be considered living in an arctic area Smile

Last edited by softfin on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
slo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I will try that in my image editor.
Page 1 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: