electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Back on the air tonight - Twyndyllyngs
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Online Music
These is my music, please give me an opinion
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
maipu

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: These is my music, please give me an opinion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi every body, i´m from argentine and i´m looking for critics from people of other places about my music.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/maipumusic.htm
Please tell me the truth ok???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi maipu

i've listen to all the music. here's what i think.

Donovan el pollerudo...i did not like the opening (i can't stand arpeggios) and came close to stop listening...a few second later you really suprised me. the middle section is really nice but i find that all the element arrive at the same time. the ending sounds like it should have been the intro.

Galote...i like the intro...the beat uses the same sample all the time...

Pagodes44...this organ is very cool...take the guitar out of there...tempo is a bit too fast. the samples you throw in are interesting...take the guitar OUT...some samples gave me goose bump...too much stuff going on at one point.

Anta muerta...the vocal is Very Happy ...the synth: Rolling Eyes the delay: Crying or Very sad

Ovario...the intro sounds good...the little arp does not fit...the timing between the part keeps it interesting. guitar is cool...funky beat but no variation.

hey...more ea stuff...less arp
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations Niko_91 you are a great reviewer Very Happy thumb up

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: These is my music, please give me an opinion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maipu wrote:

Please tell me the truth ok???

Ok, but first of all. I liked the general idea/concept of your music.
I can appreciate the minimalist element of it.

But... to me it sounds crappy most of the time.
I think you have to balance thing out more. Sometimes the delay's and rhythms don't fit. Try not to overdo.
So... I think that if you work on your mix and mastering, you're music will sound much better.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been listening to your music in mono .. on this computer I have here at work. I am possibly missing put on a lot of detail here. The way it sounds to me is ..well.. you might be able to get a release of this on CD with some label.
The music is not quite in my taste but I cannot quite say what is "wrong". Probably it can only be me who does not understand this genre. On the other hand.. the music is almost there. What I see as lacking is the compositional control of it.. and some issues with .. like delays etc and some sounds. When I say almost there.. I mean.. what I think would happen if "it all was there" would be that these pieces suddenly would become minimalist soundscapes.. small poems .. possibly of the mid period Brian Eno kind. To me this music strives in the direction of the Cluster/Eno stuff.. which is great.. so please keep on working on the music. Very Happy
However I could be all wrong about this.. I have not heard this in stereo..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These rythms/loops.. did you make those yourself or did you use some raw material from somewhere else?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
maipu

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: answer for elektro 80 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro 80, the rythms/loops are made by my self, execpt the piano on Pagodes (it is from debussy, the song is called Pagodes) , and the background voices of Donovan (from ligeti 2001 space odyssey).
I create some sound with the softwares and others are made with recordings from the outside world(?¡?¡) , others are very small pieces of music that i work with editors.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICES AND SINCERITY.
Wink
In other forums the people said, "good boy!!!" and lies like this.
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya Carlos->

Good tracks. No lies. Don't usually listen to this kind of thing - but then again it's really not melodic enough to be electronica in my opinion. Melodic aspects are there almost as a tease. It's trancey. It uses beats. It suddenly shifts in a surprise or two. Sometimes I think the 'nu' electronic musics have as many subgenres as there are people composing Smile . I don't know what you'd call this music. I've heard other tracks like it coming out of LA and northern Europe. I liked these pieces and listened to them on a lofi loop. Probably go back later & grab a hifi stream.

Anyway, I think the comments you're going to get to some extent depend on what you are trying to accomplish - and you haven't really made that clear - not even on your soundclick page.

If you're going for regular beat oriented music then yeah, you need to tighten up some of the loops so they start with a hit on the main event and match up the delay timings a little better.

But if you're going for something different, something a bit more interesting where you're basing it on meter and flow instead of rhythm, then I think you've already got it. In that case I like the fact that sometimes patterns slip back and forth in relation to each other and the piece in general. That's like the real world. I dig that. You've brought together some interesting approaches & got them to work together.

Anyway, I liked 'em. But why really give a fuck? Why do you think those other reviews were "lies"? Hey man, just do what you wanna do - what makes sense to YOU. I like the direction you're going in & hope you continue.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael makes some good points here. You should possibly try to communicate better what you are trying to accomplish, but please take this wherever you want. This is your music and you just might be exploring something which other people aren´t quite getting yet. As I said, the way I understand these tracks.. I think they are nearly there... and perhaps they already are if I listen to them at home on the stereo.
Michael mentions those patterns sliding a bit back and forth.. and that itself is a valid method from several different schools of modern composition. However, an easy trick to make "serious listeners" understand what you are doing is to throw in some musical elements which show which particular tradition/school/philosphy you are applying. Because of some small stuff I heard in your music, I have kinda labelled it to be in the Eno/Cluster ballpark.. which is a pretty nice place to be in fact. However, throwing in clues and references should not really be that called for these days. Even pretty anal academic reviewers are loosening up a lot these days.
... Keep that music coming!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: