electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Korg Mini Pops 7 emulation (Oxygene 6 rhythm combo)
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Korg Mini Pops 7 emulation (Oxygene 6 rhythm combo) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oxygene 6 is one of my favourites from JMJ at all, and I always loved the MP7 rhythm combo (Slow Rock + Beguine) as heard on this track. I own a MP120, which also allows multiple button triggering, so mix of some preset rhythms is possible, but it lacks 3 most significant sounds: quijada, guiro and tambourine, which made the Oxygene beat so popular and recognizable. I decided to create an emulation on NM, because I couldn't find any decent one in the archives. I couldn't come up with cheap quijada and guiro enough to fit in one DSP with whole patch, so I checked the archives and found a decent solution in a patch which was signed on modules as "CdSP 2000". I tuned the solution to fit the DSP usage limit and to match the original sound, and it works great - just below the limit.

I'm attaching an audio sample from original Mini Pops 7, NM emulated one, and an emulated rhythm in a mix [edit: attachments are in reversed order], where most of the differencies between the original and emulated one aren't that hearable. There are plenty of mistakes in the emulation, I know, but it's the best I could come up with this setup, and one DSP only (not to mention free time Wink). The Oxygene 6 arrangement also sucks, but it was not the point. I just wanted to show that this rhythm fits nicely in the mix, and all these little differencies aren't that recognizable at all, especially to a regular listener.

MP7_Oxy6.jpg
 Description:
Screenshot of the patch.
 Filesize:  258.12 KB
 Viewed:  7776 Time(s)

MP7_Oxy6.jpg

XL_oxy6.mp3
 Description:
Short and simple arrangement of Oxygene 6 with NM emulated rhyhtm part.

Download
 Filename:  XL_oxy6.mp3
 Filesize:  594.69 KB
 Downloaded:  1058 Time(s)

NM_MP7_01.mp3
 Description:
Nord Modular version of the Oxygene 6 rhythm combo.

Download
 Filename:  NM_MP7_01.mp3
 Filesize:  133.47 KB
 Downloaded:  993 Time(s)

MP7_orig.mp3
 Description:
Original Mini Pops 7 'Slow Rock' + 'Beguine' rhythm combo.

Download
 Filename:  MP7_orig.mp3
 Filesize:  133.47 KB
 Downloaded:  1032 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It all sounds good, but why don't you attach the patch itself too?

Wout
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
It all sounds good, but why don't you attach the patch itself too?

Wout

Ooops, my bad Smile

MiniPops7_seq_2a.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MiniPops7_seq_2a.pch
 Filesize:  5.26 KB
 Downloaded:  715 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
Ooops, my bad Smile

There's always somebody to remind you Very Happy

Wout
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice work. It even converts to G2 if you cancel the final bit quant module.

Cheers
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Very nice work. It even converts to G2 if you cancel the final bit quant module.

Cheers

Thanks Smile The bit quantizer is useless most of the time, I just put it there, as well as audio in and a morph group on plenty of parameters just to experiment when jamming - it's a bit boring to play to one and same sounding rhythm over and over... Wink

I just wish the DSP wouldn't run out of juice that quickly - I was thinking about a fill-in trigerred by a quick mod wheel pulse or sth but maybe it's time to buy a G2... Wink
delay19ms

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
I just wish the DSP wouldn't run out of juice that quickly - I was thinking about a fill-in trigerred by a quick mod wheel pulse or sth but maybe it's time to buy a G2... Wink

maybe you could replace some of your osc by lfo, lower res but could still sound ok, and it would give you dsp space...
X-Electric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

delay19ms wrote:
maybe you could replace some of your osc by lfo, lower res but could still sound ok, and it would give you dsp space...

Already did it where it was possible - mostly the sound wasn't distorted on instruments like bongo or so, where the base frequency is <1000 Hz. (Though the LFO being a control signal is suppose to go up to 11 kHz.)
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: