electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Online Music
The vintage Aries Modular Synthesizer
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: The vintage Aries Modular Synthesizer
Subject description: another "switched-on" work from the archives
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

After the EM2007 festival, I spent the next few weeks at home doing all the stuff that I had put off doing so that I could prepare for the festival. Lately, I have been heads-down to create more live-looping works and look forward to completing new works in the next few months.

Has been a while since I've posted a track here on electro-music. Many folks here enjoyed hearing my Aries synth version of the Bach Concerto in d-minor (3rd movement) and I'd like to share the 1st movement with you.

The track below is a remix from the 4-channel master tape (originally recorded in 1977). The performance of the solo part is recent -- I used the Aries synthesizer and used a touch-sensitive keyboard (I didn't have such a keyboard in 1977). Originally I used a foot pedal to control the volume of the solo.

Hope you enjoy all these vintage synth sounds, painstakingly recorded one line at a time on analog tape (ah, the memories!).

Many thanks to you, the electro-music.community, for your support and encouragement.

BachDminorM01hi.mp3
 Description:
I. Allegro from Concerto in d-minor by Johann Sebastian Bach

Performed by Kevin Kissinger on the Aries 300-series modular synthesizer

Download
 Filename:  BachDminorM01hi.mp3
 Filesize:  9.07 MB
 Downloaded:  3244 Time(s)

Last edited by kkissinger on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The vintage Aries Modular Synthesizer
Subject description: another "switched-on" work from the archives

kkissinger wrote:
Hi!
Hope you enjoy all these vintage synth sounds, painstakingly recorded one line at a time on analog tape (ah, the memories!).

Yes I did, as always. thumright

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very "Switched On Bach" Exclamation very well crafted tracks. a bit more adventurous, soundwise, than SOB. Great job Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang - I always say I don't get out of the instruments forums enough, adn this is a perfect example of why I need to (I ran across this on MatrixSynth).

This is amazing, Kevin - absolutely splendid. And surely one helluva lot of hard work!

Cheers,
Scott

kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much!

Back in the stone age (that is, in the late 70s) I used to perform this stuff live -- that is, I played the lead live along with the pre-recorded tape elements.

Not sure when my next music post will be however it will be something new Smile

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is one of my favorite pieces of music, and you did a stupendous job. I can only imagine being able to play that well.

I love the playfulness of this. I've heard this music at least 1000 times and your orchestration brings out lines I hadn't noticed before. Your performance makes the music new again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin, I notice that the mp3 file is missing. Probably it went with several other attachments in a previous crash. Would you please re-upload it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Done! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Kevin, I notice that the mp3 file is missing. Probably it went with several other attachments in a previous crash. Would you please re-upload it?

OK, done!

SARKO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AAAAAAAAAH! NICE:)
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you enjoyed this track.

Turns out the Aries synth was a real "hit" at the Regional electro-music festival so I'm going to bring it with me to Bloomingdale. I am going to present a seminar with it to cover some modular synth basics (I'm going to bring my 'scope so we can look at the waveforms and observe the effects of sync and processing.

Look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bach d-minor concerto (complete)
Subject description: performed on the Aries Synthesizer

Quite a few years ago, I posted an MP3 (above) of my realization of Bach's Concerto in d-minor.

Long story short ... I decided to create modern, high-quality MP3's for all three movements.

These were recorded back in the 1970s on my Aries Synthesizer which, at the time had only 11 modules and a keyboard. I recorded the tracks on a Teac 3340s (four-channel) recorder.

The recorded tracks included all except the "lead" voice which I played live with the tape tracks (mostly at various Art Shows that happened quite a bit in the Kansas City area back then).

For these mixes, I carefully copied the analog tape tracks to digital and was able to clean up some of the undesirable noise and apply automated mixing, etc to get a better mixdown than I could with my original (primitive) mixer.

When I decided to re-learn and play the lead track, I used a touch-sensitive keyboard (something I did not have in the 1970s).

I also chose, for the lead voice on the 2nd movement, a "tuned air" kind of sound. I found it difficult to make the sound work because, while it sounded ok in the higher register, it lost clarity on the low notes. I added a sine wave tuned to a perfect 12th (the 3rd harmonic) above the unison. This worked for the low register but was too shrill for the upper register. The solution was to adjust the patch so that the sine wave faded out as the pitch ascends.

I hope you enjoy these tracks!

-- Kevin

BachDminor2ndMovement.mp3
 Description:
Bach d-minor concerto m2

Download
 Filename:  BachDminor2ndMovement.mp3
 Filesize:  13.67 MB
 Downloaded:  456 Time(s)

BachDminor3rdMovement.mp3
 Description:
Bach d-minor concerto m3

Download
 Filename:  BachDminor3rdMovement.mp3
 Filesize:  17.59 MB
 Downloaded:  450 Time(s)

BachDminor1stMovement.mp3
 Description:
Bach d-minor concerto m1

Download
 Filename:  BachDminor1stMovement.mp3
 Filesize:  18.01 MB
 Downloaded:  406 Time(s)

Last edited by kkissinger on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice Kevin :)
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Very nice Kevin Smile

Thank you!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin, I love this, it's one of my favorite Bach pieces. I love the choice of sounds, and the dynamic variations which most conventional orchestral performances don't dare to try. I especially like the last movement which at one point was a lol for me. Smile

For those not familiar with this type of classical music realization from the early days of electronic synthesis, Kevin played each part himself on a monophonic keyboard. There were no midi files in those days; no polyphony either. Brilliant.

Kevin, one thing, there is a dropout in the first movement at approximately 39 seconds. Must have happened on the upload.

Bravo!

kkissinger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Kevin, I love this, it's one of my favorite Bach pieces. I love the choice of sounds, and the dynamic variations which most conventional orchestral performances don't dare to try. I especially like the last movement which at one point was a lol for me. Smile

For those not familiar with this type of classical music realization from the early days of electronic synthesis, Kevin played each part himself on a monophonic keyboard. There were no midi files in those days; no polyphony either. Brilliant.

Kevin, one thing, there is a dropout in the first movement at approximately 39 seconds. Must have happened on the upload.

Bravo!

Howard, thanks for listening! I uploaded a new file for the 1st Movement -- sorry about the dropout -- my mistake Embarassed

I recorded the movements in order and by the time I reached the 3rd movement, I was in the mood for some levity.

Since I had only a four-channel recorder, I could not spare a track for a "click track". Indeed, I started with a click track but recorded over it once I had enough material on the other tracks. In order to play along with the recorded tracks in sync, I had to make sure there was always something happening often enough that I could stay in sync. Often it was a in the form of little doublings ("pointing the melody") or other things "hidden" in the accompaniment that matched the timbre of the solo track.

Thus, when I performed, I just listened to the recorded tracks and played along without headphones or click tracks.

With only four channels, one had to be a bit clever to make it all work.

I will end with another item I forgot to mention: in many places I had to mix individual tracks to mono. On these most recent mixes, I processed the mono through a "stereo processor" on the K2600 (my understanding is that Wendy Carlos designed the K2600's "mono-to-stereo" converter). It uses a combination of multiple eq paths and timing to create a pretty nice stereo spread.

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: