electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Using MIDI to jump between variations
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
lamefrillery

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Using MIDI to jump between variations Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this possible?

Best,
Farley
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yup, CC70 does the trick.
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm afraid I still don't understand how to set this up.

Since I'm going to be using a MIDI signal coming from a drum trigger, I have a note receiver set up for the note that the trigger is generating. After that, my assumption was to set up a control send module with the control set to 70 and the value set to whichever variation I wanted to jump to. Is that right?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems correct to me. Keep in mind though that the 8 variations are evenly spread over the the 128 possible MIDI data values for CC messages. This means that variation one is selected with values 0 .. 15, variation 2 with values 16 .. 31 etc.
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is the output of the control send module automatically routed so that if I'm producing control 70 with a value of say, 16, every time that C5 is hit I don't need to draw any cables coming out of the control send module? I don't see where I should be routing them to.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The CC70 control send has to be set to the slot the patch for which the variation has to be changed is in (in the midi channel selector) and then it will send when either the data value changes or when the the trigger input goes from low to high and that will make the variation change. This can be a bit confusing when the sending and receiving patch are the same, i.e. when the patch changes it's own variation, maybe first try to do it using two slots.

I'm not exactly sure from what you tell what sort of answer you'd need ...

lamefrillery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've attached the patch that I'm working on right now. It's a bit messy, so I apologize. What you'll see there is a melody and counter melody part that are controlled by MIDI note C4. They have the same rhythm. The bass part is sequenced there and controlled by C3. If you know the song (Wood Man for Mega Man 2) you should be able to play the whole thing by pressing just C3 and C4.

If you switch to variation 2 all of the notes in the sequencers set back to their default. I'm trying to use this so I can switch to the next part of the song without having to sequence everything in one humongous messy thing. I have the note receiver up there set for C5, but I don't really know what to do from there. My hope is to get it so that C5 will switch to variation 2, but I'm a bit stuck. Does what I'm trying to do make more sense now?

Thanks! Best,
Farley

Wood Man.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wood Man.pch2
 Filesize:  4.69 KB
 Downloaded:  1493 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I see, the patch must change it's own variation.

The gate from the C5 detector should go to the send input of the CtrlSend, that one will then send out a CC message when C5 is hit.

Then the channel for the CtrlSend must be set OK, assuming the patch is in slot A select "Slot A" under "chan".

Then you should copy the relevant settings from variation one to variation two, to make the 2nd variation have proper settings as well. You can right click on the variation 1 button to do that. Another way is to select all the modules that you want the copy the settings for. Then hit CTRL+C then go to variation 2 and hit CTRL+E (for windows that is, otherwise see manual please).

You can actually make a sequence this way to go to the next variation each time you hit C5. Just repeat the copying process sketched above for each variation that has to be in the sequence. Then in the first variation set the value of the CtrlSend module to 16, in the 2nd variation to 32 etc. and for the last variation (maybe variation 8) set it to 0 to "close the loop".

lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I seem to be experiencing a bit of a problem now. I did what you described and was able to get it to switch to variation 2 under Slot A. However, when I hit C5 and it switches over it will not let me go back to variation 1 even by clicking the bar on the top. It seems that there is a recurring command to switch from variation 1 to variation 2.

Any idea what that might be about?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot a detail, had no G2 operative to check, but I told you it would be tricky Laughing

Anyway, later I set up my G2s again and added a bit to your patch. In the patch attached I replaced the note detector with a switch in order to be able to test things without a kbd. This might just work with the note detector as well, if not I'm sure I could come up a fix_2 later Very Happy

(*)

wood_man_fix_1.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wood_man_fix_1.pch2
 Filesize:  4.8 KB
 Downloaded:  2416 Time(s)

Last edited by blue hell on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For experimentation it can be useful to temporarily disconnect the CC send input(s), so it won't go around like crazy.
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, this operates much more smoothly than what I was trying to do! Thanks.

So, what I'm seeing here is that pressing C5 in any variation except variation 2 will make it jump to variation 2, right? Is it possible to set it up so that pressing C5 within each variation will make it jump to a different one?

Say...

Pressing C5 in var1 makes you jump to var2. Pressing C5 in var2 makes you jump to var3. Just for kicks, pressing C5 in var3 makes you jump to var8...etc. Is that possible, too, or would you need to assign a different note for each variation?

Thanks for all of your help so far! I really appreciate it.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lamefrillery wrote:
Is it possible to set it up so that pressing C5 within each variation will make it jump to a different one?

Erm .. that's what it's supposed to be doing scratch

And it does so here with the button setup I made, not with the note detector?

lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The button works just fine. Hit the button in var1, goes to var2. Hit it in var2 it goes to var3...etc. When I have it respond to C5 it only jumps to var2 (from any var) and does nothing when in var2.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Strange, I just hooked up an external keyboard for the MIDI and it works as it should here ...
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you make any changes from the patch that you sent me using the on/off switch? I'm a bonafide newbie and even something slight is more than likely going to go right over my head Laughing
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I downloaded the patch from the forum to be sure and then disconnected the button and connected the s&h to the yellow output of the note detector instead - no changes other than that.
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, it looks like this, right? It keeps getting stuck in var2 for me. Let me know if you're experiencing the same problems with this patch. If you're not it must be something on my end in which case I'm in real trouble!

wood_man_isheadaches.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wood_man_isheadaches.pch2
 Downloaded:  1491 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That patch works OK here, so apparently your C5 differs from mine :shock:

Maybe try a pulse module, like in attached.

(*)

wood_man_fix_3.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wood_man_fix_3.pch2
 Downloaded:  2354 Time(s)

Last edited by blue hell on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, so the pulse module didn't work either. However! I switched it from C5 to B4 and now everything works perfectly. Haha Laughing

I think I'm starting to get this! C5 is cursed.

Thanks again!
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The other one works fine, as well, once I changed C5 to B4. I think that key might be broken on my Oxy8.
lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One more quick question while I'm at it. If I only want to alternate between var1 and var2, rather than cycling through all 8, how would I accomplish it? Like, B4 in var1 takes you to var2... B4 in var2 takes you to var1.

Edit: Actually, I set the constant value to 0 in var2 and it takes me back to var1. I think I'm beginning to understand!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lamefrillery wrote:
I think I'm beginning to understand!

Indeed Very Happy

lamefrillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, interesting new problem. When you load the patch and start playing, things sound fine. Once you change to the next variation, though, things get weird. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but it sounds as if the step sequencers in both var1 and var2 are playing simultaneously. I sequenced the next part of the song into var2 and it should be the only part playing (the part triggered by C4). However, what comes out sounds absolutely terrible as soon as you do the first var change. Any idea what's causing this?

Edit: Another update. I went through and muted every oscillator in var1-8 and whenever I hit C4 something is still playing but I have absolutely NO IDEA where it's coming from.

Wood Man working.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wood Man working.pch2
 Downloaded:  1469 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lamefrillery wrote:
I have absolutely NO IDEA where it's coming from.

From another slot maybe?

Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: