electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Feature Request: G2-a-like functions
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
erstlaub

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Feature Request: G2-a-like functions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings.

I recently dragged my NM out of retirement and have come across a few "issues" with v3.03 that I was wondering if there was the possibility that they may be addressed in some future update.

The main thing I'm really finding a pain is the lack of being able to set the colour of modules. I know there has been some talk about custom skins and the like but I personally would be far happier having a "boring" interface with that ability.

Would a midi learn style function ever be possible? The ability on the G2 to select a parameter, waggle a knob and hit the L key to assign it really helps speed up workflow.

Oh and the moon on a stick while you are at it please.

Keep up the awesome work, looking forward to the next update.

Cheers.

D

edit: i was talking rubbish about a potential problem I was having. Deleted
chresan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Erstlaub,

first the learning function for the parameters/knobs as far as I know is not possible because the synth does not send the necessary messages to the editor when an unassigned knob is turned. I will take a close look to ensure my assumption is correct.

For custom module colors the main problem is that I cannot change the patch format (file/synth) and even if it were possible these patches would not be compatible with clavias editor. However, I see two ways it can be realized. 1. The color settings could be stored in the notes section. 2. An algorithm could apply the module colors automatically by deducing what a module is used for (requires not to store the settings).

I understand that custom module colors is a very useful feature so chances are good this feature will make it into the next release.

Cheers
Christian

julien

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Christian,

Couldn't we create a save file format for nomad that would include the patch file + the additional needed information, such as modules' color. The save command would create such a bundle and we could add an "export to patch file" entry to save only the patch file that is compatible with the legacy NM editor. The "export" verb would also remind the user that the bundles contain more than the patch file and are not directly compatible with the legacy editor.

Julien
chresan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Julien,

to give you a precise reply I have to expose some goals of the nomad project. Basically the idea is to develop an infrastructure to implement editor views for arbitrary synthesizers which then can be embedded in Nomad. I have already developed and implemented a basic Patch API. As complement my plan is also to provide a generic patch file format.
Once this patch file format becomes real we could add such features like custom module colors.

It is clear that for nm1 patch files this makes the compatibility problem even worse. But there is a simple solution, instead of saving only the new patch file format we use a jar file as container and put both the new and the old file in there. So if someone has only clavias editor at hand he can unzip the compatible patch file and use it instantly.
The container format has further advantages. For example we can store variations of a patch or optionally thumbnails to provide a preview of the patch.

Now what do you say ? Very Happy

Christian

julien

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Now what do you say ?

That's exactly what I thought about.

Julien

PS: Christian, based on your answer I guess it was not clear that I am the "Julien" of the graphics modules.
chresan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julien wrote:
... PS: Christian, based on your answer I guess it was not clear that I am the "Julien" of the graphics modules.

Well, because of your user name and location: Brussels I was 90% sure it is you. I try to be detailed in my postings so people who are interested have some insight to the development process.

By the way, I am happy you are also member of this board now Smile

Christian

hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured this would be as good a location to post as any...

Anything in terms of additional modules or capabilities? Is that sort of thing just way more work than you guys are able to do?

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hyperstationjr wrote:
Anything in terms of additional modules or capabilities? Is that sort of thing just way more work than you guys are able to do?

Too hard indeed Very Happy

For the time being at least. It would require the software in the synth itself to be modified. Some people have raised the subject though of reverse engineering the synth itself, so you never know.

chresan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Feature Request: G2-a-like functions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erstlaub wrote:
The main thing I'm really finding a pain is the lack of being able to set the colour of modules.

Hi Erstlaub, I just implemented this feature in the Nomad editor. In the next release it will be possible to modify the module colors. The configuration is stored in the patch and is not lost - even if the patch was modified by clavias editor or stored in the synth.

The next release will be available in a few weeks (sorry I can't be more precise).

Christian Smile

license

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chresan I guess it sounds like you are already working on it, but I have an idea.

Instead of storing module colors in the notes section, how about a magic character that could be put into the name of the module to determine its color, e.g. # in "Main Osc #F4B" or "Sub Osc #Blue". I'm not sure which characters are legal for names in the editor as I haven't played with it, but there's probably at least one. Invalid input could be ignored, and also colors could be changed very quickly just by renaming a module. You could also hide the color from the name of the module until the module is renamed to make it look a little more attractive.

Just a thought. Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome license.

The problem of your proposal I think is that module names are limited to 16 characters.

license

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BlueHell, thank you! Very Happy

That is restrictive. But colors could be defined in as little as 2 characters - maybe a pound or similar special character like I mentioned and then a letter to determine just the hue.

This would probably be better than an RGB value not only because it takes up just one character but because it would be difficult to ensure readability with lots of variations in saturation and brightness.

If someone wanted to use all 16 characters they could do so and simply ignore the 2-character color markup and assign a default value.
chresan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The color values are encoded in the module names, not in the notes section like I said in my earlier posting.
Rather than specifying a color value a string is used as key which is seperated from the module name using the '$' character:
Code:
{module name} '$' {key}

The key can be associated with any color according to the users preferences (key1=red,key2=green,...).
I am currently using only the digits 1-9 as keys (like in Osc$1, Osc$2, ...). So there are only 2 additional characters necessary per module (except for the default color).

Christian

license

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it Smile
chresan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

license wrote:
Awesome, I'm looking forward to it Smile

Me too Smile . Actually I planned to release in February / March, but we did a massive rewrite of nomad which caused the delay. For the next release we mostly have to fix some bugs, what I hope it will not take too much time. There will be a lot of surprises for our users in the upcoming releases Very Happy

Christian

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: