electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Server problems!
Page 2 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These sorts of disasters happen. You've done well considering what happened and how fast you got the site more or less operational. I was rooting for you all last night, and when I got up this morning and the site wasn't up yet I knew it was a major problem.

Very glad to see you back up and running.

Home,My Studio,and another view
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
No, not Lost season 2, rather lost as in up Satanīs ass lost. Shocked Embarassed

Oh, MAN. They don't make latex gloves strong enough to reach up in there and... puker

Howard, truly heroic effort this weekend. I think Marge Simpson described my reaction to the outage best:

Marge Simpson wrote:
You know, Homer, when I found out about this, I went through a wide range of emotions. First I was nervous, then anxious, then wary, then apprehensive, then...kind of sleepy, then worried, and then concerned, but now I realize that being a spaceman is something you have to do.

James

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
No, not Lost season 2, rather lost as in up Satanīs ass lost. Shocked Embarassed

I'm sorry, I'm too dumb or old or something to understand this. Can someone say in straight English whether there is still a chance that the attachments will be recovered?

Thanks!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the moment it seems like thereare no backups of any attachments since october 2006. Gone! Embarassed Sad Sad
However, at least when it comes to G2 patces and such there is a possibility that Jan might have a lot stuffed away somewhere.
The really big problem is the DIY area. A lot of threads really donīt make much sense unless we kinda get the files reuploaded. Sad The only thing I can do is to promise that this time we will make sure that that the backups are working OK and that we really are using a third server. Embarassed

And.. please, we need your help to roam the threads and restore what is missing. And I mean help from all of you guys inside the DIY area.
Please Please Please

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Server problems!
Subject description: We are back!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
As you guys already know we have been offline for a couple of days.
We are back, but it will take a few days before everything is back to normal.
Most stuff is working OK, but the store is broken and we are missing all recent message attachments.

We are now sending Howard, our hero, to bed before he faints.
beer party! banana

What were the actual components that failed?
Motherboard, ram, drives, PS?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Server problems!
Subject description: We are back!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

What were the actual components that failed?
Motherboard, ram, drives, PS?

The Godaddy techs never really shared the symptoms they were experiencing with us. From our side we only saw that the server went offline. They were supposedly working on the "problem" for hours. Then they told us to reinstall the lot.

So.. we really donīt know... Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
yeah...I was forced to actually work on my synth instead of reading about working on synths...

Laughing I actually got my Klee boards stuffed. It was painful, though, knowing that Howard was out there going through what he must have gone through. Hope he's catching some Z's now.

Altogether now, let's find those attachments. Bad as it is, can you imagine the attachments surviving but not the text? I can remember an attachment, but not what I've said half the time - I've already forgotten what the first paragraph of this post is about.

Oh yeah, Laughing

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Bad as it is, can you imagine the attachments surviving but not the text? I can remember an attachment, but not what I've said half the time - I've already forgotten what the first paragraph of this post is about.

positive thinking at its best Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man, I came to see if everything is back ok so often I'm afraid I slowed down the server capacity Laughing . I was thinking about you and though I understand there's still a whole lot to do, I'm glad to see the forum back up. Thank you!! I'll scan through my mails to find useful attachments.

I never used Message icons, but Howard's glasses made made me do it.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard,

Stop beating yourself up. Shit happens. We ARE human. It's not so much a question of whether bad will find us, more a question of what we do when it does. Yes, we can learn from those lessons that life throws at us as pies in the face, but in the end, we wipe it off and get back to business. Style points are awarded in recovery mode. Well Done!

We as a community can learn from this. Off site redundancy is a blessing. Having things saved in multiple locations, formats, sites, etc is insurance. Anything All of us can dig up to replace the lost will help. I will do what I can.

I too had fun with the storms the other night. I took a solid hit not long after the site went down. The lightning strike brought everything in the house to its knees. Sudden onset darkness / silence is an eerie thing. I don't think I breathed for at least a couple of minutes when the whole house came back to life. I was lucky.

Like I said, shit happens. Now what? Live, learn, fix, lick wounds, count our blessings. Thank Howard! Thank all of his helpers. Reload what we can, redo the rest.

Herculean effort. Most shops would be glad to be back up so soon after that big a hit.

Glad to see it back up. GOOD JOB!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy cow Howard !!! 18 Hours !!! Thank you and thanks to Elektro80 and anyone else involved! I will try and dig up anything that I have uploaded to the DIY forum. I know I can re-upload the Klee BOM's .... and a number of other items ......

Can I send you 10 pack of Visine eye drops???

A very happy and appreciative member ....

Bill ....

PS: Don't sweat the lost attachments. That's what makes you so great Howard, you ARE human !!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed a post here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-18042.html

where a graphic seems to be embedded rather than attached. Is is OK to do this? How do you do it, even? Might have saved some of us a bit of trouble. Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
I noticed a post here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-18042.html

where a graphic seems to be embedded rather than attached. Is is OK to do this? How do you do it, even? Might have saved some of us a bit of trouble. Very Happy

Easy to embed an image that is on another web site. Just type in the url to the image with "http://" , highlight it and click on the IMG button in the post editor. The advantage is that it is quick and easy and you don't have to copy the image to your computer and upload it with the attachment feature. The disadvantage is that when the site changes the image or goes away, the forum topic looses it.

State Machine, to reload an attachement, just follow these instructions:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-20016.html

Thanks all for your encouragement and support. I really appreciate it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
State Machine, to reload an attachement, just follow these instructions:

Got it Cool Thanks Very Happy

Bill
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Easy to embed an image that is on another web site. Just type in the url to the image with "http://" , highlight it and click on the IMG button in the post editor. The advantage is that it is quick and easy and you don't have to copy the image to your computer and upload it with the attachment feature. The disadvantage is that when the site changes the image or goes away, the forum topic looses it.
Got it, thanks. So it would be a good way to show figs I already have up on my website. Very useful!

Ian
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One valuable (?) aspect of this forum is that it is a self documenting historical record of the community. Maybe it is silly, but I like the attachments because they have a little permanence (forget the recent server/backup event). I'm very much aware that nothing is permanent, but but it is also true that everything effects everything else. On the cosmic scale a super nova and the beat of a butterfly's wings are relatively of the same order.

Think if we had a written record of Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin talking about painting, or Schoenberg and Webern talking about composition. I personally don't have it in me to read records of other people's lives, but some people do. In the future someone might give a talk about our community at some undreamed electro-music event in another galaxy. drunken farao happy smoker

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Easy to embed an image that is on another web site. Just type in the url to the image with "http://" , highlight it and click on the IMG button in the post editor.

yep! and everyone could do this for his own pictures, sketches and graphics, even with no own webspace. just load the pictures up to i.e. flickr (or similiar) and then put a link in here...

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a thought, you can easily establish what files you have uploaded since oct 06, by clicking on yr profile name, where it is listed at the bottom of the page (Next to where it says: Registered Users). On your profile screen you can then view all of your posts in a given area, such as "G2 files", "Audio" etc.

Gonna have a look at replacing some for you guys tonight. Though I am not sure I have some of the really dirty quick patches made to explain/test things.

Cheers

R.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I re-uploaded the experimental ChucK-build hosted here, that one is kinda important to Windows-based ChucKists (for now) and unavailable elsewhere.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
On the cosmic scale a super nova and the beat of a butterfly's wings are relatively of the same order.

Ok. In that case I'll see you when you go to the Hague to stand trial for killing the micro-organisms on the dishes last night.

Laughing

Randaleem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard,

One cannot say THANK YOU! enough for what you've done. Words alone do not convey the feelings. There needs to be...

Music! Very Happy

Your hard work and efforts are VERY much appreciated!

It's good to have electro-music back!

Randal
13"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to see things back again! and big thanks to all of you whoīs been working hard to fix the broken stuff.
-Martin
RADIAL

G2 patch files: 20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks to Jan, Howard and all, who helped to bring the things on the way again - obseiance!!! Very Happy
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Howard, Jan, and others for the great effort in getting em back online. I hope we can recover ...

And all this chaos just a few weeks after a nice relaxing European Modular event... I'll blame it on the rooster ...
/Dasz
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Howard in trying to keep the forum self-referential. There is always the gallery area here at e-m.com, you can post a picture there, then in the forum use IMG to link to it. So the picture is hosted here, AND the forum has a better continuity to it.
Page 2 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: