electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
Solina G2
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
FlowerP

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Solina G2
Subject description: Solina String-Ensemble emulation
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The sound of the Solina String-Ensemble is a true classic. It was heard on a large number of records during the 70ies.

I've been working on the Solina G2 patch for around 6 months. Final fine-tuning required access to sounds of a real Solina. Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain the necessary Solina recordings. Eventually I bought a Solina just to use as reference.

The Solina G2 patch is structurally modelled after the Solina schematics. Filter settings have been adjusted with assistance from oscilloscope and my ears. A few of the filter settings deviate quite a lot from what was expected from the schematics. The chorus ensemble settings are based on schematics, a circuit simulation and my ears. In the end all main and bass voices sound (and look on 'scope) very similar to my real Solina, both without and with ensemble-effect active.

After eliminating all non-essential elements from the voice area, memory load is 33,6 %. This allows up to 9 voices on an unexpanded G2 and 21 on an expanded.

The FX area contains the chorus ensemble. It has evolved from a recreation of the Korg SDD-3300 triple digital delay. Some controls from the SDD-3300 patch have remained even though they are not essential for the Solina chorus. For the Solina emulation a paraphonic envelope, chorus mono/stereo routing, tone control and volume control have been added. And the low strings (monophonic bass) are also part of the FX area.

By switching the FX area input from Bus 1/2 to In 1/2 (or 3/4) you can use the patch as a general chorus ensemble effect.

The Solina buttons and sliders are mapped to parameter pages A1 and A2. The Tone control (A1:4) controls the cutoff frequency of a 6 dB/oct lowpass filter. The Main Level control (A2:6) is independent from the Patch Level control (MIDI CC #7) and is intended for matching levels between variations. The Routing Source (A2:8) selects chorus output routing. Position 2 (of 4) is called "Mono3" and this is the standard mono Solina chorus setting.

Pages B1-E3 are only for experimental/developmental purposes. Use at your own risk!

Variations 1-8 are populated with miscellaneous settings. Please note that the Main Level is below 0 dB in most variations. This is to achieve approximately equal volume in all variations. When you experiment with your own Solina G2 settings, you can set Main Level to 0 dB in order to optimize S/N ratio.

This is a demo recording of the patch. No effects are used except for the chorus that is an integral part of the patch.

You may download and use my Solina G2 patch for free. If you enjoy the patch and would like to help cover my expenses (buying a Solina that will probably sell at a loss due to it being in worse condition than was obvious when bought), a contribution of $5-10 via Paypal (to Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.) would be very much appreciated.

Have fun!

Solina and G2.jpg
 Description:
My setup during the final phase of patch creation.
 Filesize:  194.81 KB
 Viewed:  882 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Solina and G2.jpg

SolinaG2_layout.jpg
 Description:
The patch layout.
 Filesize:  458.04 KB
 Viewed:  956 Time(s)

SolinaG2_layout.jpg

SolinaG2_parameters.jpg
 Description:
Parameter pages. Normally only pages A1 and A2 should be used. See text above for more info.
 Filesize:  56.06 KB
 Viewed:  847 Time(s)

SolinaG2_parameters.jpg

Solina G2 v2.0_var.pch2
 Description:
The patch.

Download
 Filename:  Solina G2 v2.0_var.pch2
 Filesize:  7.92 KB
 Downloaded:  2251 Time(s)

Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, will check out when I can. It's true dedication to purchase a synth fir reference.

It reminds me, when I get five minutes I need to post my AN1x "mega drone" emulation if people are interested!

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice patch, wonderful emulation and a good story to read flowerP! I enjoyed it very much.

BTW somebody just dropped a working Solina String Ensemble at my place. Just a little dirty, that's all (okay, crackles in the pots, of course), but still making sound. What shall I do with it? Any suggestions?

Wout
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:

BTW somebody just dropped a working Solina String Ensemble at my place. Just a little dirty, that's all (okay, crackles in the pots, of course), but still making sound. What shall I do with it? Any suggestions?

You could always give it to me? Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Are you coming to collect it or would you like to pay for the shipment?
If there is a way...
I didn't pay for it, so it's for free.
(Am I really Dutch? Wink

Wout
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny, talk about synchronism, there is topic about the Solina in the DIY forum too, http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-19880.html.

I was not familiar with the Solina until I read this topic. I listened to some of the linked music in that other topic. Laurie Anderson's O Superman video

is really cool. I played this patch along with the vid and it matched amazingly well. Great job, FlowerP.

Funny, this synth is a string synth but it doesn't sound like strings to me. More like an organ. In any case, no matter what you call it you did an excellent emulation. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout, why not auction it off and donate the money to electro-music.com? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
Are you coming to collect it or would you like to pay for the shipment?
If there is a way...
I didn't pay for it, so it's for free.
(Am I really Dutch? Wink

Wout

Wow. Are you serious?? What kind of condition is it in? Does it work?? Question Exclamation

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always thought the ultimate Solina (or ARP String Ensemble) "hit" was Gary Wright's Dream Weaver. I have the record, it's still kinda fun to listen to it (still have two working turntables hooked up).

Randy
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it works. I'll will ask Rob to examine the thing and I believe his findings are rather objective. Electro80 chimed also in to be interested. I wish I had two...
Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Wout, why not auction it off and donate the money to electro-music.com? Wink

If I didn't take it, it would be given to the garbage man... So any suggestion...

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't giving it away to a moderator, a hard working man in the forum, not a donation to electro-music.com?

Wout
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorta...

I don't need the Solina because the G2 patch sounds like it and has variations to boot.

FlowerP

G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Solina G2 v2.5 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is an updated version of Solina G2 based on even closer study of my real Solina String Ensemble. The structural changes from the previous patch version are larger than the audible differences. Nevertheless, this patch represents the closest Solina emulation that I'm able to obtain with NMG2.

Some months ago I disassembled my Solina, because it needed service. With the circuit boards exposed, it became possible to study waveforms at multiple points along the internal signal flow. Waveforms were studied both visually on oscilloscope and audibly through monitor speakers or headphones. The added information gained from this process has allowed a more accurate simulation of the Solina circuits. Unfortunately, the patch load has increased, so with Solina G2 v2.5 you get up to 6 voices on an unexpanded NMG2 and 14 on an expanded.

To use the FX area as a general purpose chorus ensemble, some minor changes to the patch would be necessary to bypass the monophonic amplitude + filter envelope.

Parameter pages A1 and A2 are the same as in the previous patch version. All other parameter pages have been erased. No variations have been programmed.

This is a demo recording of the patch. No effects are used except for the chorus that is an integral part of the patch and a small amount of reverb/delay on the final part.

I see two remaining major problems with simulating a Solina on NMG2 with this patch. Both are due to the architecture of NMG2, and thus unlikely to be solved.

1. Lack of phase coherency between voices. This makes octave intervals sound bad, since the phase relationship between the voices is random instead of fixed (as in a TOS + divider type instrument). Repeatedly playing an octave interval sounds slightly (and sometimes not so slightly) different every time. A new oscillator module would be needed for this purpose. The algorithm is already implemented in Nord Electro/Stage/C1 organ simulation, so it is obviously doable.

2. Lack of key-to-voice assignment mode other than "Rotate". When repeatedly pressing the same key, you want the same voice to retrigger. Otherwise you get more and more voices playing the same note, and successively increasing the volume if Sustain is set high.

SolinaG2-2.5_layout.jpg
 Description:
Patch layout
 Filesize:  444.34 KB
 Viewed:  689 Time(s)

SolinaG2-2.5_layout.jpg

SolinaG2-2.5_parameters.gif
 Description:
Parameter pages
 Filesize:  11.55 KB
 Viewed:  574 Time(s)

SolinaG2-2.5_parameters.gif

Solina G2 v2.5.pch2
 Description:
The patch

Download
 Filename:  Solina G2 v2.5.pch2
 Filesize:  10.65 KB
 Downloaded:  1910 Time(s)

W.T.

G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good emulation! sounds like my solina Smile
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
Jump to: