electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
An Open Letter to the Thomas Henry Forum
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:  An Open Letter to the Thomas Henry Forum
Subject description: Please Read
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When my son took this picture of us, Thomas specifically wanted me to upload it to the forum. He had a very definite reason for that.

He wanted to convey the point that this forum is based on friends sharing a common interest. He thought that nothing would illustrate that point more than a picture of two guys meeting just to discuss everything Synth DIY, and even other things - everyone goes OT now and then.

Thomas didn't request the following, this is me talking now: I don't want to sound maudlin, but we do what we do because we love it. Period. We love the art of electronic music, and we love the art of building our own musical instruments to make that music. We love the quest for knowledge; to understand things just a little more than we did before we logged onto the forum. We love discovering new, unique ways to create our music and our instruments. We love carefully putting that contraption together, tuning it up, and experiencing the functionality that we have wrought with our own two hands. We love looking at how others create their instruments, and admiring their work, and learning from each other.

Our purpose here isn't to make money; if we see something we like, we build it. If we can make it easier for others to build, we may, with permission, manufacture a PCB of someone else's sweat, toil and inspiration. We do that because we want to contribute. We ask permission, we don't ask for licensing. We provide out of the noble desire to give something back for what we ourselves have learned; to keep the thread going. We're here to create; to profit artistically, not monetarily, and to never take advantage. If you want to make money, buy Horowitz and Hill, the CMOS cookbook, Electronotes, etc., and expect to spend a good chunk of your life designing circuits. You can expect crushing failure and perhaps that moment of eureka that is yours and yours alone. Then you can sell your own creations for whatever you want.

The designs you see here are for everybody. This forum is not someone's personal field of dreams ripe for monetary harvest; it belongs to us all. If you want to make money, but can't hack Horowitz and Hill, go apply at Moog, Roland, Korg, or Yamaha.

In short: Should you create your own design, by all means sell it for whatever you want. If you want permission to do a PCB of someone else's work, ask. If that person says no, do not persist. If you have permission to do a PCB of someone else's design, make it available, don't lose money, but don't think profiting monetarily from some other guy's good intentions is OK here. It's not. There's no quicker way to kill a good thing.

This picture is of two friends, talking Synth DIY, the same thing that happens on this forum everyday.

Th&ss.jpg
 Description:
Two typical Synth DIY guys.
 Filesize:  42.94 KB
 Viewed:  1378 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Th&ss.jpg

Last edited by Scott Stites on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Who's Who? To be a fly on that wall.

Well said Scott. I bet y'all had a good time. This is the only forum to come to if you want to learn something and "meet" great people. I hope it stays that way for a long time. I read some nasty things on other forums. Everyone really keeps their cool here.

thanks MOSC and the rest of y'all for creating a great atmosphere for electronic music ceativity.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey WZ,

The guy on the left (the tall one) is Thomas. I have no idea who that short guy on the right is Very Happy

Quote:
Well said Scott. I bet y'all had a good time. This is the only forum to come to if you want to learn something and "meet" great people. I hope it stays that way for a long time. I read some nasty things on other forums. Everyone really keeps their cool here.

Me, too. I mentioned a while back to somebody that EM has always seemed like an oasis. The level of respect I see in the interaction here has always impressed me.

Quote:
thanks MOSC and the rest of y'all for creating a great atmosphere for electronic music ceativity.

I frankly don't know how Mosc has accomplished it, but I think he's established something very unique and valuable to us all. He's managed to create a wonderful blend of the technical and the aesthetic into one seamless entity. My hat is permanently off to him. I'd like to see it continue forever.......

Cheers,
Scott

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah heads up for great guys like Thomas, Scott, Jurgen, Ian, Fonik and all others who make up this nice and friendly DIY comunity.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Kudos to all here who contribute so helpfully!

For those of us fortunate enough to have attended EM events in person, (Em 2007 for instance), the atmosphere of acceptance, enveloping cool, and laidback harmony found here is resonant in the flesh at these gatherings. Howard and his ilk are to be congratulated on birthing and raising such a "child". Howard has many members of this family that help to raise this "child" and keep it safe. I am eternally grateful to be allowed to be a playmate of it.

Thank you ALL!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well-said, Scott, and thanks for posting the picture. Thanks for the kind words all.

This community is amazing. Sometimes, I just can't believe it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: An Open Letter to the Thomas Henry Forum

Scott Stites wrote:
DIY, and even other things - everyone goes OT now and then.

Now and then! That's an understatement! As I recall, over three days we covered the topics of: George Armstrong Custer, the Lakota Indians, paleontology, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Civil War soldiers, Bleeding Kansas, Gus Grissom, the Vietnamese and cheese, lackluster community college teachers, parents, new flooring and toilets, dinner tables, and of course, everyone's favorite topic: energy vampires.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few themes.

Oh yeah, we did talk about analog synthesis, too...

Thomas Henry
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Enjoyed reading the posts here.

Just want to add my words of gratitude to the electro-music.community.

Howard has cultivated a community where people treat each other with respect and value each others' contributions. Such an environment empowers people to share music, circuit designs, patches, and off-topic conversation, too.

Many thanks to all.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Oh yeah, we did talk about analog synthesis, too...

Oddly, that subject did come up now and then. It was pretty neat, because often things would segue from VCOs to how some legally binding documents became mysteriously invalid through age/mustiness while other much older/mustier documents somehow held the rule of law. Then it was back to sequencers and CA3080s....

It was a great time. Thomas' autobiography would be a great read, and not just for those in synth/synth diy land, either.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Enjoyed reading the posts here.

I am not a DIY guy by any means but I agree with Kevin. Scott you wrote a very good message Exclamation

Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah- like two people having a jam together. It's a very intense and enjoyable moment.

Nice words Scott. Good moderating Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bitmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hear, hear! Nicely said, Scott, though I certainly hope that side businesses like Magic Smoke, MFOS, and sMs don't violate the DIY spirit too much.

Great to put some faces to names, there -- especially Thomas, since I've been a fan since the Polyphony days. (No offense intended, Scott, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)

I also tip my hat to Mosc. Thanks for the E-M forums!

John Mahoney
magsmoke.com

P.S. I'll see about getting pictures of Tim and me up on the magsmoke site (which I'm updating this evening). I don't I have a pic of us both, though, since we've never met in person.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words, John. Hey you can meet in Philly next year at electro-music 2008. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Thomas' autobiography would be a great read, and not just for those in synth/synth diy land, either.

I've been on the verge of asking about Thomas Henry's history in synths a couple of times....then he releases a new schematic, or book, or authorizes a pcb... and I'm distracted for another couple weeks.
I think it's a clever plot Mr. Henry - very clever indeed. Cool

By the way - great post Scott!
bruce
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bitmonkey wrote:
Hear, hear! Nicely said, Scott, though I certainly hope that side businesses like Magic Smoke, MFOS, and sMs don't violate the DIY spirit too much.

You're the least of our worries John, as you, MFOS and sMs were all invited to join the electro-music.com DIY forums Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: An Open Letter to the Thomas Henry Forum

Scott Stites wrote:
I don't want to sound maudlin, but we do what we do because we love it.

Not maudlin at all. If only more people would be as real, the world would be a better place.

Thanks for the pic! Nice to put faces on the creativity, ingenuity, knowledge, and humor you guys bring. I'm very grateful for the privilege of being allowed to lurk among so many cool, intelligent folks. Cool

Thanks!

Regards,
Joe
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great to see the pic Scott! Thanks for posting that! Agreeance all around as well. Smile
I'm very glad that I found this group. It has the same wonderful feel overall that the newsgroup rec.music.synth (NOT rec.music.makers.synth) had in my earliest modular building days in '91 / '92. Helpful / friendly, all around. No other mailing list or group before my joining EM, has had that feeling.

Also - thanks muchlee for starting it in the 1st place Mosc. I hope to eventually be able to help others as much as I've been helped already. Smile

Special thanks as well for all of your great work that I've read about and built over the years: Ian, Thomas and Jurgen. Smile
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

This community is amazing. Sometimes, I just can't believe it.

Nor I.

Thomas Henry
Undergrind

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for this open letter. Im here for about 1 day now and i must say this forum is a dream come true for me.

things like your designs presented to the world makes it such a great place. my experience is that presents to the world, and would it only be a smile "pay off" instantly. Not always as money but as much more valuable things like friendship or so.

thank you!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music, Undergrind!

I hope electro-music will prove as fruitful to you as it has been for me. There are a great bunch of people here.

Cheerio,
Scott

Ayab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

Just to say what a great picture & story of two modular synth design guru's. It is great to hear of you enjoying your interest that you have been so generous with to others. Very best wishes to both of you and thank you so much for your amazing work. Sending you good vibes and very best wishes from London.

(Must have seemed like you were speaking in strange code language to others Wink !!)

I purchased a mutant vactrol filter - led me to thinking about diy and now am building an SN Voice. Quadrature generator parts all ready.

I have great respect for you both. Thank you.
stringsthings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really appreciate dudes like Thomas Henry who give us DIY'ers inspiration and help us along our DIY path. And forums like this where we can meet up on the net and discuss and share ideas and more.

I'm fairly new to the synth DIY scene but I'm an old-timer DIY from guitar pedal making. I started a long time ago with the Craig Anderton books and and magazine articles.

It's wonderful that the net has brought us forums to share that same DIY spirit that Anderton and others provided so long ago.
Ayab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad I'm not the only one adding years later comments! And could not agree with you more. Well said Wink
JCHaywire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Hear Hear! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for this thread and the sentiments expressed above. Maudlin?! Just rock solid.
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: