electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Putrescent fetid festering evil republicans
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Putrescent fetid festering evil republicans Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ann Coulter

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-rutten13oct13,0,1859447.column?coll=la-home-center

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sigh. I always thought she was an evil spawn from hell, but remember when I went overseas to the arguably more liberal UK, Clinton was still president, and Rush Limbaugh was still a Big Fat Idiot.

Everything I have heard or read of her is that she is an airhead who somehow got credibility through affiliation with the conservatives. I never got the impression that she's at all educated about the subjects she seems to be so interested in dishing dirt on. I get the impression that she's like a high school girl who writes well, but simplistically stacks poisonous and snide innuendo upon whatever she doesn't think belongs in her little box of a world.

I'd say only in America, but she's hardly unique.

Anyway, this from one of the first to be up against the wall, once Bush declares martial law and annexes the UK in order to reel in the damn libruls sayin heresies from over in Yurp.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me guess, her defence is

A) insanity
B) being a rightous white american christian
C) being a republican
D) all of the above?

What is it with this Ann Coulter? She won´t become the next Mr. Bean with that material.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ann Coulter on CNBC Show: Jews Need 'Perfecting' - transcript

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Not good at all.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

No, not good at all. Stomach turning, perhaps literally.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Not good at all.

Scary stuff Shocked

bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Let me guess, her defence is

A) insanity
B) being a rightous white american christian
C) being a republican
D) all of the above?

What is it with this Ann Coulter? She won´t become the next Mr. Bean with that material.

I think she is an opportunist who enjoys the idea of punishing people who don't meet "her standards." I can think of rulers of countries today that would fit that bill. Thugs and criminals they are at heart. Likely she could enjoy being a dictator who could set this country right... so I think it's all of the above. I.E. I think she's likely a sadistic megalomaniacal self righteous white american christian republican women.

What a gift god has given us in her. I mean what does he do in his spare time that stuff like this gets through--who the hell does he have in quality control?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
who the hell does he have in quality control?

The basic idea was it to be a one man band I thought ... or maybe the devil does QC Rolling Eyes

The scary thing is that the lady doesn't seem to have the slightest idea what she could possibly have said wrong, which might mean she is not alone with those ideas.

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....more like evil individual, as i haven't read anything defending her (aside from dumb christian email list banter). it's also worth noting that i read this story days before i saw it anywhere else....on the fox news website (with the full transcript, and absolutely no defending of her). it's also worth noting bachus, that she is not a politician...she is a freaking entertainer trying to sell a book. this shouldn't be any more disturbing than sheryl crow calling for everyone to use only one sheet of toilet paper per "potty time".

when i see al sharpton acting like an ass, i don't assume he speaks for, represents, or even reflects "democrats", black americans, or christians. of course, it's easy to take one's outrage at an individual and apply it to a group....it doesn't make it accurate (and it's not).

it's worth noting that this story hasn't had much attention (compared to don imus, for instance). given the anti bush sentiment in the media, it's doubtful that this is because of "widespread rightwing media bias protecting her"...it's because ann coulter is irrelevant....i can't recall reading anything she has written, or seen her on tv without just changing the channel. we are told she is "important", but have you ever heard/read anyone of any influence quoting her to support their cause.

all that said, i don't think that her words here are too far from what many christians believe...that the u.s. should be a christian nation, and that when the end times come, jews will convert and become "perfected"....this is quite separate from political party affiliation.

you can look this up yourself almost anywhere. i'm not defending this view in any way (any more than i would defend osama bin laden's call for americans to convert to islam, white supremisim or the inquisition for that matter)...but these beliefs do exist, and are probably more common than most "free thinkers" here would feel comfortable thinking about.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/millenni.htm
Quote:
Postmillennialism: (Also known as "Christian Reconstruction", "Kingdom Now Theology" and "Dominion Theology.") This belief arose during the early 19th century CE. According to author Loraine Boettner, Postmillennialism involves "that view of last things which holds that the kingdom of God is now being extended in the world through the preaching of the gospel and the saving work of the Holy Spirit, that the world eventually is to be Christianized, and that the return of Christ will occur at the close of a long period of righteousness and peace, commonly called the millennium." 12 The theory is based on the perception of a gradual movement towards social perfection. They predicted that a massive religious revival, spiritual awakening and purification would occur. The entire human race is converted to Christianity, including the Jews. A millennium of peace and righteousness follows. After the millennium, Jesus returns to earth, resurrects the dead believers, and conducts the last judgment. The Rapture and Tribulation are largely ignored. This belief is being actively promoted today by the Chalcedon Foundation and other groups within the Christian Reconstruction movement.
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deknow, all I am saying in regard to parties and affiliations is this.

Ann coulter Venn.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.91 KB
 Viewed:  150 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Ann coulter Venn.jpg

deknow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and what is an "ann coulter type?" a woman? an author of distateful books? an entertainer that grabs headlines by saying hateful things?

you used a lower case "r"...but also used a plural "s"...so, besides ann coulter, who are the others?

yes, i know you hate rush limbaugh, fox news, sean hannity...but my reading of this thread is that the topic is what ann coulter said in this interview...who else goes in the "ann coulter type" circle of your diagram?

deknow
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="deknow...who else goes in the "ann coulter type" circle of your diagram?
deknow[/quote]

Those who find her works amusing or on point, who the fuck else?

deknow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i certainly don't find ann coulter amusing, or on point. in no way am i defending her....

...this guy seems to fit the bill. he is so distasteful that electro80 had a hard time believing he was not a parody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-11290-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fred+phelps

...and he has not only supported democrats (including the winner of the nobel peace prize), but has run for office 5 times...winning 31% of the vote in a us senate DEMOCRATIC primary in 92.

oh, and his son:
http://www.maggotpunks.com/headlines/2002-08-13.htm
hosted a fundraiser in 88 for al gore (which was attended by al and tipper) and served as a gore delegat in the 88 dnc.

he's pretty close to a "ann coulter type" in my book...but he doesn't fit your diagram. i certainly don't hold Democrats (or even democrats) responsible for him (although he got a hell of a lot of votes from democrats).

deknow
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fred Phelps, indeed, I initially thought the whole thing was a nest of nasty parody sites. It must be said that I also considered these "parody sites" to be too nasty to be of any real value. So, then the WBC turned out to be real. Twisted, but real.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...i certainly don't find ann coulter amusing, or on point. in no way am i defending her....

...this guy seems to fit the bill. he is so distasteful that electro80 had a hard time believing he was not a parody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-11290-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fred+phelps

...and he has not only supported democrats (including the winner of the nobel peace prize), but has run for office 5 times...winning 31% of the vote in a us senate DEMOCRATIC primary in 92.

oh, and his son:
http://www.maggotpunks.com/headlines/2002-08-13.htm
hosted a fundraiser in 88 for al gore (which was attended by al and tipper) and served as a gore delegat in the 88 dnc.

he's pretty close to a "ann coulter type" in my book...but he doesn't fit your diagram. i certainly don't hold Democrats (or even democrats) responsible for him (although he got a hell of a lot of votes from democrats).

deknow

How many books has he sold?
How many has our dear little Anny sold?
What kind of name recognition does Phelps have?
How much has our dear little Anny?
How much television audience does he hold?
And how much poor little Anny?

If you think Coulter and Phelps are significantly comparable in terms of influence and impact you will have to provide substantial and documented analysis to convince virtually anyone that your not just blowing smoke to distract from the fact that a significant portion of the Republican party is dangerous.

bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me say that I don't think you are being malicious in your deception I believe you are honestly decieving yourself as well.
deknow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was about to post:
Quote:
whatever dude....you clearly aren't capable of having an actual discussion about this.

good luck working out that anger thing.

deknow

...but i'll bite. what do you think i'm "decieving myself" about?

deknow
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
i was about to post:
Quote:
whatever dude....you clearly aren't capable of having an actual discussion about this.

good luck working out that anger thing.

deknow

...but i'll bite. what do you think i'm "decieving myself" about?

deknow

That Phelps and Coulter are comparables in such a way that they have any relevancy to the Venn diagram that I presented and the issue I would actually raise. Either that or you refuse to believe that the Venn Diagram was all I was trying to assert. Please note that on the Democratic side the Phelps’s set would by an order of magnitude smaller than the Coulter set on the Republican side if the diagram was meant in any was to approach scale.

deknow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....what a load!

i can't possibly anticipate every issue you "would raise"...i can only respond to the issues you _have_ raised...which to me, seems to be ann coulters hateful attitude(s)....and fred phelps' are just as distasteful (if not more). you titled this thread "Putrescent fetid festering evil republicans", and used only this one example of ann coulter to support it. sorry, this is just one republican...and one who has never run for office.

"magnitude of impact" is a whole other ball of wax...but you of course didn't bring this up until the last couple of posts....your venn diagram does not address this at all, not one bit....doesn't even hint at it.

your definition of an "ann coulter type" (as labeled in your venn diagram) as being "one who finds her work on point or amusing" has nothing to do with magnitude of influence....and again, doesn't even hint at it.

imho, fred phelps is an excelent example of an "ann coulter type" if you consider an "ann coulter type" as a "hateful intolerant person who thinks everyone should think like they do"...but fred is the real deal. he is not an entertainer getting booked by both liberal and conservative media in order to boost their ratings (and to sell her books)...he _has_ shown up at the elementary school i attended to protest...he has people who follow him religiously (from protest to protest), and he has come shockingly close to being elected BY DEMOCRATS.

as i pointed out before, he has been an active fundraiser for democrats...how does ann do in fundraising?
http://www.coloradoconfidential.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=28
...not well.

in any case, i'm rather tired of this. you seem to want me to either respond to what is in your head (but don't write), or think that if i don't believe what you believe that i must be decieved. whatever, i generally give people credit for being able to have their own opinioins, even if i don't agree with them...you don't seem to be able to do the same.

deknow
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The clever US 2 party system has assured that there will always be a fair number of fascistoid airheads in both camps.
And there is no chance that Ann Coulter is a parody act funded by Hillary in order to stain the reputation of the republican party? No? Sad

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, she is not a parody act...but not so far off. more like a trained monkey who's antics boost the ratings of any liberal or conservative show she appears on. dance monkey, dance!

deknow
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the defense of Ann Coulter as an "entertainer" who doesn't really believe the toxic waste that she spews out is fundamentally flawed. I'm a little surprised that deknow would bring it up, apparently without a trace of irony... but perhaps I don't know deknow very well.

It's true that people are masters of compartmentalizing their lives -- a sad example from the left might be a Hollywood actor showing up to an environmental rally driving a Hummer. That's just ignorance, or hypocrisy, plain and simple. But hate, or at the very least contempt for people different from oneself, is extremely flammable, liable to ignite and consume you at any moment.

I don't know which is worse: to hold contempt for blacks, gays, Jews, immigrants etc. in your heart and head and suppress it, letting it rot inside it until it explodes in a dramatic and embarrassing fury (as we saw with Michael Richards and Mel Gibson)... or to cultivate it as a posture that you tell yourself is "fake" but which deep down, you really believe. Sooner or later, you will slip up, the facade will crack, and the truth will come out, as it did for George "Macaca" Allen. And when it does, which is more embarrassing? The initial slip, or the stupefying attempts to backpedal and explain that "I didn't really mean it after all, and I'm not really racist/sexist/homophobic/anti-Semitic"?

The LA Times article points out the most disturbing connection -- that Coulter's belief that Christianity "completes" or "fulfills" Judaism is the intellectual pillar of the same kind of anti-Semitism that led through the centuries up to the Holocaust. So what does she really believe?

And who is naive enough to believe that people, who shell out hard-earned cash for the dubious privilege of exposing themselves to her rants, have the inclination to separate the public facade from the inner sweetness and light which I suppose we are expected to assume she has buried somewhere inside? They buy her books because she says what they are thinking, but are afraid to say. To say that she is just an "entertainer" -- and to imply that no one takes her seriously -- is disingenuous at best.

James

bachus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The clever US 2 party system has assured that there will always be a fair number of fascistoid airheads in both camps.

Many of us in the US would like to move to a parliamentary system but that would be very difficult to do. In the wake of the damage that GW has wrought on this country and others one might hope it would be given more consideration.

deknow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, i think she believes this stuff...i don't think it's simply an act. and in no way do i defend her. what i've been objecting to here is using her hateful and sensationalistic words as a reason to paint "republicans" as evil.

that said, none of the media reports i've read of this incident (and again, no where near the attention that don imus got) defend her in any way...it's all critical of her...which it should be.

why was she on this show in the first place? because the host agrees with her? no. because the host wants to debunk her? no. because having her on the show is almost guaranteed to boost ratings? dingdingding! we have a winner!

believe me, i have been on the recieving end of this kind of thinking...when i was maybe 12, there was a miniseries on matzada on tv (starring peter otool, i believe). i had a good friend who's mother was a severe "born again type" (she didn't like her son to play dungons and dragons due to the occult aspect...and they attended the local version of a megachurch). in any case, she was giving me a ride home one day, and i was talking about a local lecture (by an archelogist in a town sponsered lecture series) on matzada...presumably because it was in the spotlight due to the miniseries. in any case, i mentioned that i was going to this lecture she got visibly upset and told me (a 12 year old jewish kid), "if the jews had just listened to jesus, they could have avoided the whole thing".

do i think this was ok? not at all! ...but this (and ann coulter's view that jews need to be perfected) is not uncommon...the evangelical christians who are always supporting israel are _not_ doing so because they think jews deserve a homeland or because they think israel is a key us ally...it's because having jews in israel is a necessary componant of their prophesy of the end times. if people don't know this, then i think this ann coulter thing actually does a lot of good...it's important to understand (or at least be aware of) views that one doesn't agree with, otherwise no communication can happen.

just like everyone, i think _my_ views are reasonable...but when everyone from the dali lama to the kkk has this same self centered perspective, one either has to decide that everyone else is "wrong", or one has to accept that there is a huge range of opinions in the world, and that short of a dictator that believes exactly as i do, it's impossible to make the entire world agree on right and wrong (let alone religion/spirtuality). i'm not saying that one shouldn't try to promote what they think is right...i think that's the responsibility of everyone, but if we can't accept that others are not going to agree with us, if we expect that people are not going to say things that anger us, we are doomed to a "tower of babbel" where one can only communicate with the small group of people they agree with on all major issues.

this view that "jews need perfecting" is no differant from bin laden calling for all americans to convert to islam...and certainly, it leads to hateful behavior, and even murder. ...but this _is_ part of the fabric of our nation and world....we can work against it, but to pretend that it doesn't exist (or to simply be ignorant of it), that it isn't part of what many christains believe doesn't help anthing.

certainly, many people agree with her, many people buy her book because they believe as she does...many people take her seriously without a doubt. certainly there are republicans amongst them...but what she said an interpretation of christian theology, not conservative political thought. she and fred phelps share these views despite the fact they are on opposite sides of the aisle, because they beleive similar interpretations of christian theology.

if this topic was a condemnation of ann coulter, i would be right on board...fire away, i've got lots of ammo for her. if it was a condemnation or criticism of this particular brand of christian thought, i would be right on board. ...but to paint this as a symptom of being "republican" simply doesn't fit.
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: