electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Leopard - Release 26th October
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is the apple 1900.

The firmware update I am pretty sure was for the main fans not for the 1900 fan but of course I coulkd be wrong!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
It is the apple 1900.

The firmware update I am pretty sure was for the main fans not for the 1900 fan but of course I coulkd be wrong!

I think the latest 1900 firmware was for the actual card. It came out just a few days ago. You must install the card in order to have the firmware kick in I guess. I dunno if it goes for the fans or something else though. It could simply be imaging issues.

Too bad the 1900 is so noisy. Sad Perhaps I should research the alternative fan/cooling systems some more. From what I´ve seen the 1900 performs much better with Aperture and other graphics apps.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
It is the apple 1900.

I think the latest 1900 firmware was for the actual card. It came out just a few days ago. You must install the card in order to have the firmware kick in I guess. I dunno if it goes for the fans or something else though. It could simply be imaging issues.

Too bad the 1900 is so noisy. Sad Perhaps I should research the alternative fan/cooling systems some more. From what I´ve seen the 1900 performs much better with Aperture and other graphics apps.

Ok, I didn't know that.

I cannot see it making it much quiter unless it turns it off completeley!

I have had a look back in time and the fan people use is the "Arctic Cooling Accelero X2", the problem i see with this is that it vents the hot air down onto the motherboard rather than out the back of the machine, I must admit I didnt like this idea one bit.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey! ATI 1900 - complete silence!

http://www.architosh.com/features/2007/reviews/aticard/aticard_4.html Very Happy

But this one takes up another slot because of the size of the damn thing. Sad

Still, silence is a good thing.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You also have to use the X8 slot as well rather than the X16, in the review they say that this made no difference to performance but I would say for some things it would.

There is another review at toms hardware, they rather like it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermalrights-the-hr-03-is-a-vga-cooler-gorilla-uk,review-1895.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another good reason to get Leopard is that the Bootcamp Beta is going to stop working altogether soon Shocked

Quote:
Apple issued a warning on its support site for users of Boot Camp Beta, which is to expire when version 10.5 of Mac OSX, dubbed Leopard, becomes available in late October. Users of Boot Camp Beta 2 are already noticing that their application is shutting down, since the license to use it has expired on the last day of September. To be able to use Boot Camp Beta in the near future, they'll need to upgrade to version 1.4, which gives them just a little more time to play, until Leopard plunges its teeth into Mac hard drives all over the world later this month. 'As indicated in the license agreement for Boot Camp Beta, the Boot Camp Beta program expires when Mac OS 10.5 Leopard becomes available publicly in October, 2007,' said Apple on its official site. Mac fans who can't live without Windows applications running on their desktop will need to upgrade their Mac OSX to the latest version to be able to use Boot Camp after the release of Leopard. [1] The license to use the beta software is set to expire when Mac OS X 10.5, or Leopard, ships some time in October. Boot Camp beta 1.2 expired on September 30, so users that didn't upgrade to version 1.4 are already past their license expiration date. The company hasn't stated whether or not the version 1.4 beta will stop working once Leopard ships, or if users will simply be outside of the license agreement if they continue to use Boot Camp if they don't upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5.[2]

more about this all over the net. (Of course if you don't run windose or are happy with virtulisation softwrae such as Fusion there is no need to panic).

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How does this work - there is just the $129 version to buy for a single computer, right? You can't buy a cheaper upgrade version for your existing OS X?

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
How does this work - there is just the $129 version to buy for a single computer, right? You can't buy a cheaper upgrade version for your existing OS X?

/Stefan

If you look at it one way it is just an upgrade and the price is independent of the previous os version.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The education version will be cheaper. I've just had an email suggesting that I purchase from Apple Education for a price reduction.

I will have to get Leopard if I'm to keep using Bootcamp. Though I have doubts that Apple will keep Bootcamp away from Tiger users. I reckon it will eventually come available- if the hackers don't get there first. (A bit like what Adobe are doing with Photoshop Elements 6- delaying that for Mac users until next year. As if Adobe don't have enough money already?? Rolling Eyes )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Another good reason to get Leopard is that the Bootcamp Beta is going to stop working altogether soon Shocked

Quote:
Apple issued a warning on its support site for users of Boot Camp Beta, which is to expire when version 10.5 of Mac OSX, dubbed Leopard, becomes available in late October. Users of Boot Camp Beta 2 are already noticing that their application is shutting down, since the license to use it has expired on the last day of September. To be able to use Boot Camp Beta in the near future, they'll need to upgrade to version 1.4, which gives them just a little more time to play, until Leopard plunges its teeth into Mac hard drives all over the world later this month. 'As indicated in the license agreement for Boot Camp Beta, the Boot Camp Beta program expires when Mac OS 10.5 Leopard becomes available publicly in October, 2007,' said Apple on its official site. Mac fans who can't live without Windows applications running on their desktop will need to upgrade their Mac OSX to the latest version to be able to use Boot Camp after the release of Leopard. [1] The license to use the beta software is set to expire when Mac OS X 10.5, or Leopard, ships some time in October. Boot Camp beta 1.2 expired on September 30, so users that didn't upgrade to version 1.4 are already past their license expiration date. The company hasn't stated whether or not the version 1.4 beta will stop working once Leopard ships, or if users will simply be outside of the license agreement if they continue to use Boot Camp if they don't upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5.[2]

more about this all over the net. (Of course if you don't run windose or are happy with virtulisation softwrae such as Fusion there is no need to panic).

I think you will still be able to boot into your existing windows setup after the expiry date after all it is just the efi booting a disk, this is parrt of the firmware not part of bootcamp.

bootcamp is really just a way of partitioning disks and creating driver cds, these functions may stop working.

I installed VISTA 64 on my MacPro without useing bootcamp at all, I just removed my OSX hard disks and slapped in a new hard disk, booted from the Vista installation CD and installed it, worked perfectly.

Only for Laptops or other machines with one hard disk you need thge bottcamp partitioner.

Cheers

Andy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I installed VISTA 64 on my MacPro without useing bootcamp at all, I just removed my OSX hard disks and slapped in a new hard disk, booted from the Vista installation CD and installed it, worked perfectly.

Shocked
Laughing

My money is now on Apple releasing OSX for PC- especially if the iPhone takes off over here. But I think releasing iPhone in the USA first was a mistake. I think more people will buy the Touch iPod instead- especially as it has wi-fi.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

Shocked
Laughing

My money is now on Apple releasing OSX for PC- especially if the iPhone takes off over here. But I think releasing iPhone in the USA first was a mistake. I think more people will buy the Touch iPod instead- especially as it has wi-fi.

Thats what I did, I was going to get an iPhone but only being able to use it on one network was a killer for me.
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: