electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Golden Squares - Krellian Sonata
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Golden Squares - Krellian Sonata Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a little piece I've done in the spirit of the Krellian musicians (from the movie Forbidden Planet. This is pretty much a classical music composition done in the electronic medium.

The title is Golden Squares

It's a trio, written in three parts. Two square wave modulated voices, and one simple melodic voice.

It's tempo is adagio to largo.

It's in modified classical sonata allegro form.

The sounds are made with the Nord Modular G2. Although I made this with a multi-track recording system, it could be peformend live. I hope to get Xeroid Entity to do this one.

The piece was inspired by many of the discussions here on the electro-music.com forum. The patches are inspired by member's contributions to the G2 patch archive. I think It is very expressive, but it's not written with the intent to express anything specific. It's a lot like a day dream.

I think it needs an image. Maybe someone with come art or graphics chops can come up with something.

EDIT (Jan 15 2008): Thanks to some feedback from Robin Miller (rmiller) I've done a remastering to add more spacialization and to remove some distortion. I'm leaving the old version up for comparison.

GoldenSquares.mp3
 Description:
Golden Squares 7:44

Copyright 2004 by Howard Moscovitz

Download
 Filename:  GoldenSquares.mp3
 Filesize:  10.64 MB
 Downloaded:  5492 Time(s)

golden-squares.mp3
 Description:
Golden Squares 7:44

Copyright 2004, 2008 by Howard Moscovitz

Improved version (better spacialization and less distortion)

Download
 Filename:  golden-squares.mp3
 Filesize:  10.8 MB
 Downloaded:  3258 Time(s)

Last edited by mosc on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Squares - Krellian Sonata Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Golden Squares

excellent Howard Exclamation Very Happy
I like it. Not only I am listening to it but I will keep it for my private collection of nice music Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Krellian. I love it. THat interlude at approx. 2:43 works great in the piece.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice piece of music!

In the moment I install some stuff on my computer and its stress
your music helps to keep cool!

thanks Exclamation
General Elektrick
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it very much.
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Krellian Sonata Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mosc

Yeah, I've had a good listen to this one on my walkman today. It is a tremendous effort in replicating the sounds and feel of the Forbidden Planet. Listening to it, I really want to watch the film again!

Yeah, it really is picture perfect in terms of getting those sounds. It's as if you've used the same instruments and setups exactly as the dude who programmed the sounds for the movie itself. For that sir, I congratulate you!

I'm a little surprised by your definition of it as being a piece in a classical style. I would have expected a definite chord progression, parts harmonising etc. To my mind the parts do little in terms of defining a specific melody and they act independently of each other - i.e. not according to some kind of harmony. I am by no means saying this is not a good thing, merely that to my mind it's more a piece of ambient music (not unlike Tangerine Dream, who I really like), and less a piece of classical music in sonata form.

Artisistically, I cannot fault this. You aimed to create Krellian music and succeeded spectacularly, the execution of this ambition being totally spot on. Entertainment wise, well... it would be cool to have on whilst reading some sci-fi, or cool to play to mates going "Listen! Listen! It's the Forbidden Planet!". But I don't think I would have it on while I was doing the ironing. But I'm sure that's not what you intended.....

Cheers

Dovder
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feeback, Dov.

It's in classical style because the form has three connected movements, and if you break down the movements, they are actually quite classical in their construction. True, it's not based on any conventional scales or harmonic structure, but structurally I think it's classical, at least I'm concerned about those things when I'm making music.

Forbidden Planet is going to be aired at 8PM EDT on Turner Classic Movies on Friday, July 30.
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Krell Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mosc

You're welcome to the feedback. I hope it was useful in some way! I'm no expert on musical theory, so I guess there was something in the structure or arrangement of the music that was typically classical but that was too subtle for me to pick up on.

I'm interested though because I'm trying to work on a tune at the moment that is modelled on (at least in spirit) Faure's Sicilienne. As I said, I have no idea about the subtleties of formal classical structures, so I'm just doing something that sounds a bit like it to me. It has intertwining melodies which form a repeating chord sequence, which to me is the essence of much classical music. Unfortunately, although to my ear all the melodies sound good, they don't fit into each other all that well - it's almost like they compete. You'll know what I mean when I finish it in about 2008.

Anyway, sorry, diversion there.

Laters

Dovder
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My browser timed out the last time I tried to make a comment in this thread.
I like this piece.

The classical connection here isn´t perhaps that obvious, but the connection to "contemporary art music" is. In many ways i thiunk it can be productive to kinda sum together the lot of traditional classical music theory with all the modern inventions .. like from the 1880s and forward. In such a context, this piece really fits in.

I found this one over at beat amateur´s place.. describing one of his own sonic ventures:

Quote:
Classical music can be considered a form of art music in that it pushes the limits of what we understand about music theory, performance, and appreciation. This track was written with the explicit intent of using a less predictable harmonic structure since popular music (including electronic music) often uses harmonic structures that repeat regularly and frequently. The harmonic structure of this track, while not advancing our understanding of music theory, is a little less straightforward than a typical electronic music track.

Cool!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice ! effective

reminds me of tom dissevelt or maybe martin subotnik

paul e.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opps..i meant morton subotnik
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:
\
reminds me of tom dissevelt or maybe martin subotnik

Thanks, Dissevelt and Subotnic - I'm fans of both. I'm honored...
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I've enjoyed repeated listening of this.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Thanks, I've enjoyed repeated listening of this.

Thank you... I'm glad you like it.
bachus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Squares - Krellian Sonata Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I think it needs an image. Maybe someone with come art or graphics chops can come up with something.

I can't claim such chops but I can doodle in CorelDraw. Here, humbly offered, is the image I came up with. Like much of what I do, it is partly conceptual and partly emotional.

GoldenSquares.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.38 KB
 Viewed:  68595 Time(s)

GoldenSquares.jpg

Last edited by bachus on Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. Thank you. I'm honored that my music would inspire you to such a doodle... Cool
bachus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very glad you like it Howard. And I am honored to have an image associated with your music. I should tell you that I felt it was pushing "visually too busy" to represent your work even before I added the text in the last step of its construction. To compensate I gave the geometric objects transparency which I think worked well to that end. But I went overboard by ten or fifteen percent. I also notice that the text, "Music by Howard Moscovitz," is off center and needs repositioning. So, in a couple of days, I'll repost a tweaked version.

BTW I feel that it needs a large dark "mat" if it is to be viewed while listening to Golden Squares."

bachus

paul e.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice, guys !
W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: great Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent song, especially after 3:40 reminds of the movie (when there in the old alien constructions) I just love scifi !!!!!! Very Happy

Thanx
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks...

After I saw that movie way back when I was a kid, something in my mind snapped. I wanted to be a Krellian musician. Other stuff was good, but to me Krellian music was where it was at. It was so real.

Well, I wanted to be a Beatle too at one point. I guess my first impulse was the most realistic, yeah yeah yeah yeah...
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
.. I wanted to be a Krellian musician..I wanted to be a Beatle too...

I wanted to be Bill Evans (except for the fact that he was addicted to drugs)
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
ManuMontevideo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc's GOD well-done Hail the Master Hail the Master
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ManuMontevideo wrote:
mosc's GOD well-done Hail the Master Hail the Master

Well, thanks, I guess... yikes... Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: