electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
OS X 10.5 - first impressions
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: OS X 10.5 - first impressions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It´s good. So far I´m running this on only a Macbook, but I´ll soon slip it into a Macpro with 16 gigs of RAM.

Everything seems to run slightly faster and there have been no surprises yet.

Coverflow for file navigation actually works and it is really fast as well. Clearly Coverflow is not the obvious default navigation setting, but it´s great for moving through PDFs, images and for those really messy folders you have been considering to sort out some day soon.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am waiting for word that my MOTU drivers and MAX/MSP at least are supported. Those traditionally don't survive major version changes without some kind of updates.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
I am waiting for word that my MOTU drivers and MAX/MSP at least are supported. Those traditionally don't survive major version changes without some kind of updates.

That´s a wise decision! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new interface is in fact less glossy than you might have expected. Using grey a lot is quite OK. So far the only less exciting thing in 10.5 is that Finder level windows might be easily confused with application windows. In fact, there is not really a problem here but I´ve learned a bit about how novices act and react. I can see that some will have to use a bit of their IQ when navigating apps and Finder windows. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rosetta seems to have been seriously improved.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you have to back up everything before you upgraded? I'm only asking because I don't have either a spare drive or the time at present to do a lot of dvd-r burning.

Also has anything changed on Expose? Because apparently on the new keyboards, one of the expose keys is missing. I was wondering if Apple may have put something else in or put 3 functions on 2 keys etc.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Did you have to back up everything before you upgraded? I'm only asking because I don't have either a spare drive or the time at present to do a lot of dvd-r burning.

Also has anything changed on Expose? Because apparently on the new keyboards, one of the expose keys is missing. I was wondering if Apple may have put something else in or put 3 functions on 2 keys etc.

you're thinking about those damn mini keyboards. I don't like em. I got to see one at some important person's house... his wife bought one. No she doesn't like it either.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom: Backup... yes.. you should.. but I think the installer is pretty solid and it won´t do anything stupid.

What you should do anyways is to ensure that the drive file structure is OK, that you have removed incompatible shit from the frameworks folders, you should also kill system control panels that aren´t 10.5 compatibe and take a hard look at all those system enhancement apps. If you have a pretty clean system then you should be fine. I do always recommend a backup or a full mirrored copy on a second drive.

The new sleek alu keyboard..? I´ve got one of those as well. It´s OK but also a bit depresseing so I´ve secured a stack of the old ones. The new one is OK for some embeddeding ideas I have but it is a bit too postmodern to me for general use.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I don't get them either- but I do admire Apple for trying something a little different. However more and more I can't stop thinking that Macs are becoming more or a piece of furniture rather than a serious tool used by technicians.

I'm going to wait until my Leopard discs arrive before I pass judgement entirely.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

The OS will autosense your keyboard. The mapping is a bit different on the sleek alu job.
Expose is now extended with the Spaces concept which works great. I can see that Spaces could be improved some but it is cool as it is. It kinda needs to be configured well in order to truly be of useful, but you´ll figure that out yourself.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I do always recommend a backup or a full mirrored copy on a second drive.

That is my normal route of call- just mirror it to another drive- but sometimes I end up in a situation where I can't delete anything through fear of something going wrong down the line Laughing So I just end up with loads of crap on another drive, that sits there for weeks! Laughing

The only Mac I ever had trouble with was an old Wallstreet G3 powerbook, which HD went twice- but then again, I never knew how it was treated before I bought it. (this is my first Mac that came from new).

I also wonder about the state of the drive now that Windows XP resides on 40gig of it. XP always makes the fans turn like crazy and all this HD noise spues from the HD! Shocked Rolling Eyes

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
t Macs are becoming more or a piece of furniture rather than a serious tool used by technicians.

You´ll find that 10.5 is more serious than ever.

Forget the hype. If you expect Vista gloss and translucency you´ll be disappointed. The general feel of 10.5 is grey and drab and businesslike. There are no Redmond buttprobing assistants that will insist on you signing away your kidneys in order to be allowed to print or connect to a fileserver.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Expose is now extended with the Spaces concept which works great.
yes I knew that would happen. (another great idea ripped from Linux Embarassed )

I need to sell some modular synth stuff before I can get Logic 8. This could be one of the toughest things I could do Shocked But I dunno- I haven't used my modular stuff for absolutely ages. Time doesn't exist anymore Crying or Very sad

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
state of the drive now that Windows XP resides on 40gig of it. XP always makes the fans turn like crazy and all this HD noise spues from the HD! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Bootcamp?

I´m yet to update a machine with a bootcamp partition on it already.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

You´ll find that 10.5 is more serious than ever.

Yes- the extra wait. Apple really mean business this time.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Yes- the extra wait. Apple really mean business this time.

Some say the extra wait was to get extra exposure for the iphone, but that's just a mean thing to say of course Very Happy

Anyway a good OSX will benefit everyone, including windows and linux users, in the end, so I'm glad to see some positive experiences.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought the delay was so that there could be better intergration with running Vista on Bootcamp- but my real guess is that Apple wanted to look at Vista so they could tweak anything in OS X which was vaguely Microsoft like and make it function better- which I think, according to Stein, they have.

Like I said, I'll have to wait until next week to see.

right. bedtime!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

right. bedtime!

bollocks- the clocks just went back! Shocked

It's now 1am and not 2am Shocked Laughing

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I thought the delay was so that there could be better intergration with running Vista on Bootcamp- but my real guess is that Apple wanted to look at Vista so they could tweak anything in OS X which was vaguely Microsoft like and make it function better- which I think, according to Stein, they have.

Well, OS X has a different architecture anyways so clearly OS X will never be Vista. As for feel, Vista seems like a mix of 10.2 and 10.4 with some extra blissy gloss. Vista kinda builds on the XP feel of driving a car from the trunk, taking this into the extreme. 10.5 is even more hands on than previous OS X versions. I´m still exploring 10.5. I guess I will spend weeks on this until I decide on migrating all the machines at work to 10.5 and how to do it. I might start out with some servers first.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will eventually try 10.5 on some G5s and G4s. My only conclusion so far is that it runs really well on macintels.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new MacBook is appearing next week and will have Leopard installed.

I have already found out my Waves and NI plugins will not work, does anyone know if new macs are coming with a tiger install dvd as well?

Cheers

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bob, probably no 10.4.x .. just 10.5, but PM me when you get the MB. I might have some original Apple discs I can send you. One problem is of course that Apple never offered a late 10.4.x universal installer. All the bundled CDs are restricted specific models. One way to get it running if the model number/serial and more refuses to use the DVD set from another recent MB is to mirror a clean installation to firewire drive and then boot from this one and mirror it into your MB. You can make a .dmg of this installation as well.

You see, already installed and updated installations on HD will boot various macintels even though the bundled system DVD won´t.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Bob, probably no 10.4.x .. just 10.5, but PM me when you get the MB. I might have some original Apple discs I can send you. One problem is of course that Apple never offered a late 10.4.x universal installer. All the bundled CDs are restricted specific models. One way to get it running if the model number/serial and more refuses to use the DVD set from another recent MB is to mirror a clean installation to firewire drive and then boot from this one and mirror it into your MB. You can make a .dmg of this installation as well.

You see, already installed and updated installations on HD will boot various macintels even though the bundled system DVD won´t.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the info and offer of the disk it is very kind of you.

I have a firewire disk setup already with a 10.4.10 installation from my MacPro, can I do your trick with this disk?

Cheers

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggested somewhere above that killing incompatible stuff in the frameworks folders is smart. Some of the unsanity apps will bluescreen your 10.5 mac, so getting rid of Shapeshifter and Application Enhancer is a must. -before installing 10.5!!!!!!

/Library/Frameworks/Application Enhancer.framework

If this one is in here it must go, and you know that you´ll have too look for more unsanity stuff on your disk as well.

And.. some shit will bundle Application Enhancer without telling you. Some of the Logitech mouse/keyboard drivers will do this.
Hmm.. when I think of it.. they have one main installer for OS X for all mouse/kbds now.. so .. if you have the Logitech Control Center in your System Prefs panel you will have Application Enhancer.framework on your disk for sure.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
My only conclusion so far is that it runs really well on macintels.

I could never go back to PPC again, after using Intel's chips. Intel Core Duo's are just so lovely and fast- and I don't blame Apple either. If I did get an older machine, I'd just stick 9 on it/ them.

Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: