electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
2X versus G2
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
wyleu

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: 2X versus G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure it's been round the houses but anyone waiting for the G2X over the G2?

Oh Hi by the way.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, and welcome to electro-music.com.

I know of at least one person who is holding out for the G2X.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wyleu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does the extra DSP properly allow for the complexity of playing a 5 octave keyboard implies?
Is anyone using a G2 with a five octave master keyboard in a DX7 sort of manner? ( by this I mean DX7 in lounge musician mode complete with finishing 'Just the way you are' thank you's and 'I'm here all week') As I would feel those sorts of song ends tend to show note stealing at its worst.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2X and the G2 are exactly the same from a DSP perspective (when the G2 has the expander). How much polyphony you get depends on the complexity of the voices. You can get some nice electric piano sounds that give you more than 20 voices. That's pretty good unless you hold the pedal a lot. Most patches probably would provide less.

I'm not sure the G2 is the ideal lounge lizard synthesizer, but I'm sure you could get by with it. There are, of course, the DX7 FM modules which we are looking forward to in the next release of the software, so the synth should be pretty versitile with that sound pallette available.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wyleu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have the DSP expansion fitted in your G2 mosc?
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A G2 with expansion playing one patch at a time has minimum polyphony of 8 voices. With most EP/organ patches the dsp usage is around 30-40%, meaning you'll easily get upwards of 16 voices with an expanded G2 or G2X. I use my Kawai K5000s keyboard (5 octaves) with an unexpanded G2, and although I'm not a very good keyboardist, I haven't had any polyphony troubles with my G2. DSP heavy patches usually sound BIG, so I tend not to need the polyphony for these anyway.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wyleu wrote:
Do you have the DSP expansion fitted in your G2 mosc?

Yes, I have in installed in my G2.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afrokid wrote:
DSP heavy patches usually sound BIG, so I tend not to need the polyphony for these anyway.

Good point. I like simple patches the best, it seems.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: