electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
The Future of Electronic Music II
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: the future of music is here!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
spaceyoface wrote:

XYBRIUM IS THE FUTURE OF MUSIC!

I love modest people Rolling Eyes

Well, we can only be happy if people have such optimism about their future, however the attitude seems quite typical for today....

Paradoxically "XYBRIUM" sounds to me like late 90's/early 2000's and musically I'd call it nicely non-pretentious. You can't win them all, I suppose.

We can only hope spaceyoface will share with us *why* he feels this music is the future.

Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my radio station has someone who calls occaissionaly and proclaims that we're playing music from the future. Its a little creepy. I wonder if Xybrium is on our playlist.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Low Note wrote:
Its a little creepy.

Could be a personality disorder, but it could also be a compliment Laughing

Where is the radio station BTW, it seems on topic here Very Happy

rbedgar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Future of Electronic Music II
Subject description: Damn...I keep seeing my reflection in the telescope...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a couple of observations and notes on this conversation...worth what ya paid for em...

- My perception of your writing is that you're casting a net, but not developing an argument. But sometimes you use phrases that seem to belong to the discourse of argument. For instance, when you write

"We cathect to emotional objects outside of our immediate experience more than the 'primitives', in other words."

I don't know how "emotional objects outside of our immediate experience" is derived from the previous text. I don't know what an emotional object outside of our immediate experience would be. I don't know how such an object could be described as emotional.

Other words that could use unpacking would include "primitive" and "restlessness". Now, of course I know how these words are described in the dictionary. What I don't understand is the meaning they hold in your text.

- What I like in your writing is your attempt to capture a great deal in your net. I think that you've caught some good quotes, but I don't think that the relations among them have been established well enough to support many of your propositions.

- Another theme that I believe you pick up on is language vs music. Of course, this is a huge topic, and dropping it in a quick reference in a blog is obviously not an attempt to engage it in depth. But it might be relevant to wonder, at this point, if there are creatures without language that have music. Well, birds have bird calls. But the relations between bird calls and language probably shouldn't be taken for granted, nor should their relation to music. Without having these issues clarified from the perspective of your article, I don't know how to understand several of your statements that suppose some relationship between something as a "root" and something that is not a root, but has some type of relationship to a root. For instance, the phrase "music has biological roots".

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I can't see a way to agree or disagree with what you say, because I can't find an argument articulated in your text. As such, for me your writing is closer to music than philosophy. Very Happy

The present day composer refuses to sleep...
rbedgar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: one more comment... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to follow up my comments by noting that I did not mean to be impolite. On rereading I think they could be read as such. My statement likening David's writing to music was what I felt, but I think that there's plenty of room for such writing. Apologies to David if I gave a different impression.
-r

The present day composer refuses to sleep...
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: