electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
experimental noise/grind/glitch
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tommytomthms5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject:  experimental noise/grind/glitch
Subject description: by warping cassette tapes?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i want to make noises and strange effects by slightly warping a cassette tape i have tried many techniques and searched google but nothing worked and after each the tape was ether A. broken or B. playing like new.....

my question is how would one quickly and easily warp a cassette tape?
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you trying to physically WARP the plastic tape? The case? or the magnetic field information encoded on it?
tommytomthms5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what works better? Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if the tape breaks that's not too bad, you can tape it together again and it will certainly sound warped then. You can put in pieces back side front, or upside down. It might not play too well, but that would be a warp as well Very Happy

edit: did you try magnets on recorded material?

did you try to cook the tape? micro wave? washing machine?

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Physical warping of the tape won't provide much sonic distortion unless you are able to find the fine line of temperature where the tape strata stretches enough to distort the information stored on it. Very fine line...most unlikely. Audio distortions of tape recorded data are usually produced with record / playback speed shifts, odd record / playback head placements, or esoteric signal level changes / biases during recording.

Early sound effects for music were discovered by using many of these methods. Flanging, I believe, was discovered when brushing the hand against one of the reels of a reel to reel recorder to cause subtle speed changes during playback.

There are numerous people on this board with vast amounts of knowledge on these subjects. My knowledge only scratches the surface.
tommytomthms5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay so i have an old hand held walkman should i be messing with that and not the tape???
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would think that would get you more mileage. Try finding the playback motor speed control ciruit. Add a pot to vary the motor speed and see what that does for you.
tommytomthms5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok ill try im not very knoageable on that sorta stuff
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Physical warping of the tape won't provide much sonic distortion unless you are able to find the fine line of temperature where the tape strata stretches enough to distort the information stored on it.

I can assure you that the cassette player I had in my first car perfectly knew how to find those sweet spots Laughing

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, Yeah I know. Just try to reproduce the effect yourself though.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was a kid, I discovered that recording sounds on cassette with low batteries produced some interesting results.
Louder parts of sounds caused the AGC to kick in, which seemed to divert power from the motor and slow down the tape that the signal was being recorded on. I don't think I've ever heard a similar effect.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. Then a pot on the battery lead to act as a variable power starve might have good results as well.

Excellent suggestion g2ian!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, old cassette players, the ones with mechanical switching, sometimes produce nice results with buttons pressed simultaneously or partly.
tommytomthms5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the replies guys ill look into it
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

did you try to cook the tape? micro wave? washing machine?

as the board's self-appointed health and safety advisor i feel the need to add a warning to this... always take care when microwaving metallic objects and avoid if at all possible! ;-P

however, if you feel compelled to do this, it's worth sticking a mic on the microwave.

Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

um... wouldn't it not turn on with a cable sticking out the door? It seems like it would be pretty dangerous to break the safety mechanism on that - especially if you planned on using the microwave again!

Would you be able to get a faithful recording if you plugged the mic into a wireless system or would the nuking mess with the wireless device?
kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I might wanna try working with multiple tape players & recorders..
and I might wanna try to mangle with the recorders.. for example by messing around with record or stop.

that'd make some warps out of any original materials easily..
it's quite basic..
but i guess we can do a lot with this basic idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pots_and_robots

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an old tape recorder that records on small tapes. I'm not sure of the brand, model, type of recorder, or type of tapes, but I could definitely look into that and find out. I use that tape recorder to record samples, and if you want to physically mess with the tape recorder I would suggest messing with the built in microphone. That creates a variety of sound. However, since I haven't actually opened my tape recorder up and messed around with it, my knowledge on more physical alterations is limited. I usually manipulate what I'm recording instead of manipulating the actual tape player.
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why donĀ“t you find a second hand reel to reel tape recorder? The tape are easier to cut and treat, and I guess there still is some tools like leader and cutting board available.
I got two old Studer/Revox machines in the studio, and it is possible to get them for small money now days. (But the prices of new 1/4 tape is high).
Per
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: