electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
VST Instruments
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: VST Instruments Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone use VST instruments?

I have some of these in Cubase LE, which I am still learning to use.

I downloaded a bunch of free VST plugins because I wanted a bank of crazy effects to use when I start trying to create ambient tracks. I opened something called GalactiX14 but I couldn't figure out how to work it. The interface looks like a synth with piano keys. So I'm wondering if it is a MIDI instrument.

I definitely know that Cubase contains VST effects like chorus, delay etc and they work on my audio tracks.

So...Is it that VST effects can be used on an audio track.... but the virtual INSTRUMENTS are only for MIDI ?

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Virtual instruments take control from midi, but output audio on an audio track/channel (pair, usually).

VST effects usually take audio in, mung it around and poot it back out on either another audio track, or a bus, usually with a wet/dry mix. The difference is usually the lack of real time control (or MIDI especially).

There are a lot of weird VSTs. I don't like a lot of them for ambient music. Hope your computer has a lot of CPU to devote! Wink

Home,My Studio,and another view
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Laura, get yourself over to KVR audio (it's a website). They have many freeware plugins there Very Happy

Be warned though, plugins are a little too easy to use and some sometimes you will get a sound that many others also use.

I'd recommend Sonic Birth, but that's Mac only (you can build your own plugs, and it's freeware), but I'm sure there are plenty of alternaives for Windows.

hope that helps.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hey Laura, get yourself over to KVR audio (it's a website). They have many freeware plugins there Very Happy

Be warned though, plugins are a little too easy to use and some sometimes you will get a sound that many others also use.

I'd recommend Sonic Birth, but that's Mac only (you can build your own plugs, and it's freeware), but I'm sure there are plenty of alternaives for Windows.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the link. I absolutely don't believe it!! Someone won a prize for creating a plugin for

"wind, thunder, rain, oscine tract, synsect"

"A collection of VSTi for emulating common natural sounds - wind, rain, thunder, songbirds and insects."

This blows me away!!! A few years ago I made a CD called "Insect Summer of Love" ( http://www.geocities.com/shadow42.geo/insect-summer.html ).

I made realtime recordings of just about everything that guy did. Hundreds of cricket tracks!

He won $2200. Sure wish I'd known about this contest...

(actually I think he knew more programming than I did. I wouldn't have known how to MIDI-ize my samples. But I still have hundreds of Nature .wavs including the most beautiful wood-thrush songs and tree frogs. Wonder if any of these outfits would like to use them.)

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi laura,

the xoxos instruments do not use samples. they are based on a 'physical model' or a mathematical description of something which produces sounds similar to insects, rain and thunder.

i sure would like some of your samples. i can trade you some funny lab noises... Very Happy

best regards

eike
---
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
A few years ago I made a CD called "Insect Summer of Love" ( http://www.geocities.com/shadow42.geo/insect-summer.html ).

I really like those samples. Very Happy

/Stefan

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noodulator wrote:
hi laura,

the xoxos instruments do not use samples. they are based on a 'physical model' or a mathematical description of something which produces sounds similar to insects, rain and thunder.

i sure would like some of your samples. i can trade you some funny lab noises... Very Happy

best regards

eike
---

Thanks to you & the next guy and anyone who likes my Nature sound samples of insects, frogs, birds etc.

What is the best way for me to share samples? They aren't "loops", but actual soundclips that could be up to 1/2 min long. Is there a page in this forum where I could upload maybe 10 of them for anyone who wants them? That would be easier than emailing them to someone.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laura, I would pay you money for a CD with those samples on it. Just in whatever form you sampled them, as data files, or as audio. Those are worth it.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Is there a page in this forum where I could upload maybe 10 of them for anyone who wants them? That would be easier than emailing them to someone.

you can post them right here, as sound files, if you want. Look at the attach files stuff at the bottom.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Quote:

Is there a page in this forum where I could upload maybe 10 of them for anyone who wants them? That would be easier than emailing them to someone.

you can post them right here, as sound files, if you want. Look at the attach files stuff at the bottom.

I think they're too big. Shocked Most of them are like 50 MB. They are uncompressed .wavs. Oh, also don't they have to be uploaded to a server on the web somewhere before they can be accessed? These are all on my hard drive.

3,20.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3,20.wav
 Filesize:  8.46 MB
 Downloaded:  984 Time(s)

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:
Quote:

I think they're too big. Shocked Most of them are like 50 MB. They are uncompressed .wavs. Oh, also don't they have to be uploaded to a server on the web somewhere before they can be accessed? These are all on my hard drive.

OK, this one worked for me, but I have it on my hard drive. Let me know if it works for anyone else.

ALSO, if I convert them to mp3s and upload them, will you all be able to download them & use them in your tracks? let me know.

I'm sorry, but I am actually very dumb when it comes to Tech. I started out as one of these technophobe hippies till I realized that technology helped in my creative endeavors.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
OK, this one worked for me, but I have it on my hard drive. Let me know if it works for anyone else.

Yes it works OK this way, but 50 MB is too big indeed.

The practical limit for a single file about 10 .. 12 MB and your total quotum is 20 MB (but that can be changed). Could you convert the files to mp3 or Ogg or Wma, or would that not do justice to the sound quality?

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

how about selling your samples/sounds on a cd via the electromusic.com store?

best regards

eike
---
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
laura woodswalker wrote:

Yes it works OK this way, but 50 MB is too big indeed.

The practical limit for a single file about 10 .. 12 MB and your total quotum is 20 MB (but that can be changed). Could you convert the files to mp3 or Ogg or Wma, or would that not do justice to the sound quality?

I could convert them to mp3s. Would they still be useable as samples? I thought once you change them to mp3s, you can't edit them.

What is a quotum? Is there a space for each member's soundfiles and is there a total limit?

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noodulator wrote:
hi,

how about selling your samples/sounds on a cd via the electromusic.com store?

best regards

eike
---

Hmmm.... I didn't think my stuff was really "electro". Smile
I mean, what's 'electric' about walking in the woods & recording insects?

But I guess if people want it...!

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:

Hmmm.... I didn't think my stuff was really "electro". Smile
I mean, what's 'electric' about walking in the woods & recording insects?

But I guess if people want it...!

Wanna find out what I can do to a sample? Very Happy

Nature samples, well captured without wind noise and airplanes and cars and farting motorbikes etc, is useful for a lot of things. Even the other stuff can be useful. I'd wager there would be quite a bit of interest.

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

Wanna find out what I can do to a sample? Very Happy

Nature samples, well captured without wind noise and airplanes and cars and farting motorbikes etc, is useful for a lot of things. Even the other stuff can be useful. I'd wager there would be quite a bit of interest.

Sure, I'd love to hear what you can do with a nature sample! Razz
I've already tried making crickets sound like aliens. Cool

Hahahah.... the annoying car noises are the reason I recorded so many short clips and put them in CoolEdit and layered and faded them. Because everytime I was recording a nice sound, along came a car, airplane or truck!!

I learned all about the EQ function. Since the cricket sounds are high pitched, just edit out everything on a lower frequency (cars, planes, wind). This wouldn't work with recording a band or concert though.

I'll upload a .wav file or two. Anyone is welcome to use it. But I still want to know if it is OK to upload mp3s. You can't open them in Cubase, can you? So how can you use them in a composition?

afternoonbird (2).wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  afternoonbird (2).wav
 Filesize:  3.08 MB
 Downloaded:  851 Time(s)

2kinds (2).wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2kinds (2).wav
 Filesize:  3.79 MB
 Downloaded:  854 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
What is a quotum? Is there a space for each member's soundfiles and is there a total limit?

Indeed, the total limit normally is 20 MB, I'll turn it up for you, as indeed mp3s might be less usable for others to work with.

Edit: turned it up to 100 MB

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, if you like twisted and whacked VSTi's then check jack Dark's stuff out !!! I use them in my tracks and they are ultra cool !!!!

http://www.jackdark.net/novuzeit.html

Bill
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: