electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
HD minidisc opinions
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: HD minidisc opinions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but:

Does anybody have much experience with the new portable HD minidisc recorders? I know Howard has one. I have read that there have been problems with the 900 series by Sony. I have been to minidisc.org.

My current older model is starting to wear out; having been used everyday for 3 years. I love the format and am now researching for a replacement.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the Sony 800 - don't know the exact number without looking.

Here's what I wrote on another topic, http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3313.html , after using my 800..

The good:
The sound quality seems to be excellent.

The machine is very controllable. You can turn of AGC and manually set the recording input level both with mic in and line in.

You can record in CD quality: PCM 16 bit 44.1 KHZ

It runs on one AA battery.

It is very easy to use with the computer software they provide to transfer files to and from the computer. The files are easily converted into standard wav format files with free software.

You can play recordings direct from the minidisc through the USB and through your studio sound system. You can audition tracks before you upload them.

The bad:

The controls on the device are very tiny as is the not backlit LCD display. It's very difficult to cycle through the functions and select recording modes. The human interface for the recorder/player is no intuitive. It's even hard to tell if the disc is running and if you are recording.

The stereo mini plugs for the mic and line inputs are a weak link. I imagine after a lot of use they will wear out and break down.

For about $200, it seems pretty fantastic to me. Laughing

I also got a pair of in-the-ear mics from SoundProfessionals. I've made some test recordings - just walking around talking to people. Playback via headphones is startling! It's disorienting how real it sounds. The spacial imaging is breath taking.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had read that. I'm wondering if you have had any problems with the controls. For ex. I have read that the 900 sometimes won't stop recording or playing. Also if there is any movement when it records to disc the file will get corrupted. I was thinking about getting the 800, the menus and non-backlit display seem no different than my current model. Perhaps I should wait, but I don't know how much longer my player/recorder will last. Up to now it has been a remarkable device. It took a nasty spill 6 months ago, but no damage. It has a pretty sturdy metal case.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've not had any unexpected stop problems, or any problems for that matter.

A small flash light helps make this recorder practical. Laughing

The case is plastic, not metal, but you need to treat these things carefully. Since you can do digital transfers to the PC, you don't need to use the tiny controls all that much.

I use it mostly to record electro-jams and gigs with a direct line feed - it's great for that purpose.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I have 8 different Minidisc players / recorders and believe the medium is fantastic but was not marketed correctly and was too expensive.
Sony should have developed a Mavica camera that used minidisc for storage...
I have an amazing recording I did myself of the Space Shuttle taking off maybe 5 years ago...
I'm sorry the format is dead...
Thanks!

TRON
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tronato wrote:

Well technically so is CD, but we are still using them Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tronato wrote:
Hello!

I have 8 different Minidisc players / recorders and believe the medium is fantastic but was not marketed correctly and was too expensive.
Sony should have developed a Mavica camera that used minidisc for storage...
I have an amazing recording I did myself of the Space Shuttle taking off maybe 5 years ago...
Thanks!

TRON

I agree on the marketing (or lack of it in the US).
Minidiscs are very popular outside the US, particularly in Japan.

I've had 2 portable Sony recorder/players, and had no problems with the either one. I rarely used the second one because I started using an iPod which would hold all of my music, without my having to carry around extra discs.

I've recently sold a small tub of discs (50+) for $50, and I'm still trying to get rid of my current unit & a set of binaural mics.
Once I got an iPod, I never turned back. True, you can't record with an iPod, but I don't want to haul around a bunch of stuff to record.

The technology is pretty good, but it just didn't catch on here.
I am one of 3 people, the other two I've known for the past 10 years are the only people I know using minidiscs, and we live/work in Silicon Valley Wink

Last edited by cappy2112 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tronato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I've used only Minidisc for some 7 or 8 years now... I even have it in the car!

TRON
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used a top of the line Sharp (non-HD) MD recorder several years ago for field recording. I put it in a drawer one day and pulled it out a year later and it didn't work. Now, I use an iRiver H-120 'multi-codec jukebox' with the Rockbox firmware. I can record in stereo 16 bit/44.1 kHz or in a variety of .mp3 bitrates and transfer the recordings via USB or the built-in optical output.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: