electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
ROLANd SH1
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: ROLANd SH1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just posted this on the list, thought I better put here so it can have a permanent home.

Hey, I think I have a SH101, that is if the wife hasn't thrown it out.
Here is a sequencer-less patch, so technically it's a SH1. Like Rob said, only one VCO. I have used the level compare module to provide the simultaneous rectangle output (just like the real thing uses an opamp to compare the sawtooth and PWM input).
The Subs are Flip-flops in the JK or clock divider mode. The output is a pure 50% square and by 'AND'ing each in a gate, you get the 25% 2 Octave down variation, again just like the original.

Some may notice the use of an AD/R env to mimic the VCA 'GATE' signal, this is because it is cheaper DSP than using a KBD module with a real gate. Also can be used to 'soften' the clicks at the start and end of notes if desired.

The only things left to implement I think are the delay vibrato, lfo filter mod and crappy exponential glide, I'll leave that to someone else.

SH1.pch2
 Description:
updated SH1

Download
 Filename:  SH1.pch2
 Filesize:  2.58 KB
 Downloaded:  2713 Time(s)

Last edited by ian-s on Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never played one of these, so I had to look it up...

Looks like it was fun to play because of all the knobs and faders. When one maps an insturment like this to the Nord Modular, you can probably replicate the sound farely closely, but not the performance aspect.

Still, it's interestng to do this sort of thing.'

I think I read that this was the first Roland synthsizer. Is that correct?
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I think I read that this was the first Roland synthesizer. Is that correct?

I think the system 100 (not 100M) predates it, along with quite a few others. The oldest Roland I remember (1971?) was a little unit with all the controls to the left, and switches under the keyboard (similar to Korg700). Cant remember the model.
Funny these things being sort after now, people originally got them because they were less expensive than the good stuff (MOOG/ARP/EMS).
(Jupiter8,System 100/700 and SH7 exceptions to the rule).
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad memory, I have an MC202.

see
http://www.synthmuseum.com/roland/rolmc20201.jpg

All the 1VCO Roland stuff of the time followed a very similar layout etc.
MC202 missing noise, other LFO waves and inverted ADSR for filter.

Anyway

That's about it now, High pass filter, delay vibrato, exp(log) glide, filter modulation, variable filter tracking. Eight truly awful variations.

Knob assignments have been done, noise level in odd place but others OK I think.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the Roland SH 1000.

Probably their first synth. I think they started production apporx. 1973 or so. It looks awful but it did in fact sound pretty OK. Not that useful though.. it was a very simple design.

The SH5 came around 75/76 and was far better better.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love it. That logic circuitry does wonders for recreating the sh's pwm sound. Favourite part? A friend of mine just paid AU$500 for an sh-101 on ebay Smile hehehe. I might check out the sequencer when he gets it for 'recreational' purposes Wink

By the way, besides the missing lfo waves, noise and env inverter (and microcomposer sequencer), are there any sonic differences between the sh1 and the mc202? Like for example filter or envelope flaws/characters? Another friend of mine has been after a 202 for ages and he owns a nord micro. It'd be nice if I could help him out with a patch.
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afrokid wrote:
are there any sonic differences between the sh1 and the mc202? Like for example filter or envelope flaws/characters? Another friend of mine has been after a 202 for ages and he owns a nord micro. It'd be nice if I could help him out with a patch.

From memory, the only 1 Oscillator Roland design that sounded distinct in that era was the TB. This was even more inexpensive and striped back. Roland, at the time at least, had high engineering standards and prided itself on quality and consistency.
Jim has pointed out that the SH101, unlike the SH1 has no high pass filter. This is also true of the MC202. I guess the SH1 was the ‘flag ship’ 1 Oscillator design. It can make the sounds of all the others and more.
The logic for the rectangle and sub octave has the disadvantage that aliasing is more noticeable at high frequencies. At the same time, the faster edges make for a better analogue bass IMO. It does have that scarily familiar Roland sound.
The Classic 3.0 seems to have the required modules, do they work at audio rate?

electro80 wrote:
This is the Roland SH 1000.

Yes thats the one I remember, it had 'presets' (a killer tuba) and an ADSR which has very high end in the day.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:

From memory, the only 1 Oscillator Roland design that sounded distinct in that era was the TB. This was even more inexpensive and striped back. Roland, at the time at least, had high engineering standards and prided itself on quality and consistency.
Jim has pointed out that the SH101, unlike the SH1 has no high pass filter. This is also true of the MC202. I guess the SH1 was the ‘flag ship’ 1 Oscillator design. It can make the sounds of all the others and more.
The logic for the rectangle and sub octave has the disadvantage that aliasing is more noticeable at high frequencies. At the same time, the faster edges make for a better analogue bass IMO. It does have that scarily familiar Roland sound.

It sure does. I agree with the sacrifice of high frequency aliasing for a better analogue bass - I wouldn't use an sh for high leads much anyway. Do you know of any good resources for finding out about the inner workings of these old synths? Or is it more of a listening/trial and error thing?

g2ian wrote:
The Classic 3.0 seems to have the required modules, do they work at audio rate?

I'm not too sure.. there's one way to find out! Thanks for the info Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: