electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
New features?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: New features? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. I suggest that we make some kind of system that allows postings from various forums.. or from a few forums.. at least from the "News" forum .. to show up on the front page as news items. This creates a variation of how the front page looks from day to day.. we should possibly also have pictures from the postings there..?

2. Some kind of a news summary( like headlines ) feed to other sites.. free feeds. This works great with CMS systems like phpnuke.

3. We might need a new forum for the "listen to my music" posts. These should really not go into the reviews section. I imagine we should use reviews for .. well... reviews.. ?? !?

But please argue this and disagree and whatever. These are just suggestions.

4. A new ( alternative ) interface for content in the News section. So we can sort news by category.. gear / concerts / festivals / calls for entries/papers / CD releases ... etc etc etc
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. I run my own site using phpnuke. Nuke uses the front page for showing all new news items. This generates a huge effect when it comes to hits because the search engines like google accumulates "images" of all the different front pages.. and this way the site will show up in google and others based on the changing content. Great feature.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea. I need a week to get my life back together to even play around with this, but it sounds good.

Another thing to think about, the front page software can detect a registered user via thier cookie. Thus, the front page can be different for registered and unregistered users. It may be good to have at least one front page article change,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea! I am not quite sure how this could be used well.. but this distinction between members and nonmembers is interesting.

But... first you need a vacation! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New features? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
1. I suggest that we make some kind of system that allows postings from various forums.. or from a few forums.. at least from the "News" forum .. to show up on the front page as news items. This creates a variation of how the front page looks from day to day.. we should possibly also have pictures from the postings there..?

Can you give a pointer to a site that does this, or explain the format of these front page articles. I can most easily do something like make info boxes that are for something like:

Topics with the most recent postings.

Newest topics.

It's also not to hard to make an info box with topics with mp3 attachments.

The problem with making the most recent News, or other forum, article is one of control or moderation of content. That can't be an unattended process, can it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True.. yes.. completely unmoderated can be a bit too exciting...

I will get back to you with the news feed thingie..

But.. sites like like the excellent http://www.osxaudio.com/ puts stuff on the front page..

The thing here is that this turns the system into a news oriented CMS .. which is just OK.. when it comes to certain types of content.. We need the forums.. but we need a way to use certain types of forums or posts as news items on the front page

PHPnuke actually splits this..Nuke has the same foum as you have here in the back.. as ..well.. forums.. but Nuke does the news stuff.. you can anyway add comments and build threads.. but these will show up in the news system. Nuke allows the use of categories etc to sort news. Nuke has some sille designs .. but it is quite useful.. but I am not suggesting yuu use Nuke.. you might as well write your own code for this forum software.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: