electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
HELP! Victim of (relatively) ancient technology! -- Korg X2
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tomsings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: HELP! Victim of (relatively) ancient technology! -- Korg X2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need help. My old KORG X2 Workstation's floppy disk drive no longer works and I have MANY .SNG files on 3.25 HD disks...Is there a way to:

A.) Salvage the data on the disks by using my computer?

B.) Convert the .SNG files to Standard Midi?

C.) Do this for little or no $ ?(currently experiencing a rather critical "negative cash flow"..)

Any help with this would be greeted with zealous expressions of deep and abiding gratitude![/b]

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know nothing about these modern synths, but... I seem to remember that some software equencers can read the .sng format.

Quote:
.SNG is an abbreviation of Song, and contains sequencer data and settings (such as track name, song name, patterns etc.) If you write a song that uses custom patches, then it is important to have the correct .PCG file and .SNG file together, as the custom patches are stored in the one file and the actual sequencer data using those sounds is stored in the other. You often see a .PCG bundled with a .SNG file for this reason. They usually have the same name. The exception for this is when a song uses the factory presets that the Trinity comes bundled with. In this case you would load the 'preload1.pcg' file to ensure that the sequence sounded correctly.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
tomsings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Software sequencers... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the prompt reply! Do you know of any good software sequencers? Are they expensive?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope.. not really.. but I imagine there are some freeware and shareware apps for the PC. Perhaos you could raid the music section at Http://versiontracker.com or http://download.com ?

I use Cubase 5 VST 32 Cubase SE for X. I have never checked what formats the apps can import. I mostly record audio and also use the score section in VST32 some ..

Did you try to google this?

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MIDI_File_Converter/

http://nosuch.com/mostly-midi/archive/

????

I am sure someone else here will be able to help you better.. when they eventually sees and responds to your post

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
tomsings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: I found a freeware sequencer, but... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found a Freeware Sequencer called 'Sweet Sixteen', downloaded and installed it. I went to the 'load song' command and

...apparently the problem is...

that the 3.25 in floppy disk is formatted for the KORG X2 and my computer keeps asking me if I want to format the floppy! If I re-format, I'd lose the data....(HOURS of work will go POOF!)

I appreciate your efforts. I hope you're right about others reading this and offering suggestions. Maybe I'll also investigate how to override that formatting thing in order to view and copy the existing data. What an interesting little puzzle, eh? Confused

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh.... right.. now I see.. yes.. they have some weird format of the floppies.. sorry.. I am lost.. I suggest to try to find out ore about the disk format and look for some sort of reader app for this one. there are many format readers out there.. a jungle.. probably freeware or shareware. Some Korg forum... somewhere?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
tomsings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: yeehah.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank God for freeware....yeah, I think either some format reader thang or data recovery gizmo (like the superior technical jargon?)

I'M BOUND AND DETERMINED TO GET THESE TUNES BACK! Razz

I tried some audio recovery freeware, but it doesn't search for .sng files....

....this is frustrating....

SOMEBODY!? PLEASE!!?

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wish I could help, but I don't have any experience with this kind of thing.

Have you opened up the hardware and checked out the flppy drive itself. You might just be able to put in another drive. If it uses a standard connector, that is. Floppy drives are very cheap these days, or you could maybe just borrow one from your computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tomsings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Floppy disk drive Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I may do that, but I was really more interested in getting the .sng files from the disks onto my PC and converting them to SMFs (if I can). At this point I use the X2 mainly for practice, not for composing. I may just try to contact Korg at some point this week. Rolling Eyes
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MIDI_File_Converter/

apparently the Korg N364 also uses the sng format.
You should search for other owners of the X2 or N364.
Maybe there are other Korg machines as well.
Good luck getting any tech support from Korg, but it's worth a try.

Have you tried more than one floppy in the PC, maybe you just had a bad one. If the pc won't recognize the disc format, you may be out of luck without fixing the X2 or finding a compatible machine. Even then, you might have to load the sng files and play them back recording midi into the pc.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: