electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Aurélie - Angel in Ballet Shoes
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CausaSui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Aurélie - Angel in Ballet Shoes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, please find free mp3 samples of the debut album from Aurélie at www.aurelie.co.uk

Something like what would happen if PJ Harvey, Goldfrapp and Bjork were all hanging out in the studio together. Let me know what you think, and if anyone wants to swap links, just ask.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music.com

Can't listen now because of time constraints, but I'll try when I get back from my trip.

Cheers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Angel Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Aurelie

Having a listen to Angel (the track) now. Drums at the beginning sound a little cheap I must say. A bit kind of teenager's first attempt on Fruity Loops. Try mucking em up a bit - maybe just a bit of reverb would do the job - so they don't have to stand on their own quite so much.

The voice is produced really well the whole track over - the overlayering of vocals at the beginning sounds good and the filter on it halfway through the second minute is also a good touch. The singing is cool too.

In general, I like the tune, good guitar and singing, but the drum programming and production seriously lets it down. The hats rattling on top just sound really cheap to me, and there's been no sort of post-production effort on the drums in general that I can hear. Everything else is ace, but more effort needs to go into the drums. They are NOT the instrument you can just forget about. Badly produced drums will drag the whole track down.

Is that really harsh? What do other forum members think?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I like these tracks. They have a nice feel to them. The voice parts are very good. I like the voice modulations. Makes them interesting. This music has a lot of originality to it. I don't thing the drums sound bad. I usually don't care for drums at all, but these seem to support the rest of the music and not get in the way.

Very nice stuff. Keep 'em coming... salut thumb up singing too much coffee xxsun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i land somewhere in between these two posts

yes some orginality and neat ideas..but yes a lot of problems with the production esp. drums and arrangement

'harsh' criticism is usually slightly inaccurate..and nice friendly pats on the back are also usually inaccurate

i think fellow musicians should strive to be accurate and honest in criticism..that is the best way to support another musicians' endeavours...
not to reduce one's work to clever quips or falsely prop up weak work with niceities....

Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, not what I normally listen to, but I think I can hear where you're going with it, so for what it's worth, here goes;

Angel in Ballet Shoes - Good vocal treatment, but it's your voice and what you're doing with it that's really the hook. The instrumental production after the build up just sat there for me like a brick wall. But the cut to your filtered voice and sparse guitar was sweet. As for the drums; if you're going to stay with trad drumming I think it needs more personality, more depth, more verb... more something. But if it were me, I'd throw out the trad samples and go with some unique non-trad percussive sounds.

Tear From an Angel - this track pretty much worked for me all the way around; liked the sonic pallette, vocals, arrangement.

Neptune - Great arrangement and sonics, but I thought your foreground vocals sounded a bit strained this time - like you were pushing harder than what the track needed. Maybe they could have been worked a bit or mixed differently.

Maybe it was the lofi. Maybe I'm missing your point. Basically though I think you've got something. Your voice is a hook and there's some good ideas here. I really liked your approach to these tracks. Tweak the other stuff so it gives you a solid support to work your vocals and you've got it. Cool

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reviews Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:

'harsh' criticism is usually slightly inaccurate..and nice friendly pats on the back are also usually inaccurate

i think fellow musicians should strive to be accurate and honest in criticism..that is the best way to support another musicians' endeavours...
not to reduce one's work to clever quips or falsely prop up weak work with niceities....

I am always very honest in my crits. But perhaps sometimes I could work on my diplomacy. My apologies in advance to anyone I can offend.

I think these kind of forums are the best possible resource for people who want to gain feedback on their tunes and pick up technical advice. I take it all very seriously...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... In this case the song itself is pretty ambitious.. so I guess I will make some comments. I like the song itself , but I am not completely convinced about the whole thing apart from the voice.. which is great.

To me the various instruments don´t quite sit as tight and steady as I would have liked. I am a great fan of the production of the song "Breed" by Senser. This one sounds to me to be in the same league.. songwise.. but not the result.. Keep the voice and struggle a bit more with the rest. On the other hand.. if this is how it is supposed to sound.. then I am of course way off. ..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps I should go fishing or polar bear hunting or something.. I know nothing of popular music like this anyway.
But the song and the voice... great.. and the rest can be fixed!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting discussion here. I started a new topic to follow up on these issues about criticism and feedback here on the forums.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-16216.html
paul e.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviews Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
paul wrote:

I am always very honest in my crits. But perhaps sometimes I could work on my diplomacy. My apologies in advance to anyone I can offend.

I think these kind of forums are the best possible resource for people who want to gain feedback on their tunes and pick up technical advice. I take it all very seriously...

hey i think you are making some great contributions with your criticisms..

however i do think you are using some hyperbole here and there..,, also entertaining..but a little glib

but like i said, i also think being 'nice' and protecting someone's feelings whose music may need a lot of work is not helpful either..

and i sense you are being honest....so it is excellent overall

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just heard this very "similar" song being played on the radio. This one is far better.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: