electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Artificial Brain Waves: Hearing Machine Thought
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Artificial Brain Waves: Hearing Machine Thought
Subject description: A ChucK Neural Net with Audio-Output of it's Internal Data
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, as promised some time ago, here is the phoneme recognizer with the neural net outputs converted into audio form. Must use the headphones for this one to prevent audio feedback. First it asks you to pronounce A, E, I, O, and U. Then listen to the machine-like drone of audio that it makes as it trains on the data for several minutes and learns it. The drone changes over time to a somewhat more specific type of drone, but drone it is. Finally, it goes into "running..." mode where it listens to whatever you say, tries to recognize the phoneme, and makes a different neural-net sound depending on what you say.

In other words, it is the most completely useless conglomeration of excessively underutilized technology that I have ever created, lol. But I just had to find out what it sounded like when a machine thinks. Actually I'm just outputting the values of the neuron outputs using a step Unae, perhaps adding them up and clearing them each row would be more melodious.

On another note, (yes, you deserved a pun that bad today) my music website continues to get daily hits despite the fact that I deleted all external links to it and haven't mentioned it on the forum in months. I think people are looking for the boolean sequencing stuff because the Google search keywords are along those lines, some of them anyway. Just goes to show how many music enthusiasts there are out there! If you want to check out my music site, it is here:

http://www.freedomodds.com/music/

Can you name that tune in two notes? Good, because my other note is that I met with someone from the Alumni and Development office of my old University who will help me get some much needed technical writing help on my new oscillator invention. Once it is published, I'll post all about it to the proper forum of electro-music.com. Actually it turns out you can use it as a filter, a signal detector, and an amplitude modulator in addition to its primary use as a sine wave oscillator.

Well there you go, a hodge-podge of a post describing a hodge-podge of a ChucK program. Well, it was fun to do.

Inventor

speech2text7.ck
 Description:
A ChucK Neural Net that learns 5 phonemes and outputs an audio representation of its internal data. Listen to the sound of a machine thinking about what you just said.

Download
 Filename:  speech2text7.ck
 Filesize:  22.35 KB
 Downloaded:  265 Time(s)

Dr. Spankenstein

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

On another note, (yes, you deserved a pun that bad today)

That's a couple of divisions below the "official sporks person" pun league! Laughing

I like these crazy ideas of yours for ChucK code, keep em coming.

Rhys
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Dr. Spankenstein, a little encouragement goes a long way. I wonder if I will create something tonight for you to enjoy later?... Any suggestions?
Dr. Spankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about a MIDI controlled munger/granulator using LiSa? Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dr. Spankenstein wrote:
How about a MIDI controlled munger/granulator using LiSa? Smile

Ooh, You're getting out of my area of knowledge there, don't know MIDI and don't know LiSa. Actually I also don't know what a munger/granulator is either so I'm at a loss. I have given some thought to a sound repeater / changer thingie that takes long FFT samples, changes them somehow, and replays them in some type of purposefully erratic sequence. Is that similar to what you mean?
Dr. Spankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aye that's right, there are some examples in /examples/special/Lisa-munger

...but if that is not your cup of tea, how about a picture to sound type programme a la Sonification?

Or maybe a ambient soundscape that builds up according to what data is received through a microphone (adc)?

Rhys
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dr. Spankenstein wrote:
Aye that's right, there are some examples in /examples/special/Lisa-munger

...but if that is not your cup of tea, how about a picture to sound type programme a la Sonification?

Or maybe a ambient soundscape that builds up according to what data is received through a microphone (adc)?

Rhys

Well, here's something that was easy to cook up. It's an automobile engine simulated in chuck. I used the full-wave rectifier and low-pass filter to create a microphone amplitude tracker, and revved the engine in response to the mic amplitude.

So now you can add a throaty V8 muscle car sound to any song you like, or leave it on speaker and turn up the sound to let it interact with itself over time.

rev_engine_follower.ck
 Description:
Listens to the mic and controls the revving of a muscle car engine in response to average mic amplitude. Leave it on speaker to get the feedback going.

Download
 Filename:  rev_engine_follower.ck
 Filesize:  586 Bytes
 Downloaded:  209 Time(s)

Frostburn

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dr. Spankenstein wrote:
How about a MIDI controlled munger/granulator using LiSa? :)

Not a munger nor a granulator but it's LiSa, it's MIDI and it resonates!

lisa_midi.ck
 Description:
MIDI controlled LiSa resonator.
Control the timbre of the sound with your voice.

Download
 Filename:  lisa_midi.ck
 Filesize:  5.78 KB
 Downloaded:  231 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: