electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
WTB OPA2137 & LM394
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
b-funk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: WTB OPA2137 & LM394 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi folks,

has anyone 2 spare OPA2137 (DIP) and 1 spare LM394N or CN (DIP) and is willing to sell those to me? or maybe somebody can give me a hint where to buy those in germany?

best wishes,

tobias
Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LM394CN can be bought from futurelec - its not in Germany though but its pretty efficient

http://www.futurlec.com/cgi-bin/search/qty_price.cgi?part_no=LM394N

yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well for the LM394 I ordered mine at futurlec www.futurlec.com, they can be trusted.

For the OPA2137 you can use the OPA2134 as a close substitute they are available at www.reichelt.de

Last edited by yusynth on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
b-funk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you guys Very Happy
hachiman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

these are some of the best parts... what are you building? Laughing
b-funk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i´m building sume yusynth stuff... vco & filters
hachiman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yo thx, Ill check out , Im looking for modular stuff to build to complement a custom CV solution I have in mind Smile
etaoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hachiman wrote:
these are some of the best parts...

The LM394 is "low end" really. Most people achieve better VCO tracking with the SSM2210.

hachiman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good to know thanks. I save the 394 for line level stereo preamp then
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
The LM394 is "low end" really. Most people achieve better VCO tracking with the SSM2210.

Huh? scratch

Can you expand on that a bit? Who exactly is having trouble getting the LM394 to track? This is *not* a low end chip. I have gotten perfect tracing up to 30kHz with it. In fact, it is better than what you need for an expo converter -- I usually use the CA3083.

Very Happy

Ian
etaoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have experienced it myself.
Ray Wilson also sees 2 octaves more tracking with the SSM2210 instead of the LM394 in his VCO (he explicitly advises using it on his website).

So I just assumed the SSM2210 was better.

frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
I have experienced it myself.
Ray Wilson also sees 2 octaves more tracking with the SSM2210 instead of the LM394 in his VCO (he explicitly advises using it on his website).
So I just assumed the SSM2210 was better.
OK, but two guys using a "budget" design is hardly "most people".

The 2210 might have slightly better specs, but with a careful design you can easy get 9 octaves tracking using inexpensive monolithic pairs such as the CA3083. The LM394 is an excellent choice for a VCO converter, as the many designs that have used it show.

Very Happy

Ian
etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so not "most people" then Wink

frijitz wrote:
The 2210 might have slightly better specs, but with a careful design you can easy get 9 octaves tracking using inexpensive monolithic pairs such as the CA3083.

Yes, but are any of the pcb designs out there actually using such careful designs? The ones I've tried (MFOS, CGS, Marc Bareille's ASM) seem to benefit from the SSM2210.

But maybe I just have a bad batch of LM394's...
I have the DIPs from Futurelec and some cans from Farnell. The cans are definitely better as well.

Louis

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I split of the transistor pairs question to : http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23394.html
adhdboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: LM394 or SSM2210?
Subject description: I will definitely check out Ian's suggestions.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the greatest respect for Ian. He is very analytical and makes excellent suggestions. My results (regarding LM394 versus SSM2210) were found informally by replacing my LM394 (can type) pairs with SSM2210 (DIP type). The SSM2210 seemed to just work after I popped it in replacing the LM394 and thus I suggested it's use instead of the LM394. I will definitely check out Ian's suggestions regarding the LM394 since it is more economical than the SSM2210. From reading Ian's posts and replies on the synth-diy list it is obvious that he has a lot of skill at in-depth electronic analysis (which is not my strongest suit) including the math behind it all. As I have often said "I'm a breadboard experimental type of guy" and I make suggestions based on observations rather than analysis. If Ian makes a suggestion it's definitely worth checking out.
frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LM394 or SSM2210?
Subject description: I will definitely check out Ian's suggestions.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adhdboy wrote:
I have the greatest respect for Ian. He is very analytical and makes excellent suggestions. My results (regarding LM394 versus SSM2210) were found informally by replacing my LM394 (can type) pairs with SSM2210 (DIP type). The SSM2210 seemed to just work after I popped it in replacing the LM394 and thus I suggested it's use instead of the LM394. I will definitely check out Ian's suggestions regarding the LM394 since it is more economical than the SSM2210. From reading Ian's posts and replies on the synth-diy list it is obvious that he has a lot of skill at in-depth electronic analysis (which is not my strongest suit) including the math behind it all. As I have often said "I'm a breadboard experimental type of guy" and I make suggestions based on observations rather than analysis. If Ian makes a suggestion it's definitely worth checking out.

Many thanks for the kind words, Ray! Hopefully we can work together and find out why the two chips seem to behave so differently in your application.

Very Happy

Ian
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i found some more sources for the opa2137 and opa2134

opa2137: http://www.newark.com/75C4630/semiconductors-prototyping/product.us0?sku=TEXAS-INSTRUMENTS-OPA2137P.

opa2134:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160206315487&Category=113484&_trksid=p3907.m29

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Jump to: