electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
roscoeXP

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm in england, sunny dudley!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"The heart of the black country".. nudge nudge and so forth?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elektro80, great photo. I have been searching for 20 minutes and can't find anything pictures of Dudley, except the zoo and a few hotel shots. Cool

Oh well, this is OT. off topic

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
Did you now f.i.you can get some beautiful ring mod like sounds from the flute? keep one note steady, but make with your voice a glide. That sorta things.

I played flute through high school and used to do that same sort of technique - also humming along with the notes you were playing made for some great effects. I used to make my own flute pickups by taking off the end cap on the head piece and threading a transistor radio earphone onto the threaded rod that the cap was attached to. Screwed it on till the diaphragm in the earphone just touched the metal rod. Plugged it into all kinds of effects - phaser, tape echoes, octave boxes, etc... That was fun! Very Happy

Genevieve, Howard - that was some beautiful music! Well done Exclamation

Dave
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Dave... Hope to see you in Cheltenham this weekend... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Thanks, Dave... Hope to see you in Cheltenham this weekend... Very Happy

We're going to try and make it but it depends on my work load. I have a choir concert I have to mix down and deliver before Sunday.

I might be meeting up with Gert from Waveworld on Sunday - still waiting on confirmation of that.

Dave
ZZZZZZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GREAT!

My thoughts goes to the Swedish composer Ralfh Lundsten. It must be great to compose for your own daughter!
Good work!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, ZZZZZZ.
kendra-unique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was really great!

I was very apprehensive in the first movement. My attention ended up shifting to the flute for most of the song which in turn gave a little more acceptance to the chaos that was the drums. Following the first movement I found the second to be very relaxing and peaceful, and the third movement brought both ends of the spectrum together in perfect balance... absolutely brilliant.

Upon reading the replies, apparently I was duped, because that's exactly what you were trying to achieve Wink

Brilliant work, from both you and your daughter.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Kendra-Unique. I'm glad you liked it.

The tension in the first movement was indeed intensional. If I was writing for a CD or some non-live performance I might not do that because people can easily just stop the playback and get on with something else. But in a live situation they are captive and doing that can be effective. Thanks for sticking it out... Laughing

Carsulae

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Very nice and charming Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice and charming
I like sounds of alto flute, sometimes i had plaied this instruments (i am a flutist) and it is'nt so simply to play!!!
A compliment to Genevieve,expecially for second movement

Have you wroten something for bass flute?
Is a strange instrument but its sound is quite soft and, i think, interesting to listen in some electroacoustic pieces.

What do you think about?

An interesting link for informations about family flutes :
http://www.jupiterflutes.com/alto_bass.html

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Mosc,
I just discovered Genni-M2 by using the audio files per member button, (with 77 posted you can imagine it will be a while before I hear them all!)
Just wanted to let you know how impressed I am. Until now I really had no idea what kind of electro-music you were into. Love the treatments, love the production, love the soul!
Thanks for sharing.
Andrew

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, both of you.

Romani, I never worte for Bass Flute. Sounds very interesting. Just need to find someone who has one. Wink

Uncle, you pointed out a serious problem with the forum I've been thinking about for well over a year. There is so much stuff that is quite difficult to find. Stay tuned; more improvements in this area to come.

BTW, there are other pieces you might like on my artist forum.

adhdboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Totally cool synth and alto flute
Subject description: Loved it
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really enjoyed listening to these alot. You and your daughter make a great space music team. Keep up the awesome work.

Cheers

Ray

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much, Ray. It means a lot from you.
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hadn't heard Howard's Concerto for Alto Flute and I am grateful that this thread got bumped.

Howard's compositions cover a wide territory and this work very nicely blends the Alto Flute and synthesized sounds. To know that this was a collaboration between Howard and Genevieve makes this all the more touching.

The third movement provides a great ending to this work -- with lyrical flute passages that contrast with the more strident flute part in the first two movements.

I downloaded all three movements and have listened to them as a group, one after the other. To hear this work from end-to-end is, to me, the ideal way to listen to this.

Any plans to perform this in the future?

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Kevin. I really was trying to base this on Wolfgangs concerti. The relationship between the electronics and the acoustic alto flute was a bit contentious. I was thinking of Wolfy's adagios while writing the second movement. You can't have the middle movement without the first and last ones. They should set you up the middle and let you out. The ending is sort of a "you go your way and I'll go mine" thing, but we'll get together again.

More in the future, we both hope so, but we live 3000 miles appart and all that.

Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
So in the first movement, I just threw them at each other, with a percussion section to hold things together. The flute reacts to all the electronic gyrations to which it can't keep up by trying to convince it to calm down, and mellow out. My hope was that the first movement would remove as many of the audience's preconceptions of what this music was going to sound like. If they can't hear it as humorous, amusing and a little intriguing, then they should be a bit anxious and disoriented. It's a setup for what is to follow.

Good.

I like very much this music.

I'm impressed.

The flute is integrated perfectly on the mix.

For say anything Smile Maybe it would be better a bit more loud (flute) 3 movement.

Very good.

Òscar.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much...
pliorius

Audio files: 146

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i love wind instruments sounding with electronics since hearing saariaho's l'aile du songe..
and this work is very beautiful and well distributed in time.
regards
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks...
x_x

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great music, I really enjoyed it.

1st movement was my favorite.

Thumbs up!!!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you enjoyed it.
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: