electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
XR2206 LFO?
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: XR2206 LFO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I picked up a couple of XR2206's from my local shop the other day, since they had them in stock. I was originally thinking I may build a couple of TH's XR2206 VCO at some point, but I don't really need additional VCOs right now... however, the datasheet mentions they can be used for LFO's... and I could definitely use a couple of very simple LFOs... is there an XR2206 LFO project around anywhere?
crashlander42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bugbrand did an alternative layout for the XRVCO with a VCO/LFO switch.

It's on his site under electronics http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/pages/electronics.htm

There's further discussion of the XR2206 LFO mod in the original XR2206 thread

I did the layout off of Scott Stites page, and hacked in the LFO option later. Works well.

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe the XR would make a fine LFO.

My somewhat exotic sync idea (used in the XR-VCO) would be particularly useful, I think. This would permit synchronizing the LFO to a rhythmic pattern.

But tread carefully before thinking of using the four quadrant multiplier as an amplitude control. It sucks as a VCA. In the XR-VCO and the MPS it shines, though, since it's being used as a ring modulator to create new waveforms.

But before getting too carried away, be sure to see what my parenthetical buddy Tim Servo has coming with the SuperController Mark II (or whatever it's called---I'm too senile to remember now), using the 8038. That's the LFO that does everything but clean the lavatory.

Thomas Henry
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:
That's the LFO that does everything but clean the lavatory.

Oh that's a shame Sad

I was hoping that there would be an ultrasonic mode, a mode that could be used both to levitate my fillings as well as clean the bog out! Shocked Idea

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
numbernone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built a few XR VCOs with the extra cap per Bugbrand addon. Seems to make a perfectly capable square and triangle, quite slow with a 5uf cap. I suppose you could add a bunch of waveshapers etc. for a decked out model. I have tryed a reset from the sync jack, thus far with out luck.

Man I really need some retriggering LFOs...
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: XR2206 LFO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Thomas Henry wrote:
That's the LFO that does everything but clean the lavatory.

Oh that's a shame Sad

I was hoping that there would be an ultrasonic mode, a mode that could be used both to levitate my fillings as well as clean the bog out! Shocked Idea

Maybe a new cap would give the LFO a higher range, in which case "LFO" stands for "Lavatory/Filling Oscillator." Or not.

I would think that a larger cap would drop the XR VCO down into LFO territory. Maybe a 2.2 or 4.7uF would do the trick. As far as Thomas' megasupercontrollerII LFO (from AS21C), I have the PCBs and I'm currently populating and testing one. I did make a mistake that is going to require a couple of cut and jumps, but I think that's it. I'll know more in the next day or so. This LFO has sync, expo FM, and a couple of different delay options, and is built with 8038, 3080, 555, 1458, 4016 and TL074 chips. It's a busy board, but it has some very enticing capabilities. I think we're calling this one the "Cucamonga." Mo' details as they're available.

Tim ('Cuuuucamonga where the wind comes sweepin' cross the plains) Servo
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:

But before getting too carried away, be sure to see what my parenthetical buddy Tim Servo has coming with the SuperController Mark II (or whatever it's called---I'm too senile to remember now), using the 8038. That's the LFO that does everything but clean the lavatory.

Thomas Henry

Ok, now that I'm salivating like a pvlovian pooch...Where's the info on this LFO?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: XR2206 LFO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ARF!

Well, let's see. This is the LFO from Thomas' AS21C book. It's a 3 page schematic, and probably the busiest board I've laid out so far. On the feature side, it has:

*Delay that can be started by a gate signal, a footswitch, or a separate delay trigger.
*Sync input.
*Expo CV inputs.
*Gate and Trigger outputs.
*Selectable Ramp polarity.
*Selectable Tri, Sine or Ramp wave at the main out.
*Frequency Indicating Bipolar Blinky Light! (FIBBL) (©, ™, ®, pat pend)

Definitely worth saving an 8038 and a 3080 for. As I've said, the schematics are in AS21C, but it's complicated enought that I can understand not wanting to try breadboarding or protoboarding it. The PCB will definitely make this one easier. Coming soon. Really (I hope to finish testing/troubleshooting tomorrow during the Souper Bowl).

Tim (watching the Souper Bowl for the commercials) Servo
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Sounds tasty. I now officially have one 8038 and a 3080 set aside for this wonder of boardage. I look forward to it's release.

Thanks Tim!

P.S. Love that book!
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: XR2206 LFO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
As I've said, the schematics are in AS21C, but it's complicated enought that I can understand not wanting to try breadboarding or protoboarding it. The PCB will definitely make this one easier.

Agreed. The breadboarding stage of this just about killed me. But it got even worse when I did the PNP Blue layout for the prototype; it was so complex, I had to do it on two separate boards and glue them together.

Yes, it's complex, but this is really the circuit that makes the rest of the synth sing. And Tim Servo, you neglected to mention the built in lag-time control which is what makes the delayed vibrato really something compared to its country cousin the SuperController. The steady, smooth increase to full modulation sounds so cool.

By the way, when I originally did the design a couple years ago, only my compatriot Scott Stites had the courage to beta test it on a breadboard. I don't know where he gets his patience; on my side it took an incredible amount of blaspheming to get the job done.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but really, this is a job for a PCB. Most of us don't have Scott's patience for breadboarding something that requires seven-hundred feet of hookup wire.

Thomas Henry
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, and I just wanted a couple simple LFOs! Smile Smile

I'll probably be ordering a board too. Thanks so much for the information and replies.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I was wondering when that LFO would show up, and now you're sneaking it in the back door! no no

Looking forward...

C
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: XR2206 LFO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I try to avoid sneaking too much stuff in the back door...

However, Magic Smoke is working on the AS21C LFO and several other gizmos from Thomas' book. The LFO is a busy little beast, and I'm STILL in the troubleshooting & checking phase on the initial PCBs. I will scream and shout when they're checked out and ready to go. Next up will probably be the Multi-Mode VCF-VCA combo, or perhaps the VCOs. After that, probably the Clocked Noise / Sample-Hold / ADSR / along with a simple LFO in a combo module. In the words of Master Yoda, "Very preliminary, this news is."

Tim (also a busy little beast) Servo
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that's good news indeed! That AS21C LFO is a masterpiece, AFAIC.

Cheerios,
Scott

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: