electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
beat making for nord lead 2x
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
matt_r_baker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: beat making for nord lead 2x
Subject description: how do i make beats on the nord lead 2x
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to make beats on the nord lead 2x.... from what i can gather from the manual, reviews and the demo songs, it appears you can but i dont know how to and i cant find it in the manual

can anyone help?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome matt_r_baker

They can't write everything in the Manual Smile

First of all, what do you mean with 'beats'. I hope a rhythmic structure...? If so, the NordLead can, although in a limited way, but more freely then a beat-box. I hope you have the keyboard version, because if you like this, it will make your weekend Wink

There is no internal sequencer in the NordLead (no Midi data storage in any way), but there is an Arpeggiator. And there is a Percussion mode. In the attached example I used the first factory preset.

Important If you need to set the speed the same, used the [Shift+LFO1-Rate] to see the value in the LCD screen.

Using the Arp Range and pressing one ore more keys one can change the rhythmic structure. The Arpeggiator will react to the latest pressed zone value!

The eight Percussion locations are very important in the set up. To set the Arpeggiator you first press the black key in a sound zone to change the Arp. Speed, Range and configuration are available, at least, on my machine they are... I should say, leave the Random option in rhythmic structures alone. If you don't want a particular sound, like the cow bell in the example, in the result, change it by one you like or just turn it of by setting the 'gain' value at 0. It will give you a gap in the structure.

I know, it's a rather complicated story and you have to examine it very carefully and learn it's possibilities, so many NordLead users just grab a sequencer and Midi. Maybe that's why they left it out of the Manual Smile I don't think it is used by the Demo song, BTW

Why should you use it?
It can be used live and be played by a musician instead of just another machine. Smile

The example was made live.

Wout

ExampleDrumsByArp01.mp3
 Description:
Beats example

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp01.mp3
 Filesize:  403.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1126 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another example of the NL Percussion mode played by the Arpeggiator.

Set up:
The highest zone is made silent, which makes it possible to use it to stop the Arp running. It also creates a gap in the structure.
All Arps were set to a speed of 70 using the [Shift+LFO1 WaveForm selector]
I also set every sound Unison.
Some Arpeggiators are set down, others are set up&down.
Some Ranges are set different, so they won't run all the eight zones.

(Maybe it would be nice to investigate what's exactly happening...)

Every bar is triggered twice: the start trigger and a trigger about half way, which is made using two keys at once, so the sound is doubled. I did this at my own feel. If needed, these triggers could be recorded in any Midi program (which I don't like, because everything could be made much easier in a Midi sequencer)

I opened the Wheel half way, so the sounds, original P0 sound different.

Wout

PS Attachment is a *.wav file, because *.mp3 was to much distorted...

ExampleDrumsByArp02.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp02.wav
 Filesize:  8.48 MB
 Downloaded:  1107 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This time with the SysEx files.
One trigger using Velocity to double up the tempo, second trigger stops the Arp.

Wout

ExampleDrumsByArp03.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp03.wav
 Filesize:  2.33 MB
 Downloaded:  1018 Time(s)

ExampleDrumsByArp03Sound01.syx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp03Sound01.syx
 Filesize:  139 Bytes
 Downloaded:  326 Time(s)

ExampleDrumsByArp03Sound02.syx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp03Sound02.syx
 Filesize:  139 Bytes
 Downloaded:  316 Time(s)

fischek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
They can't write everything in the Manual Smile

Actually, as a Technical Writer myself (I write user guides most of the time), I think they should've written *everything* in the manual. All possible applications of the instrument. That's what the manual is for...

Wout Blommers wrote:

Important If you need to set the speed the same, used the [Shift+LFO1-Rate] to see the value in the LCD screen.

Thank you very much for giving us this information. I thought it wasn't possible. Can't wait to come home and try it out.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:

Actually, as a Technical Writer myself (I write user guides most of the time), I think they should've written *everything* in the manual. All possible applications of the instrument. That's what the manual is for...

That's a lofty goal but there aren't enough planets in the universe to hold all the trees that would be needed to print even a single copy of that manual.

fischek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

That's a lofty goal but there aren't enough planets in the universe to hold all the trees that would be needed to print even a single copy of that manual.

I guess not that huge part of the universe is necessary for explaining such a simple concept of using arpeggiators for creating the beat...I might be wrong though.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
... I might be wrong though.
Yes, you are Very Happy
Everything can be written in the Manual, like which sounds you'll need to play the Fifth of Van Beethoven or Yesterday of The Beatles. Using Arpeggiators in the Percussion mode is just a possibility of the NordLead, although very limited, because the result is rather unpredictable. Using a normal sequencer (program) is much more easier. But the unpredictable aspect also creates lots of fun. To me the NL is a fun machine Smile
Quote:
Thank you very much for giving us this information. I thought it wasn't possible. Can't wait to come home and try it out.
Value 56 is 120 beats per minute. The rest I have to find out still...

Wout

Oh! And don't forget the HOLD function!!!!
fischek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
fischek wrote:
... I might be wrong though.
Yes, you are Very Happy
Everything can be written in the Manual, like which sounds you'll need to play the Fifth of Van Beethoven or Yesterday of The Beatles. Using Arpeggiators in the Percussion mode is just a possibility of the NordLead, although very limited, because the result is rather unpredictable. Using a normal sequencer (program) is much more easier. But the unpredictable aspect also creates lots of fun. To me the NL is a fun machine Smile
Quote:
Value 56 is 120 beats per minute. The rest I have to find out still...

Wout

Oh! And don't forget the HOLD function!!!!

I am still not sure how you've proven me wrong by giving that pointless example, but...have it your way. I was giving my opinion as a professional in the field - not sure how many manuals you or Kassen have written in your lives.

Whatever the case, I'll try the trick you've just shared and yes I agree it's fun, but there are some usability issues.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you link to a few of the manuals you have written? I would be quite interested to see how a professional like yourself goes about the task of describing every possible application of a instrument.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
I am still not sure how you've proven me wrong by giving that pointless example, but...have it your way. I was giving my opinion as a professional in the field - not sure how many manuals you or Kassen have written in your lives.
No, I don't want to prove you wrong, it was a bad joke, although I thought the smiley would explain. About these Manual thing, I think Clavia didn't designed the NL this way, as a kind of drum machine. It's us users which try these silly things, so as where Clavia didn't thought it was a real part of the machine, they surely wouldn't write about it.

Anyway, my apologies to you.
Quote:
Whatever the case, I'll try the trick you've just shared and yes I agree it's fun, but there are some usability issues.
Sure there are usability issues. At the other hand I find the 'human failure' playing the Percussion this way very attractive. Here some more of my findings...

The LFO is global to the complete Percussion set up, which means the latest played setting is used by all zones. I have to figure out how the synth react to some actions. The next example is a simple two sound bar set up, where the setting of the snare is different: the Speed is much higher then the bass zone. Playing the snare starts a roll and playing the bass afterwards starts a simpler structure. Note the slight irregular structure.

The second example shows what happens if the action is reversed. First two bars is start the little roll and switching to the simple one, like the first example, then the same action reversed - first the bass and switching to the side - next two bars are both triggered by two keys (lowest note priority?) and the last two bars the same as in the beginning.

Wout

ExampleDrumsByArp04.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp04.wav
 Filesize:  2.55 MB
 Downloaded:  1017 Time(s)

ExampleDrumsByArp04a.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ExampleDrumsByArp04a.wav
 Filesize:  2.41 MB
 Downloaded:  981 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
Are trying to tell me you've never been on the 'special issues page' of the NordLead2? Do you know about the 'Secret Filter...?'

See
http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/023_Miscellaneous/NordLeadSecrets.htm

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Anyway, my apologies to you.

Accepted and sorry If I sounded harsh...as for the trick you've shared, my point is I am sorry it wasn't included in the manual as it is a very useful feature.

Of course you can use the external sequencer with the percussion sounds, but it is also fun to use the onboard arpeggiators for that purpose - I just never realized there was a way to tell the actual speed. Not only with the drums, but also when trying to run 2 arpeggiators in sync (is that possible?). I guess it should be possible to have a kick and a bass run simultaneously. The only issue is making them sync.

Perhaps you could create some sort of "Tips and Tricks" sticky where things like this would be posted. Thanks!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
Perhaps you could create some sort of "Tips and Tricks" sticky where things like this would be posted.

See my post of 1:26...

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just found some nice examples of the things we are trying to talk about. It was posted by somebody anonymous on the Analogue Heaven list.
Quote:
Just 5 minutes of playing around but stuck with my normal work so I thought I'd take a break.

It is the nord lead 1 percussion session with lots of lfo to filter and arps for many of the percussion instruments.
Some pitch bending and mod wheel action too...

http://tinyurl.com/2fskse

and made into a little track

http://tinyurl.com/327p24

Wout
msy2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm the one who made those.

Here are three more:

1. http://tinyurl.com/2bejwd

2. http://tinyurl.com/244t7d

3. http://tinyurl.com/22r3ts

I didn't post these to AH. No one replied so I figured no one was too interested.

These are all done "live" on a Nord Lead 1 using the percussion parts and arps.

Number 1 is my favorite. It was the last one I did and is a bit more refined. It has more melodic parts.

Now that I listen, I think Number 1 and maybe some of these others used patches other than percussion. All were still done live using layered patches. No overdubs and nothing but the nord lead 1 (2.0 expanded version).

Some have a few bits of me switching through patches while I find something that works.

Comments welcome!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

msy2 wrote:
... Comments welcome!
As soon as I get home, tonight Smile

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

msy2 wrote:
Comments welcome!

Nr 1. is my fav. as well, but they are all nice !

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

msy2 wrote:
... Some have a few bits of me switching through patches while I find something that works. ...
I noticed Very Happy There are some parts I was thinking 'Please, stay a while over here...' But these improvisations give a good listening what is possible. I miss some low, though. I find 2 the most interesting one.

Wout
lowlight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: beat making for the NL2??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Wout,
does everything discussed about beat making with the NL2X apply to the NL2 as well? If not what are the differences?
Thanks,
lowlight
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: beat making for the NL2??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lowlight wrote:
Hey Wout,
does everything discussed about beat making with the NL2X apply to the NL2 as well? If not what are the differences? ...
The only difference is the memory, so you have to use the PCMIA cards or, not as easy, NordGenerator. The cards can be used to save complete 'percussion mode' sounds.

Wout
lowlight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: beat making for the nord lead 2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout,
thank you, that was my first question. Ok for my next one, I don't want to seem redundant but the answer for the initial post that started the thread was to me a little difficult for me to understand. Sorry to seem so ignorant. I tried following the suggestions you had but I was not successful. The examples you created were a little more complicated than I was needing so I would think the procedure would be a little more simple. Sorry for the long windedness of this. Thank you in advance!!
lowlight
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I try to do it step by step...

1 Just realise the Percussion mode is in fact eight synths in one Slot. Each percussion synthesizer has three or four white keys (the Percussion zone) to be triggered by the keyboard. Playing a black key brings the Percussion in an Edit mode. All parameters and connections can be changed. A changed Percussion can only be saved to a PCMIA card (NL2) or in the free memory of the NL2X.

I recommend changing and saving some Percussion sounds to try things out.

2 There is an Arpeggiator. This feature plays notes in a specific order.
If the Arp button is activated, the direction button creates five different patterns which the Arp can play. The Arp Range parameter give how many octaves the range to play will be.

I recommend playing with the Arp, Arp Range and other Arp parameters will give some insight how the Arpeggio on the NordLead functions.

3 When setting a value, like the Arp Rate (speed), using the Shift + LFO1-Wave form button, will switch from Program number to parameter value. Turning any knob will change the value, which can be set in the desired one. 56 is 120 beats per minute!

4 There is a Hold function. Pressing Shift + Arp will hold all pressed keys until the number of voices are not sufficient enough.

I recommend playing with these features until something musical will appear out of the boxes Smile

5 here comes the trick...
Every program (synth) in the Percussion mode can have it's own Arpeggiator settings. Together with the Hold it can play patterns. One thing is important: the LFO's are global, so when more arps are functional, they all take the Range and the Rate of the last pressed key!
Note the Arp will jump in octaves.

Try to find something musical.

6 Editing a Percussion sound can also be shutting down the Program Gain. It will be a 'gap' in the pattern.

Improvisation with different trigger actions on the keyboard will bring surprising patterns. Also using different Rates.

7 Using small bleeps & blips all four Slots can be used.

It will keep you from the streets some time Smile

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: