electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Experimenting with algorithmic composition
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Experimenting with algorithmic composition Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT: This thread was started by Gabriel Sanchez, but due to some cosmic twist that post has gone.
He will repost his message further on in this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ my post
It's an etude, not yet a piece.
I think these reviews are having too much a narrow classical perspective.
Algorithmic compositions should be judged in another way.
First of all, one could choose the sound of a piano, but it could be played in way, that's not possible for a human or a real piano.
Did you try fractal algorithms ?

Last edited by Sam_Zen on Sat May 10, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa... wait a minute? I was going to give it a quick listen over the weekend (didn't have time during the week). Where did it go?

For good or ill, you have to have a thick skin in the music world. There is always somebody who will like what you're doing and somebody who will be critical. I think it's a mistake to remove a posting because of a reply other than "you're a genius"... but the original poster will probably never see this. Oh well.

James

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What happened? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently had an accident with an anti spam tool I made in which posts and users have been deleted that should not have been deleted. It looks like this is another one.

This is very annoying, I'm really sorry that this happened and I apologize for this. The tool has been turned off as I don't know what went wrong exactly.

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To err is human. To err while programing is inevitable.
Veil

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanna hear it now!!!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder, it´s the initial post in this thread ( and its maker) that got wasted by the Dirty Harry script?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Sat May 03, 2008 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could be right Stein, as I see that some empty email addresses were banned ... there seem to be some missing checks.
x_x

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good music; sometimes quite humorous.

welcome

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, glad you reposted. (I've seen some people come in and then, when they don't hear raving good compliments within a couple of hours, post some bitter remark and then leave, never to return. So I thought it might be that, but I'm glad it isn't.)

BTW, my company hires a lot of graduates from ITESM. Is that where you are?

Still haven't had time to listen to more than a couple of minutes, but you've got some nice algorithms going there. Keep it up!

James

x_x

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Good music; sometimes quite humorous.

welcome

Thanks, I'm glad you got the humor aspect of it Very Happy

BTW I heard the third movement of your flute and electronics concerto, its great! I really enjoyed it. I'll hear it all later. (I'm on finals)

dewdrop_world wrote:
Cool, glad you reposted. (I've seen some people come in and then, when they don't hear raving good compliments within a couple of hours, post some bitter remark and then leave, never to return. So I thought it might be that, but I'm glad it isn't.)

BTW, my company hires a lot of graduates from ITESM. Is that where you are?

Still haven't had time to listen to more than a couple of minutes, but you've got some nice algorithms going there. Keep it up!

James

Yeah, I'm in 4th semester ITESM. A lot of company's come here and recruit engineers, especially Microsoft. Whats the name of your company? (I need a job Razz)

I'm glad you liked what I've done. Smile I checked one of your live works in your site, very nice music!(y) And interesting software, I might check the linux version.

The garageband link didn't work (sighs)

here are some of the reviews
Quote:

sad piece
A sad piece.
It has melancholy emotions.
Could you play it on a real piano, with some human variation and timing?
Reviewed by: timothymurphy from Havant, United Kingdom [flag]

Etudes
A strange Etudes for piano. Sound like a mix of Prokoviev and chopin. ANd it is very short. I was expecting some evolution but it stops suddently. Nice performance. Very fast.
Reviewed by: Adina_Spire from Arad, Romania

Good old piano
Sounds like a lovely melody for piano. Just few things don't ad up and maybe to make it simpler would actually improve it but well done.
Reviewed by: Ondrej_P from Bristol, United Kingdom [flag]

Wow
Very intriguing piece for the incredibly short length that it lasts. I truly enjoyed listening to it, but you can scarcely be fully applauded for composing a tune for 30 seconds. Give me three minutes of the same intelligence and I'd give you five stars.
Reviewed by: jeremydhiebert from Riverton, Manitoba, Canada [flag]

I'll leave you with another quote by Hofstadter from the book Virtual Music by David Cope:

Quote:
"How could emotional music be coming out of a program that had never heard a note, never lived a moment of life, never had any emotions whatsoever?"

[/quote]
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gsanchez wrote:
Yeah, I'm in 4th semester ITESM. A lot of company's come here and recruit engineers, especially Microsoft. Whats the name of your company? (I need a job Razz)

It's MicroStrategy. To my surprise, I find myself fascinated by the technology.

gsanchez wrote:
I'm glad you liked what I've done. Smile I checked one of your live works in your site, very nice music!(y) And interesting software, I might check the linux version.

Yes, supercollider is interesting software! It took over my life a bit more than five years ago and I haven't looked back.

Hofstadter wrote:
"How could emotional music be coming out of a program that had never heard a note, never lived a moment of life, never had any emotions whatsoever?"

Good quote indeed... since another thread has started about David Cope's work, I think I will follow up there when I have a chance. My folks are in town so I might not get to it for a few days.

James

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: