electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
My Sequential Switch
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: My Sequential Switch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been planning to start a page for my modular for some time. I finally got started and made a page for my Sequential Switch.

http://thealisonproject.com/synth/seqswitch.html

www.myspace.com/theyakuzacowboys
6079smith

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice. Neat how you've got so many of the functions there fitted on a 3U panel... doesn't feel too cramped either. The Mix In pot is a great idea too. I'll probably follow your lead and use a 5v regulator for the sequencer pots, I've got the pots on mine wired directly to 15v and out through a 220k (?) resistor. It can be a little unstable at times... I'll post a picture when I can get some decent light down here in the basement...

So, when are you going to write up the rest of that behemoth you have!?
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful! I'll be cramming the same thing on a 2U panel(minus the gate outputs cause those will be covered(mostly) by the master divider)

I'm not quote grokking how the DIR CV works and what the MIX IN and INHIBIT do. Do you think you could explain a bit?

I can't wait to see more.

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

6079smith wrote:
doesn't feel too cramped either.
So, when are you going to write up the rest of that behemoth you have!?

I am fine with this layout for room, I know it's not for everyone in MOTM format but I prefer it to the diagonal small knob layout used by Tellun.

When I have time I plan to put up more and more pages, school keeps me pretty busy but I should definately have a few more up this weekend.

neandrewthal wrote:

I'm not quote grokking how the DIR CV works and what the MIX IN and

The Direction CV allows you to use voltage to change the direction of the clock.

The Mix In allows you to mix an outside signal in with your output. So if you are running as a sequencer you can add a LFO to the Mix In and it gets added to the sequence... Or when using as an audio switch, throw in some audio signal to mix with all the signals it is switching thru... Mix in is one of my favorite features of this module.

The Inhibit disables the unit when high.

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neandrewthal wrote:
Beautiful! I'll be cramming the same thing on a 2U panel(minus the gate outputs cause those will be covered(mostly) by the master divider)

The master divider will give you different options than the Seq Switch gate outs, are you planning a rotary with the gate outs attached to reset so you can set it for different numbers of stages.

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Alison Project wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:

The master divider will give you different options than the Seq Switch gate outs, are you planning a rotary with the gate outs attached to reset so you can set it for different numbers of stages.

Oops. Now that I thkink about it, the master divider will only do the job of the gate outputs when the sequential switch is set to 2, 4, or 8 steps and no reset/direction CV is used.

Just did a quick panel layout. The DIR CV pot has a push-pull switch for initial direction. The 9 crosses in the middle are the manual reset button surrounded by LEDs.

SWITCH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.31 KB
 Viewed:  472 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SWITCH.jpg

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I want the gate outputs. However, a bigger panel is not an option. I see I have 2 reset inputs on that panel layout Embarassed Perhaps I could turn one of them into a combined gate output and route them there through push-pull switches in the input attenuator pots to retain some of the gate function. How often do you find yourself running more than one of the gate outputs to separate inputs?
6079smith

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neandrewthal wrote:
How often do you find yourself running more than one of the gate outputs to separate inputs?

Often, but then they are there. Hey, it's an eight stage gate sequencer as well, what's not to love? As for the two reset inputs, there is the option of a reset CV and momentary pushbutton... maybe you were thinking of that? I have a reset button on mine, but I had room for it - I put the whole thing on a whopping 4U MOTM-style panel. Extravagant, I know...
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

6079smith wrote:
As for the two reset inputs, there is the option of a reset CV and momentary pushbutton... maybe you were thinking of that?

Actually, the cross in the middle of the input attenuators is supposed to be the reset pushbutton. I just made two reset inputs for no apparent reason during a 4am rush-job doh

6079smith

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neandrewthal wrote:
I just made two reset inputs for no apparent reason during a 4am rush-job

Whoops! Yeah, I have a CV mixer with two channel 5's...
The Alison Project

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neandrewthal, layout looks good... What kinds of push/pull switch pots are you using.

Also where from Canada are you from.

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

6079smith wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:
I just made two reset inputs for no apparent reason during a 4am rush-job

Whoops! Yeah, I have a CV mixer with two channel 5's...

I have a Blacet VCO Motm sized panel with a COURSE pot, ughhhhh

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Alison Project wrote:
Neandrewthal, layout looks good... What kinds of push/pull switch pots are you using.

Also where from Canada are you from.

Thanks, I use these switch pots.

I'm in the synth wasteland of Sudbury, Ontario. You?

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I will keep those in mind for future panels.

I am in Winnipeg, thought I posted that but for some reason I did not.

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've finally figured out a way to make room for the gate outputs without sacrificing any features: Build a second and sacrifice features on that one. You really can't have too many of these things.
The Alison Project

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neandrewthal wrote:
I've finally figured out a way to make room for the gate outputs without sacrificing any features: Build a second and sacrifice features on that one. You really can't have too many of these things.

For sure, the Seq Switch has so many uses I could easily see having more than a couple of them, especially if you don't have sequencers. I constantly use my Seq Switch as a switch because I have other sequencers.

Also if your ever planning to build a CGS Gate Sequencer or an 8 step Programmer Sequencer, the gate outputs on those will be the same as those on the Seq Switch as long as your running both modules off the same clock.

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: