electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Historical Composition Technique
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Historical Composition Technique
Subject description: A method I thought up for generating songs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is nothing new, but it is new to me and I thought it would be worth some discussion. I recently poured out my emotions into composing an album of songs that chronicles a significant period of difficulty in my life. Having gotten all my emotions out that way was very healthy and quite a relief, however I am left with the question: "what next?".

I thought about it off and on for days and came up with the following formula for generating songs based on history. Here is what I wrote about it

Quote:
Choose a topic of historical significance. It could be anything including fiction: World War I or II, Vietnam, the Inquisition, the fall of the Roman empire, anything. Study it like a history student. For me that would mean lots of reading and note-taking, for a popular band with money it would mean hiring historians for lectures and chats, for student it might mean taking a class on the subject.

During the studying process, take notes on index cards or in computer form. Take the notes as if preparing for an exam, but pay special attention to the first-person perspective of the key characters involved. Be Nero, be Shakespeare, be Hitler for a time.

Then rearrange and rewrite the notes into outlines of songs. Tell some songs from the first person perspective, some from other perspectives, but always according to the actual history of events. There you go - a bit of hard work, but a formula for success.

Why is this powerful? Because history is meaningful. Because history repeats itself. Because power, lust, hatred, greed, envy, love, and all the emotions of humankind are wrapped up in historical stories. The tough part is coming up with the music and lyrics for the songs.

Some of the music can be derived from the music of the times and the lyrics can be derived from the notes. Aside from that its up to the artist's creativity.

What do you think of this technique?

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As usual Les, you've opened another very interesting and inspiring can of worms! Very Happy
I don't think it's necessarily a "formula for success", but it's a potentially very useful inspirational tool. There is the chance that listeners might feel they are being lectured to, which doesn't happen as much when you write a song based on your own history, as listeners assume that no-one knows your history like you do. This hasn't stopped many successful artists from writing about situations they weren't a part of. Most political bands, (Midnight Oil comes to mind) have done very well by re-telling important sociological commentaries to music. I think a "political" phase of song writing happens to most artists sooner or later, depending largely on how comfortable or interested they are in speaking only about themselves.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess there's nothing new under the sun, eh? Still, it's good to hear that it's a viable technique. I may give it a try once my creative energies rest up a bit.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From a review of Bob Dylan's Chronicles, Vol. 1,
Quote:
Dylan takes pains to outline the growth of his artistic conscience in this superb memoir. Writing in a language of cosmic hokum and street-smart phrasing, he lingers not on moments of success and celebrity, but on the crises of his intellectual development. He reconstructs, for example, an early moment in New York when he realized "that I would have to start believing in possibilities that I wouldn’t have allowed before, that I had been closing my creativity down to a very narrow, controllable scale...that things had become too familiar and I might have to disorient myself." And he recounts how, in that search for larger reach, he actually went to the public library’s microfilm archives to learn the rhetoric of Civil War newspapers.

The book makes it clear that a great deal of his feel for this society as it manifest in his early songs grew out of soaking in the period writings of the American Civil War.
(EDIT: a.k.a. War Between the States )

Looks like you are in good company Smile

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: