electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Sample and Hold patterns
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Sample and Hold patterns Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two experiments in one patch.

On the audio side, I am fiddling with the integration from the G2 math thread (the little that I actually understood). I wanted to do a wave shaper from triangle to sawtooth to solve the symmetry problem with the LFO sawtooth.
The idea is, the integrator and constant compare module, switch between the triangle and an inverted triangle whenever the slope changes. While testing with a software scope, the switch control signal looked very noisy so I inserted a lowpass filter and things looked better. When adjusting the lowpass cuttoff, the wave sort of morphs from the original triangle shape to the (double frequency) sawtooth. Not spectacular, but it is a sort of interesting effect in the audio range.

The second experiment goes back to the old analogue days. I never owned a decent step sequencer so I had to make do with patterns made by summing the outputs of dividers, and the humble sample and hold. The sample and hold typically is fed a signal from a noise module and clocked by an LFO which gives that cliché, random notes effect. In this patch, the noise is replaced with an audio frequency LFO (LfoC2) and the output is scale quantitized. The result is an ever-changing pattern whose character changes with the difference in frequency. Some extra FM of LfoC2 further randomises things. The rhythm is from a combination of modulated pulse and clocked random triggers.
2 variations

Tri2saw2.pch2
 Description:
Triangle-Sawtooth wave shaper with S+H sequencer

Download
 Filename:  Tri2saw2.pch2
 Filesize:  4.1 KB
 Downloaded:  1909 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those S/H modules make great sequencers. Better than the step sequencers, IMHO, because they aren't as boring. They always play something new. This setup of yours is an interesting variation on the theme I have never seen before. The addition of the occational glide is fabulous. Variation two cooks. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very clever patching.
i like the hihats parts how they play through the beat.

Indeed not as boring as stepsequencers.

My turn to be humbled Smile

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one, I'll have to study it a bit better, but meanwhile a little variation came out in the way the notes are selected.

I like the lead sound and didn't dare to touch that.

Jan.

Tri2saw2-bh.pch2
 Description:
a small variation on g2ian's Tri2Saw2 patch.

Download
 Filename:  Tri2saw2-bh.pch2
 Filesize:  4.34 KB
 Downloaded:  2530 Time(s)

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's excellent. There's some really intelligible melodies coming from your lfo s+h circuit. At times it sounds like there's a chord progression that the melody is playing to - very cool.
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan, good tip. A single scale can be a little monotonous.

I'm not a huge fan of this type of sound, sometimes the patch itself leads you.
Afro88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just noticed that outs 3/4 are being used for some of the lead sound- are we supposed to hear these outputs? Or were they simply 'turned off'?

It sounds kinda cool when that output is switched to 1/2...
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

afrokid wrote:
I just noticed that outs 3/4 are being used for some of the lead sound- are we supposed to hear these outputs? Or were they simply 'turned off'?

oops, I use OUT 2/3 for connection to my PC soundcard so I can see the waves on a software scope.
In this case, its just the direct triangle wave and it's tri-saw mangled version. (see picture, at this point the mangled wave is somewhere between triangle and double frequency sawtooth).

scope.jpg
 Description:
what wave looks like on scope
 Filesize:  11.72 KB
 Viewed:  37092 Time(s)

scope.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What softscope are you using. Is it a freebee?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is from the freeware WIN3.1 wavetools.zip package. Sorry, cant remember the url I downloaded it from (active links are rare I think).
It works well under 98 & XP and the package comes with other tools I havn't tried yet.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found one Russian site :

http://ra4ffq.narod.ru/download/WaveTools.zip

it seems to be the thing, but it's a _very_ slow link, something like a quarter of an hour for half a megabyte.

[Note : WaveTools is also available for download from http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3257.html ]

Jan.

Last edited by blue hell on Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of this type of sound, sometimes the patch itself leads you.

Yes it does, lead you I mean, me I mean.

I deconstructed things a bit more ... great potential once the verb is removed :-)

(I hope you don't mind me doing this to your patch, it was a popular activity once on the NM mailing list, this patch changing game, that I try to re-establish. It means that I got inspired by your patch even when things might have gone beyond recognition)

Jan.

some-1.prf2
 Description:
some combined variations on the tri2saw2 patch by g2ian

Download
 Filename:  some-1.prf2
 Filesize:  13.91 KB
 Downloaded:  2363 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great music to change servers by... Wink
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That WaveTools thing is excellent. Works great on my XP machine with the MOTU 828MKII. Think I'll post it on the How To forum. It may be faster for some people there...
ian-s

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a good game Jan, I like the beautifully tortured sounds in your version.

Don't know if it is allowed but I am posting a prf myself. This one also uses one of Tim's patches (modified to keep in the spirit of the game). I also nicked Robs 48K clock for the original differentiator (I am still thinking of other uses for this sub circuit, switch changes state depending on direction of slope, ummm). Also implemented a group of scalers for variation.

A chance to test uploading on the new server as well.

Edit - Uploading works well. Great work thanks Howard.

slowtb.prf2
 Description:
slow performance using tri2saw patch

Download
 Filename:  slowtb.prf2
 Filesize:  12.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1804 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this one is really beautiful, Ian. It has a lot of drama and suspense. It could be the soundtrack of a movie. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for somthing to snap and someone to scream. Shocked
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Don't know if it is allowed but I am posting a prf myself.

Sure you can, why not ? And it''s a good one I think.

Quote:
This one also uses one of Tim's patches

Funny I also had this StringCheesy patch in mind to do 'something' with, I like the liveliness of its sound.

The 48 KHz .. I saw it as well and I noted the unused inverter to be connected, and wondered why ... . It's used to get it to run at audio rate I suddenly realize (and I now know why certain experiments I did with this circuit failed). Aha !

I knew Rob wouldn't do a useless thing ...

Jan.
Afro88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ian, that's a fantastic performance! Like Mosc said, it could really be part of the soundtrack for a movie. Top notch.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how your chords work... not having much luck though Embarassed I've noticed that your bass notes sympathise with the chords as well. It's a very complex set up. Something to do with the mux?
ian-s

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words

The chords are sort of tacked on the side. The bass generator is the same as the original except that the S+H output is taken to three KeyQuant modules, these get fed into the eight in mux (using all eight inputs allows a crude influence over probability) The mux is switched by RndPattern1 clocked by ClkDiv2, fed from the master LFO (lfoC3).

ClkDiv2 also supplies RndTrig3 pulses that directly gate the two noteSend modules in the chord section. The output from the Bass mux at the time the gate goes high offsets the note values in the chord. The S+H here is redundant Embarassed , as the noteSend will effectively latch the value anyway.
The two notes are sent to SlotB which via the notezone module, passes then also to slotD for layering.

Not the result of careful planning, more like fiddle till it sounds ok, adding more modules as a last resort.

These type of sampled lfo patterns are by themselves, quite repetitive. This one is randomised by x-modulation and slow modulation applied to the sampled lfoC2, use the mixer above to vary the variation. I think this is one of the few practical applications of the aliasing effect.
Afro88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice. Thanks for the explanation Ian Very Happy I thought the chords were transposed with the bass... that's really quite a clever way of doing it. I'm not very experienced with programming noodles (as you can tell I program alot of dance based stuff) but every now and then a patch like this one comes along that inspires me to have another crack at creating a worthwhile noodle... perhaps this time?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are lots of dance based noodles.
Afro88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
There are lots of dance based noodles.

Hmmm.. I may have to dig around the G1 patch archives for a bit. With the new module reference list it shouldn't be too hard to convert some over to the G2. Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some more spin-off.

Jan.

04-015-001.prf2
 Description:
Another spin-off from g2ian's Tri2Saw [atch.

Download
 Filename:  04-015-001.prf2
 Filesize:  12.56 KB
 Downloaded:  2446 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa, this goes from being humorus to being tortuous. Shocked

Not one of my favorites, Jan. I'm sorry
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Whoa, this goes from being humorus to being tortuous.

Sorry to hear you don't like it ... it's better than the previous one though in my humble obsession. It has more diversity, and it fits my mood better.

I hope this mood will change though now that my summer holiday started, finally, today. I've been dragging myself for a while.

Draging myself job-wise, the presentation of the noodle radio went quite well last weekend. some liked it others didn't, but I got asked to do something like it for a picture exhibition by a painter who's work I liked. I'm happy with that.

Anyway, holiday .. tomorrow I'll be hanging around still till afternoon or so, after that I'll be out for about ten days. Just the usual trip when I need to be away, to Ireland

Jan.
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: