electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Voltage Controlled Quadrature Function Generator Page Is Up
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Voltage Controlled Quadrature Function Generator Page Is Up Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The page is done and can be viewed here:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id29.html

Come'n'get it Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott

goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Cool Scott. Good Read.
-justin
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with justin! Thanks for the nice description, Scott!

bruce
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh man, it never ends... gonna need a bigger house soon..
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay, more stuff to add to the build pile. Thanks!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, guys - I'm still two projects behind on the web pages, too Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahhhh whats next, I don't have time to build it, but I need to know hahaha
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks for this Scott, and to Thomas as well. Oh for some time to put soldering iron to parts!
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Thanks, guys - I'm still two projects behind on the web pages, too Very Happy

You mean three; I'm expecting to see a thorough write-up on lavatory repair too.

I was thinking while hiking through the woods yesterday that a person could put together a pretty nice mono system cheap and easy with the following:

- SN-Voice
- VCA-1 (coming soon from Scott)
- VCF-1 (coming soon from Scott)
- SuperController (coming soon from Fonik)

This would give a person a VCO, two VCAs, VCF, two LFOs, two noise sources, S/H and AR all in a very small package. Throw in a sparkling lavatory to boot, and away you go!

Thomas Henry
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Thomas, do you have a tool in the US for tightening up the hideous nylon washers underneath a lavatory seat? I tried to do this recently, and not having "plumbers fingers", nearly did myself an injury!
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:
Hey Thomas, do you have a tool in the US for tightening up the hideous nylon washers underneath a lavatory seat? I tried to do this recently, and not having "plumbers fingers", nearly did myself an injury!

I think I used an ordinary nut driver last time I did something like that. But I really need to refer you to Scott who is our resident lavatory repair man.

Wow, this thread is really going places! I can hardly wait for someone to Google "quadrature" and come up with toilets!

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should I embarass myself? Oh, what the hell.

My wife has been working quite diligently installing a toilet in the bathroom right off my study (Yes, my wife. Trust me, you wouldn't want to use any toilet I installed). I'll do doorknobs, faucets and even replace the inner workings of a toilet if forced to. But install one? I don't have the grapes, and she's too cheap to hire a plumber.

So, she installs the thing; dang, too high for the water to reach the tank. She's got to go to Wichita (again), ostensibly for a longer...pipe....thing that'll allow the water into the tank. This was yesterday when she got to that point. Of course, I'd been teasing her all along, attempting to "try it out" as she worked.

She goes to town today, I'm sitting in the computer room, mulling something or other over. The urge strikes me, so I go use the facilities, in the standard prescribed manner, still obsessed with whatever it was I was thinking about, which didn't have anything to do with which toilet I was using. I start to flush and..... Embarassed

I was suddenly presented with a dilemma much more immediate than whatever the hell it was I'd been thinking about.

Today I learned a new trick for emptying a toilet that's not hooked up to the system. Though I'll not go into further detail I will admit that I was glad it was only number one. And it wasn't the refrigerator or anything else not designed specifically for that activity.

That's OK, AFAIC, after what she put me through today getting the last batch of her purchases home, it all evened out (that's four hours of my life I'd like back). And, yes, the toilet flushes like a demon now.

Put that in your quadrature search and smoke it Laughing

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: Stephen, this model already had the seat installed, so my wife's fingers are still intact. It was just a matter of letting my wife do all the work, with me only helping to set it down, and, of course, performing the initial dry run. I do so love this toilet.

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

We're off to see Ritchie Blackmore's Night - MD primed!!!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built the THVCQFG(!) on perfboard.
on my 'scope all the outputs appear to be very nice - smooth 5V P to P.

but i'm wondering about the LEDs, the 270 LED shines big and bright, 0 and 180 pulse and not very bright, 90 does nothing, even though it is certainly getting a signal.

My question is - do all the LEDs have equal 'on' time, one fades out as the next turns on?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes- the LEDs should light up evenly across the row in time with the waveforms - the light smoothly fades across the row. I'll see if I can figure out what would cause that.

Edit: A quick test to make sure it's not an LED problem would be to connec from each outputs through an led to ground - it's the same path the LEDs take in the circuit (IE, from the output of an op amp stage, through 1K - in this case the output resistor - to ground).

Take care,
Scott

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott
thanks for your reply
i seem to have found the problem -
experimented with different LEDs and found ones with lower turn-on voltage worked ok.
i had used new blue LEDs (batch of 200 off ebay) which seem to need well over 2V to turn on. At higher frequencies they just don't get a chance to glow, at low freq just a quick pulse.
changed my LEDs and i am now the proud owner of a fully funky THVCQFG (love that name) Smile
- which i might add is perfect for driving the Korg resonator clone
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad you got it figured out so quickly - I don't think I would have ever thought of that. Very Happy

Take care,
Scott

Luka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey crew

I am designing the panel for my thQFG and i have heaps of the panel left for something else.
What would be a good match up for the QFG?

I was thinking i could fit it in with some waveshapers to allow for multi-waveshape quads,. sine would be nice...
perhaps a simple stereo panner?

ive had the panel 1/2 designed for months, and some ideas would be great

im not sure how im going to use this module yet.
what are you all doing with it most?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
The Alison Project

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ian Fritz's Quadrature Sine Oscillator / Chaos Generator

http://bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/F%20ChaQuO.html
http://bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/ChaQuO%20PCB.html

www.myspace.com/theyakuzacowboys
Luka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah cool, always up for some chaos Smile

thanks ap

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone offer a proven circuit for a barberpole phaser using such a quadrature thing?
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: