electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Pure Data on Nokia N810 - usb Midi out?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
geg3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Pure Data on Nokia N810 - usb Midi out? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello! this is sort of a long shot being as there are only 16 threads in this forum this year so far and that both 'n810' and 'nokia' pull up exactly zero threads on the entire forum, but HERE GOES!

im looking to buy a Nokia N810 handheld internet tablet. it runs a debian based OS, which remarkably someone has made a version of Pure Data for! i love using puredata to create midi for hardware. but! i have opted to not own a car, and i pretty much bike everywhere. I'm looking to condense my live electronic music setup down from a carload to a backpackload. i'll most likely be investing in a nord g2 and a mini mixer (62 keys/16 channels just dont fit in my pack!). the computer is a HUGE item for me. too huge. i dont use it to make any sounds, just to send midi.

the n810 is not a default usb host. it can easily be switched to be a host, but mostly for typing keyboards. i have a Midisport 2x2 usb midi box, which i love. there are linux (even debian specific) drivers for the midisport, but i cannot find a single report of anyone even trying to get midi data out of the n810. no successes, no failures. i am wary of being a pioneer.

so my question is: does anyone have any experiences that even sort of relate to my situation? is there even a small chance the debian drivers will work on maemo (the n810 OS)? is there a chance i could tweek them to work, and if so, what is the skill level?

im willing to put a decent amount of effort into making this work. the n810 is the best option ive been able to find. the idea of touring on bike/bus with just 1 backpack for both gear AND clothes, is amazing.

ive got some experience with linux (red hat) but not enough. im a pretty good learner, so if i need to learn to code a bit, i can do that - im at least decent enough @ figuring out languages to make a fully functional multitrack recording suite in PD with only the basic extentions.

so what do you think?

nokia n180: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810
maemo: http://maemo.org/
Pure Data for maemo: http://gige.xdv.org/pda/
Midisport 2x2 on Debian: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/midisport-firmware

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a great project to me.

Go for it.
geg3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay so after some more research, i just bought an Asus Eee PC 900. micro laptop the size of 1.5cds, full scale linux install by default, though it runs xp pro well if need be. full usb support, so the midi thing is no thing at all! and best of all, it cost exactly the same as the nokia! $399 out the door. amazing technology these days.

and on the other side of things, someone is swinging by tonight to buy my Ampeg 8x10. goodbye refridgerator, hello pocket workstation!

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They are nice little machines, amazing for $399 they are over $600 in the UK.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I am just wondering how this project is progressing?

Cheers

Andy
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Jump to: