electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS 32 - Infinite Melody and Infinite Questions
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: CGS 32 - Infinite Melody and Infinite Questions
Subject description: The Clock of The Long Now Project
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Running the risk of having more or less double posted, here it goes...

I have built a CGS 66 Power Supply and am feeding it with a 36 volt 2 amp center tapped transformer (which by the way weights about 2 pounds!) and am satisfactorily obtaining +/- 18 volts from it.

I also have a semi-populated CGS 32 (Infinite Melody). My initial idea is to build something that may generate random musical notes or sounds.

I know that by itself the Infinite Melody (IM from now on) it is not going to make a single sound by itself but I have an almost finished SN-Voice which will be in charge at least initially to to provide sounds (I hope).

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

I the suppose that for example Ken's CGS 31 (Digital Noise) would be appropiate.

Then it also seems that the CGS 41 (Diatonic Converter) is like the IM's brother since they appear wired together at Ken's site. Thus the Diatonic Converter's output is what would be fed into the SN-Voice. Of course, the SN-Voice is sort of limited in its capabilities but should be fine to begin with.

I would maybe later add a ring modulator, a VCO, a VCF and an LFO.

CGS 19 (Chime Simulator) seems to be imperative...

Any suggestions on what might be nice additions to this project?

Does what I have said make any sense?

I also have an unbuilt Klee with its parts kit but I'm not sure if it would be of any help here.

You might ask yourself what is it exactly what I'm looking for... I suggest you visit http://www.longnow.org/shop/prints-cds/bells-cd.php which is a description of Brian Eno's CD called "January 07003 | Bell Studies for The Clock of The Long Now" which is exactly what I would like to (or at least try) to achieve or imitate.

Apparently, according to Amazon,the CD has been "discontinued by the manufacturer" and is very hard to find but if visit the above mentioned link it seems to be available the Foundation for THe Long Now in the USA and at Brian Enos shop (Enoshop) at http://www.enoshop.co.uk/ in the UK.

Anyway, if you see it jump at it! You can visit Amazon and search for the title and read the comments. They explain it better than I can. Synthesized Bells have never sounded better!

Any orientation from you gentlemen would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TRON
Tronato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I know you are all busy watching the Olimpic Games which I find have been fantastic up to now and hope they continue like that.

I just need a "little help from my friends" regarding which modules I should buy.

Up to now I'm only sure about:

CGS 19 (Chime Simulator)
CGS 31 (Digital Noise)
CGS 41 (Diatonic Converter)

As mentioned before, I already have CGS 32 (Infinite Melody)

Thank you all and have a nice Olympic weekend!

TRON
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tron.

A ring modulator would be a good thing to have around if you're into bells. FM of one VCO by another is also cool. Don't forget some envelope generators to shape the bells' decays...

just my 2 pence worth....

cheers,
Dave
Tronato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Good suggestions Dave, thanks.

One of the things I wanted to try to do was make it an all CGS project if possible... but at a first glance at Ken's page:
1- CGS RR (Real Ring Modulator is apparntly not available
2- I see nothing in his page that by the name might suggest to be an Envelope Generator...

Hmmm I guess it will not be possible to make it all a CGS project...

However, I do see such modules at Ray Wilson's page... just wondering... in any case for the time being I think Ill get a hold of the Digital Noise and the Diatonic Converter and when those are ready and working with my SN-Voice I'll worry about the bells and the modules needed for them.

I'll wait a while and see if I get some feedback from any of the Forum members or from Ken to see if this is a good plan.

Thanks!

TRON

Thanks!

TRON
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tronato wrote:

2- I see nothing in his page that by the name might suggest to be an Envelope Generator...

Try the CGS39 Quad Logic Gate with a 4030 or 4070 chip to get an XOR function - this is a crude ring modulator (actually 4 crude ring modulators), crude enough for the Korg MS20 even.
Also CGS54 XOR/XNOR will also be ring-moddish and being all op-amp and diodes, will be different to the quad logic gate.

Also consider CGS57 Bi-N-Tic filter, you will get some good tones out of it, if you buffer the spare outputs on the 4024 and bring them to the panel, you will have a whole set of harmonically related square waves to feed your ring mods...err XOR gates.

As for an EG, I would love to see a CGS EG too....maybe we just need to give Ken a nudge Wink
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
Tronato wrote:

Try the CGS39 Quad Logic Gate with a 4030 or 4070 chip to get an XOR function - this is a crude ring modulator (actually 4 crude ring modulators), crude enough for the Korg MS20 even.
Also CGS54 XOR/XNOR will also be ring-moddish and being all op-amp and diodes, will be different to the quad logic gate.

Crude enough for the Arp Odyssey(Solus?) as well, as displayed here, on Marc Verbo's DIY site.

Tronato wrote:

Take a look at this post, in the DIY sub-forum of a current electro-music DIY group-buy for a very CGS style, and very sophisticated + unique envelope generator:

"Buchla 281 Clone Project- taking PCB orders until 8/20.. "
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: