electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Bass++ Drum Synth Voice
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Bass++ Drum Synth Voice
Subject description: Scott, you holdin'out on us?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just noticed this on Scott Stite's website. It looks like a re-do of the UD-1 without the 566.
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id28.html

You were going to tell us about this, weren't you Scott?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I was intending on it. I was waiting on a review of the text by TH, but the school year's started, and he's typically snowed under (to pardon a Minnesota-biased pun).
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great sample, Scott. Was that really only the Bass++? No other voices?
It does a lot then...
Well, I have loads of LM13700's that I've had little use for, so this looks like a must build - like, oh...the MPS, another XR-VCO, etc.

A very exhausting time to DIY... Very Happy

C

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No - the Bass++ was only providing the drums in the sample. I should clarify that on the page. Very Happy

Cheerios,
Scott

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Bass++ Drum Synth Voice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neato burrito! Also, it looks like a very simple circuit - easy to knock out a few on perfboard and play around. Thanks Scott and Thomas!

Tim (drum and drummer) Servo
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Agreed! Thank you greatly Thomas and Scott! Very Happy

I'd loved the UD-1 that I'd built in the mid 90's. The Bass++ though! Shocked This is a definite must for at LEAST 1 of them to be built!!

Now - to delay everything else and build 1 right away, or ...... Very Happy Laughing
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Say, what's the CV range for that VCO? Are negative voltages OK?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CV Range for the VCO is +/-5V (10Vp-p) like all of other Thomas' goodies (he likes to stick to the Electronotes standard).
slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a great sample on your site Scott. I'd like about 10 of these to start my Taiko drum ensemble
George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You were going to tell us about this, weren't you Scott?

Oh no ............ better sell my remaining UD-1's kits fast before they all find out Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I ilke the LM13700 implimentation on this circuit !!! Very cool Cool

Bill
jean-louise

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: hello and question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello!

this seems to be a very fine place!

i have built the bass++ successfully and i am delighted with its sound - it is such a powerful little circuit. it works great though i am using only +-9V and a lm13600 instead of the 13700 (i'll try replacing that when i order the parts for the mps i am going to build next).

one thing i really like to try is to incorporate the bass++ and the mps into my acoustic drumset and i have made two piezo trigger pads for the purpose.

it worked quite well without any additional electronics, but the impact sound suffered some kind of multitriggering. so then i tried the drum trigger from the mfos-website and that made things far better, but on some occasions there still is multitriggering going on. is there something i could do about it? e.g. add additional 10m resistors to the trigger board to reduce voltage? or reduce sensitivity of the input by putting in a bigger pot? or could it be a mechanical problem within the pads?

an help is very appreciated..

thanks to you all, - just reading through some topics of the diy subforum has already been giving me good advice and insight.
oh and if you think this is not the right place for my question i could repost it in the mfos section or you just move it over there or any other place you think it is appropriate for.

cheers
jan
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Jan
jean-louise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: hello and question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jean-louise wrote:

thanks to you all, - just reading through some topics of the diy subforum has already been giving me good advice and insight.

cheers
jan

... but has not solved the problem described above.
just to avoid misunderstanding Embarassed
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
but has not solved the problem described above.
just to avoid misunderstanding

Instead of using a larger pot, just try a 10K in place of the 20K for R17. Much cheaper alternative. Wink This will get the comparator to trigger on more of the signal rather then the "hash". The lower resistor value will allow you to adjust a higher trigger threshold. What is the source of your trigger input? That may be your problem. Perhaps the input comparator needs a bit of hysteresis? Let us know what you encounter with the resistor change ....

Bill
jean-louise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
try a 10K in place of the 20K for R17. Much cheaper alternative. Wink This will get the comparator to trigger on more of the signal rather then the "hash".

ah yes, that makes sense to me. cheap is good! Smile

Quote:
What is the source of your trigger input? That may be your problem.

i am using a standart piezo disc epoxied to a rather thin aluminium plate. it sits between two sheets of mouse pad and these are glue on a piece of wood. so maybe there's some vibration going on that isn't damped by the mouse pad..

Quote:
Perhaps the input comparator needs a bit of hysteresis?

i am quite new to electronics, (never thought i would pick up a soldering iron), so there are a lot of concepts i don't really know about.. but as i understand it, the hysteresis would be achieved by a schmitt trigger or something like that?

i'll try the 10k resistor after work and post the result here.

thanks for your help! Very Happy
& greetings
jan
jean-louise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aha!
i reread the description of ray wilson's drum trigger circuit and there seem to be two possibilities.

first i could change the resistor R5 = 2M to e.g. 1M. then i'd get a shorter decay. but that will shorten the cv decay too, i think, and if it stops the multitriggering i don't know.

second, i understand that the last opamp-..er..stage(?) acts as a comparator and it's that stage that actually forms the trigger pulse. i read that in order to add hysteresis to an opamp comparator, one sends the output back into the noninverting input ("+") through a resistor, thus creating a positive feedback loop.

would that be the right direction to go? also what values should i try for that additional resistor? and should the feedback loop be inserted before or after that last diode (D3)?

cheers
jan

EDIT: i think i'll just try it and see what happens - and maybe do some more reading before as i am a little afraid to break something. but answers are still very welcome!
j
jean-louise

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i changed the resistor R17 to 10K. i also added switchable hysteresis to the input comparator of the bass++ by connecting pin 1 and pin 3 of the opamp through a 4.7M resistor. --and: now it's working nearly perfectly! Smile
multitriggering now only occurs (and only sometimes) when i hit the pad quite fast or when i play it with fingers instead of sticks. you can hear that in the middle of the mp3-demo before it goes into the more drumbeat-like section.

so i guess it's very much a mechanical problem of the pad that i could smooth a little with these modifications.
State Machine, Blue Hell and EdisonRex, thank you for your helpful suggestions!
now i'm going to go to our rehearsal room and try it out with the bassdrum trigger pedal a little LOUDER. Great great great!
and then les trucs are playing this evening only a cat jump away, this seems to be a good day!
here's a picture of the bass++, mfos drumtrigger and the trigger pad.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
screwdrivers make nice sticks.. Wink here's the big size:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3600/3490877427_ba280169f4_b.jpg
cheers brosnan
jan

bassplusplusdemo2.mp3
 Description:
little demo of bass plus plus played with diy drumpad through mfos drumtrigger. mono, i think, & first part is clipping a little bit.

Download
 Filename:  bassplusplusdemo2.mp3
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Downloaded:  1032 Time(s)

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan

Oh, great news !! Cool Glad that's working now and the recording proves that Wink Your choice of feedback resistor is good. If you want to bit more hysteresis, just change it to about 2.2M just eradicate ALL bounce. Looks like the lessening of the circuits sensitivity did the trick. Cool

This success will lead to more projects I am sure and welcome the problems. If not for these isues you had, you may not have learned about hysteresis and how sensitivity effects operation of your circuit in this application.

Welcome to DIY and nice job man !!!

Bill
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: