electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla sound
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Buchla sound
Subject description: The Music Easel
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-zW2XtY2c&feature=related

How to mimic this typical sound ?
it heavily relies on buchla vco, a lot of FM is involved or is it more some sort of vactrol filtering ? or is it ringmodulation overdose ?

The Music Easel

Quote:
The Music Easel contains many of the elements commonly used to generate and process sound: a keyboard, sequencer, pulser, preamplifier, envelope detector and balanced modulator; oscillators, gates, envelope generators and filters; facilities for mixing, monitoring and reverberating.

Easel's vco are 259 style ?
Quote:
It maintains many of the design philosophies and functional characteristics of its predecessors, the 100 series Modular Electronic Music System and the 200 series Electric Music Box.
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 158 and 258 dual oscillators are the largest-sounding of the vintage batch. The 259 and Easel aren't as full and "vintage", although they certainly have their own thing (but are second-choice in my book for the reasons given).

Search Charles Cohen, who has done amazing, musical things with the Easel.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've once saw the HD movie with circuit-bending style on the cartridge Smile
cbm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't used an Easel for quite a while, but it's oscillator certainly in the same family as the later 259 and current 261e. The Easel oscillator is more or less the father to the 259 and grandfather to the 261e.

I would say that the sound in the clip relied heavily on the low pass gate, some FM, and some timbre mod.

It's also worth noting that the four Random voltage outputs are uncorrelated, so that every pulse into the Random section generates four random voltages, so that each note can have a variety of parameters randomized independently.

As far as the 259 & Easel oscillators not being as "vintage", I think that the word vintage starts to loose its meaning if the 1972 Music Easel isn't considered vintage.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Buchla uncorrelated random voltage function is grand. I breadboarded it and recorded it slapping around some other breadboarded Buchla stuff (LPG and/or 291 IIRC). I remember torturing Romeo Fahl with that sample...

Anyway, I re-drew the schematic as a stand-alone function (extricated from the Easel's program switching) and posted it in this thread:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-26928-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Cheers,
Scott

Peake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
As far as the 259 & Easel oscillators not being as "vintage", I think that the word vintage starts to loose its meaning if the 1972 Music Easel isn't considered vintage.

There's "vintage" huge and lush and out-of-control (Moog, EMS, etc.), "vintage" huge and lush (early Buchla, early Oberheim) and "vintage" controlled and tight yet detailed and interesting in its own right, just not huge and out-of-control lively (early Roland, later Buchla).

Does that make any sense? That's a simplified delineation as I've experienced these instruments across the years. It simply depends upon what makes you happiest.

Was the Easel 1972? The 258c schematics say 1973, IIRC. Good for him to have so many oscillator choices, to provide so many different sonic colors (the 292 timbral gate appears in many Buchla instruments, but the oscillators changed over time).
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
There's "vintage" huge and lush and out-of-control (Moog, EMS, etc.), "vintage" huge and lush (early Buchla, early Oberheim) and "vintage" controlled and tight yet detailed and interesting in its own right, just not huge and out-of-control lively (early Roland, later Buchla).

Well, if I was solving this sentence like I would an equation, the first thing I would do would be to factor out the "vintage." Smile

Quote:
Was the Easel 1972?

In Don's forward to Allen Strange's Programming & Metaprogramming manual, dated 1974, Don says "Two years ago, we decided it was time to stop dreaming about and actualize a new electronic musical instrument."

The Buchla web site also lists 1972 as the year of the Easel, but the schemos floating around are dated 1973, so I'm not sure what to think. http://www.buchla.com/historical/index.html

Quote:
The 258c schematics say 1973, IIRC. Good for him to have so many oscillator choices, to provide so many different sonic colors (the 292 timbral gate appears in many Buchla instruments, but the oscillators changed over time).

Yeah, the Low Pass Gate has been a constant in the Buchla world for a long time.

All the Buchla oscillators have been at least pretty interesting, IMO. It's really wonderful that he has persevered in producing oscillators that push the envelope, and can get pushed by envelopes themselves, in many different ways Smile

funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(cool topic Very Happy )
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't it indeed odd how Buchla pretty much limited himself to the Spectral Gate and the 291 bandpass design, for all those years, but constantly came up with new and exciting ideas in oscillator design and timbre? He didn't throw a dozen filter types at a single type of oscillator...and no one has come close to matching his work, to this day, 40 years later. Items such as the AFG and the new Cwejman oscillator are moving forward into new waveshaping territory, which is so important...
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I realise Buchla systems don't allow CV to be processed through VCA.

Both 292 LPG and 110 GATE have a cap at signal input (which means AC coupled ?)

What can be cool with noise/S&H and ramdon things is not to control a parameter directly (i.e. vco cv input), but to apply periodic control (lfo, adsr) processed with a randomly-controlled vca...
cbm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:
I realise Buchla systems don't allow CV to be processed through VCA.

True, but you can achieve this using either the 256e or the older 257 control voltage processors. They each allow the level of one CV to adjusted with a second CV (among other options.)

funkyfarm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:

True, but you can achieve this using either the 256e or the older 257

So now I know I want a 200(e) system Very Happy

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/buchla/256e.html

"transfer function"...amazing...
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
"vintage" controlled and tight yet detailed and interesting in its own right, just not huge and out-of-control lively (early Roland, later Buchla).

Does that make any sense?

No!,early roland is absolutely not detailed and tight lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: