electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry Keyboard & sMs Integrated Keyboard Controller
Page 7 of 8 [182 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
drewm1980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Neat project! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello-

Looks like a really cool project! I look forward to the schematics and figuring out how you're doing velocity sensing, as it looks like you're not just doing a time difference. Is there another page where info is being consolidated, or is everything going to go up sequentially on the forum?I'm also working on a project like this, at diykeyboard.org. I'm not nearly as far along as you guys, so the site is very much a work in progress.

I'm hoping to shoe-horn an 88 key velocity sensitive key scanner onto an atmega168 plus a few logic family chips. I'm currently trying to figure out a switch matrix scheme that will work with my uc; looks like I might have to re-purpose some ADC's. I only recently got into microcontrollers, so the FPGA stuff is still a little magical to me.

Cheers,
Drew
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drew, Scott, Elektro80 and others,

Just a very quick note on the "Thomas Henry" Keyboard....
Bill/State Machine and I have been cranking on this big time since mid-autumn and are extremely close to releasing. We've gone way beyond the initial scope of the project (my corporate higher-ups would call this project creep) and this thing is way more than a clone of Thomas's keyboard controller. Bill will release this at his discretion as he's the project boss. Right now, he's got his hands full with his job and a E-M performance at the end of the month.

The design is quite a bit different from what Drew is attempting so there should be no overlap.

Now that's all I'm going to say as I don't want to steal Bill's thunder, 'cause you are all gonna love this!!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the Keyboard controller that we worked on was inspired by the Thomas Henry design but it is not the Thomas Henry design. The new controller is called the "Integrated Keyboard Controller" or IKC. It can be directly interfaced to all Fatar keybeds up to 5 octaves. The keybeds are now available here in the US and are distributed by Analog Haven.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/mke/

The IKC can be the heart of any DIY analog/digital keyboard controller project and will be expandable. I saw the need for this because I did not see much DIY work being done on building your own custom MASTER keyboards. It will be announced soon on the Microcontrollers and Programmable logic subforum. Currently I have over 70 PC Boards getting manufactured right now and will arrive on April 25, 2008. The IKC will also come paired with a MIDI channel changer & Digital display PCB that will interface to the IKC. A daughter board is also planned to add many MIDI control functions.

Stay tuned and keep your eyes on the forum Wink

Bill
philpeery

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, State Machine. I was just wondering if there was an update on the IKC! This would fit into my plans for several projects very nicely! I've been thinking about ordering a couple of the Fatar keybeds from AH, but wanted to see what the status of the project was, and if there was an estimate on PCB/processor cost would be. Any details would be much appreciated!

Phil
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Phil,

The first full "final" production board has just been constructed and I am in the phase of writing the technical and builders manual. I have not considered all the pricing but will come up with those numbers soon.

I have just received a 5 octave Fatar keyboard from "Analog Haven" and it is gorgeous. Really a nice keyboard and nicely constructed. Analog Haven has them ready to ship in 2. 3, 4, and 5 octave models and are priced from $40.00 to $125.00. Just in time for the IKC ...... Very Happy

http://www.analoguehaven.com/

I have attached the "features" documentation to give you a look at the final version of the IKC ............

Private mail me about your projects, I want to know more about them as I may want to propose something thats on my mind here Wink

Bill

Keyboard Controller Features.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Keyboard Controller Features.pdf
 Filesize:  213.18 KB
 Downloaded:  983 Time(s)

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow. that's my project of the year! it will be the first component of the performance synth i am planning to build. GREAT.
(the 3oct fatar keyboard is already sits waiting on my workbench...)

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
wow. that's my project of the year! it will be the first component of the performance synth i am planning to build. GREAT.
(the 3oct fatar keyboard is already sits waiting on my workbench...)

Great Matthias Very Happy Thats sounds good to me. I will hope that more folks will want to DIY their performance or studio master keyboards. I really like those Fatar keyboards and they are now easily available here in the US.

Anyhow, hang on just a bit longer. Documentation is a necessary evil.

Wink

Bill
philpeery

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

PM just sent! Now I gotta make room for a couple more projects!

Phil
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phil, Fonik and all,

As the primary tester of the prototypes, I'd just like to let you know this is one sweet keyboard. If all it did was analog, I would be 100% satisfied. The midi out just puts it over the top. There are some nice features that make the controller an extra CV processing module as well. Plus the ability to play a midi synth as a mono synthesizer is just way cool. You're really gonna love it! Now if I could just find the time to finish my completed unit!
ringer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Nice work, congrats. Would be possible to have more than one set of cv gate outputs and the ability to output 1.2 v/oct?

Cheers,
R.
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ringer,

My unit has 3 CV outs, 2 gates and 2 triggers as my usual voicing is driving 2 VCO's, a VCF and 2 ADSR's. You just need to wire extra jacks in parallel....there's no magic to it. You're basically creating little multiples.

Watch the side panel space though! Mine's like 150mm X 267mm and I'll be pressed to squeeze in extra controls when the expansion feature midi daughtercard becomes available.

As for scaling to 1.2V, I'm sure that's possible as the scaling is set with a trimmer and 1.0V/Oct is somewhere in the middle of the range.
ringer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Antman,

Thanks for the response. I will mult the 1 v/oct and trim the second output for 1.2 v/oct. My bad, I should explained it a little better, I meant more voices. Ultimately 6 voices would be nice, if not I put a 4 voice midi2cv unit on board.

Regards,
R.
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ringer,

sorry no, this is a classic monophonic synth keyboard
johans121

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any news on this keyboard?

I think I want to build one
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Johans,

It's pretty close to being released. Schematics, pcb artwork, BOM, etc are done along with some nice add-on boards from State Machine. Bill is currently writing up the fairly detailed, (and therefore lengthy), documentation and I would guess as soon as that's done, it should be ready to release.

Bill: correct me if you have anything further

I'm currently finishing off the first complete unit in my workshop. Last night I was finishing the control panel. I just need to mount the control panel components and wire it up. I've been collecting photos of my work and sound samples of my testing, so there will be lots of audio-visuals when we finish. I really like being able to play my polyphonic midi modules in a mono-synth mode. I've had a lot of fun playing one of my Emu Proteus modules in parallel with my TH SN-Voices and being able to do those neat 1 finger trills.
johans121

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
It's pretty close to being released. Schematics, pcb artwork, BOM, etc are done along with some nice add-on boards from State Machine. Bill is currently writing up the fairly detailed, (and therefore lengthy), documentation and I would guess as soon as that's done, it should be ready to release.

Very cool!!

I am very excited about this project!

I want to build it into a "portable modular" design. Portable is in quotes because my modular is in MOTM format Embarassed

Count me in!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill: correct me if you have anything further

Dan,

You got it pretty well covered there my friend Wink Between this, writing new music for Electro, and my work demands, it's a handful. In addition to house hunting Shocked

I have seen some preliminary pictures of Dan's keyboard and must say, it will be a nice addition to his studio.

The actual thread for the "Integrated Keyboard Controller" will appear in the "Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic" sub forum but a link will be placed in this thread so nobody will miss the project.

The project documentation will be available for all to build this. The code will also be available for anyone to download and program their CPLD. I will, however, be offering printed circuit cards and parts kits for the project if anyone wishes to purchase these items.

Thanks all,
Bill
johans121

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

The actual thread for the "Integrated Keyboard Controller" will appear in the "Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic" sub forum but a link will be placed in this thread so nobody will miss the project.

The project documentation will be available for all to build this. The code will also be available for anyone to download and program their CPLD. I will, however, be offering printed circuit cards and parts kits for the project if anyone wishes to purchase these items.

Thanks all,
Bill

Any new developments on this exciting project?
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

johans,

State Machine is doing a lot of background work prior to releasing. It's documented up the ying yang from basic assy to advanced background. You can read until your eyes glaze over..but it will be very newbie friendly. Also, he's preparing quite a few add-on boards to make things easier for newbies to assemble this thing.

I don't want to give away too much at this point, but here's a spoiler for you:

DSCF1747.JPG
 Description:
ARP 2600 keyboard for cheap? No thanks...I got THIS!
 Filesize:  1007.48 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSCF1747.JPG

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry Keyboard Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow... Nice! Shocked

That's truly a thing of beauty. Everyone involved can really be proud of that one.

Very Happy

Tim (truly a thing of booty) Servo
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh man, that photo just lit a fire!!! Consider my interest in investing in a ridiculously huge keyboard officially rekindled. Maybe add a certain ribbon controller to mine for a certain je ne sais quois...
-justin
johans121

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
johans... ...I don't want to give away too much at this point, but here's a spoiler for you:

umm.... all I can really say is HOLY SH!Ti

And I fully echo what goodrevdoc said about the ribbon controller.......

WOW!

I can't wait guys!!! Excellent work! (assuming it works half as well as it looks)
philpeery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hear, hear! This looks great, antman did a top notch job! I will definitely be building 3 and maybe a 4th of this one! A 4 octave keybed seems to be the sweet spot to me, although for my studio keyboard, I am thinking 5 octaves. Can't wait, this will be a great one to build!

Phil
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is one amazingly beautiful keyboard. Shocked

That's what the world needs now, seriously.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I designed a cable breakout adapter board that creates a very easy interface to the beautiful FATAR keyboards. It transitions from the keyboaard connectors (AMP Micromatch) to the IKC connectors (Molex KK style-Inlines). I successfully interfaced my "brandy new" 5 octave keyboard from Analog Haven ($125.00 + Shipping) to the IKC controller and it works like a charm !!! I have attained a complete stock of PC boards for the IKC, Completed and tested MCC boards, and have parts kits also. I will also be making a batch of adapter boards I mentioned above.

Also, I believe that Scott's Ribbon controller will make a beautiful compliment to this project. You will then have MIDI, Analog CV, with all kinds of modulation sources. You will then be able to express your music with both a standard keyboard AND versatile ribbon controller Wink

I will FINALLY (Sorry Guys) transition this thread to the "Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic" sub-forum. I will announce the transfer in this thread, then lock it. The announcement will be made "Sticky" on top of that subforum. Then we can find out who wants to build "master" keyboards for their studios or "gig-rigs" ........ Very Happy

I have attached pictures of adapter board that connects the IKC and the fatar keyboard.

Dan and I are now doing preliminaries on the expansion module that will add MIDI machine control and MIDI controllers (CC's). Talks have been going on behind the scenes by Scott Stites and I about a possible "Appendage" interface to the IKC expansion board that will quantize it and send it's output over MIDI .......... Cool

Thanks,
Bill

DSC01321.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  939.1 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

DSC01321.JPG

DSC01322.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Viewed:  326 Time(s)

DSC01322.JPG

DSC01325.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  933.26 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)

DSC01325.JPG

DSC01334.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

DSC01334.JPG

DSC01335.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

DSC01335.JPG

Page 7 of 8 [182 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: