electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Did this project ever fly?

I'm wondering what happened...

TRON
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Follow through on those other threads. It flew. Contact Scott er...Magic Smoke to see if there are any more available.
Tronato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Don't get me wrong... maybe I didn't express myself correctly... I purchased a PCB for this from Magic Smoke and haven't populated it yet.... it's just that I never read anything else about it...

Thanks!

TRON
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tron,

Yes, I've heard a few comments from people who've built the 566 VCO. Me personally, I really like the sound of mine. I posted some sound samples here on E-M, and I can point you to them if you haven't heard them already. Also, Dave Brown did a extremely nice build at
http://modularsynthesis.com/magicsmoke/566/566.htm

I've also heard some nice comments from Dave Wright and a few others, but I haven't heard any sound samples. If I get any, I'll be sure to pass them along here.

Tim (still working on that pesky LFO and another TH project) Servo
eyehue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished this last week and find it to be a great VCO unlike any other I've used. It's the fifth and final VCO in my frac set-up. My favorite features on this module are the Noise source and the Division outputs. A great design with a huge variety of capabilities on its own. BTW, it's been sounding even better thru the Mankato.

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Eye,

Thanks for the comments. I'd love to hear it if you had a Sheboygan (566 VCO) / Mankato sample. I'll have to work up another module with eight outputs now. Wink I agree though, I like the noise modulation and the divided outputs, and it's a VCO that can be nice and smooth with the sine or tri outs, or raspy with the pulse and divided outs. I'm just the guy who beat everything onto a PCB though. Thomas Henry is the one who came up with all the nifty circuits in the first place.

Tim (still working on the "Cucamonga") Servo
eyehue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try to post something soon. While we're on the subject, I forgot to mention how well done the Magic Smoke PCBs are and that the documentation is well written, concise and helpful. So, thanks for the great work! And the more outputs, the better! Trying to make this frac modular do as much as possible in a small space, modules like the Mankato and Sheboygan really have a lot of power in a small space. Thanks for maximizing the capabilities.
Tronato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
After a couple of months dealing with my father's unexpected passing away in Venezuela, I'm returning home to the USA next week and was wondering about the samples mentioned above...
Would it be possible to post some of them by whoever has built them...
I have the PCB so it will most probably be my next project.

Thanks!

TRON
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FYI, there's someone on eBay selling a set of ten metal can LM566 chips for about $40. These are the same chip Dave Brown used in his TH-101 566 VCO build, and they work just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10PCS-VOLTAGE-CONTROLLED-OSCILLATOR-LM566-CH-NE566_W0QQitemZ230159069368QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4663QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

There's also another place that's trying to sell 566s for $42 each! Don't think he's going to move too many at that price. Laughing

Tim (metal can) Servo
Tronato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Any of the promised samples available yet?

I'm curious if anybody succesfully built this VCO...

Thanks!

TRON
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tron,

Have you heard the samples at
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-18270-25.html

There are five short samples I made about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the page.

Tim (short sample) Servo
Appliancide*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thomas Henry's 566 Magic Smoke PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
FYI, there's someone on eBay selling a set of ten metal can LM566 chips for about $40. These are the same chip Dave Brown used in his TH-101 566 VCO build, and they work just fine.

There's also another place that's trying to sell 566s for $42 each! Don't think he's going to move too many at that price. Laughing

Tim (metal can) Servo

There's more of those 10 packs of the cans on ebay right now.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: