electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Problem with my Cynare
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Problem with my Cynare
Subject description: Please help
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have my Cynare all wired up now, and everything appears to be working well except for the filter.

I get no response from the freq knoq, and little to nothing from the Res and Env knobs.

I have headers on the various filter inputs (instead of a switch between them): it's passing the audio, and I can hear a clear difference between the High Pass and Low Pass, but there's no sweep or active filtering, and no res.

I've looked at my chip and diode orientations, examined my solder joints, and checked my pot wiring, and everything looks ok. There's not much here that could be going wrong, right? The problem is somewhere in the VCF-- but I can't find it.

Any suggestions?
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are your chips socketed? try a new chip or two.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Are your chips socketed? try a new chip or two.

I tried this, thanks. I even replaced the TL071 in the VCF a couples to no avail.

I also replaced the 2907. Maybe I should do the other 2222 trannies?

Does anyone have any basic suggestions of where I might start checking-- I have a DMM. This is very frustrating indeed.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've switched out all of the ICs and transistors. Nothing. I thought it may have been the exponetial convertor 2222s because it sounds like it's just the CV input that's not working.

The envelope works with the VCA, so the Env and the VCA work.
The sound sources all work.
The filter gives different response at each input. I can hear a clear difference between high pass and low pass.
The res pot does alter the sound a little.

But theres no response from the env amount pot or VCF freq pot. The pots seem ok. I just can't get this filter going.

Is there anything I should be testing? Should I track the CV thru it's path? How would do so?

If anyone has any suggestion, I'd appreciate it greatly.
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it seems not all 2n2222s are the same
some are ebc and some cbe
check these datasheets -
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/P2N2222A-D.PDF
and
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-19/DSA-363265.pdf

try spinning around the 2222s?
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Insane!!! I've even read that here on the forum, but I never would have thought of it. I bet that's it. Man, I've torn this PCB up replacing parts already though-- I'll be surprised if I get it working now. You know, I had the same problem once with a CGS Steiner VCF PCB. I could never get it working, and they both have a screen print of the metal-can type trannie! Of course I have the other.
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a bunch of circuits that didn't work because of a bag of backwards BC560's from futurlec. I'm gonna have to start testing and write the pinout on every new bag I get.
Luka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
I had the same problem once with a CGS Steiner VCF PCB. I could never get it working, and they both have a screen print of the metal-can type trannie! Of course I have the other.

yeah me too
exactly that problem
took me ages to work it out

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

#$%*#$!!!

I replaced the 2222s, in reverse. Of course, still nothing.

I don't know, maybe it's the 2907... or the 547...I can't deal with it anymore though. This board is battle scared and beaten. Although the filter continues to provide no response-- now I'm getting an extremely loud bleed through from the shimmer section, before even inserting a signal into the VCF. I give up.

Guess I could always hook up an external VCF, wired to the Cynare Env.

The rest works. I like the damper control, and can see this working rather well as a high hat simulator; the shimmer mix does sound like a pitched down hat. I may try wiring up pots to control the pitch of the individual oscillators-- I'd like to raise the overall pitch--probably would have been nice to have a high pass filter here. I'd also prefer seperate level controls for the impact, noise and shimmer sounds.

Only, I have to say, I don't find this module to be extremely punchy, as a drum synth should be. It doesn't really sound percussive. I'll try raising the impact sound level.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: