electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Dual Drum Envelope
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Dual Drum Envelope Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have built the Dual Drum and found sound A to resemble a BD and as such I am looking to use it as such.

In order for it to sound more like a BD, I need to shorten the sound, naturally an EG comes to mind but I am looking to handle it on board.

Is there any way to shorten the sound? Perhaps change a resistor value?

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
Cat-A-Tonic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think sound A is really more of a floor tom and sound B is a higher tom, but for lack of other options I try to make them sound like a bass and a snare.
I've tried processing the 'bass' with octave down, pitch shift down, and bass parametric EQ. I think the EQ was probably the most natural and effective of the 3, but now that I have more pedal power I may try it again with a combination of these.
The 'snare' is obtained by (klangwerk) ringmodulation with digital noise, and white noise as CV.
This one is really nice because you can use the switches on the Klang to jump between different drum sounds.

I don't know of any on board mods that'll yield what we're looking for.
Good to know I'm not the only one thinking along such lines, and suffering without a dedicated bass drum module.
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I have played some with the trimpot and found some setting that reduce the envelope to a satisfactory level while maintaining the bass elements.

Although not an envelop with a log response, it provides something comparable.

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
Although not an envelop with a log response, it provides something comparable.

when you mention log response of a drum sound, i'm thinkin something like this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
heh

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found that the two circuits are related and changing the timing caps for one effects both. I was trying out different sized caps on drum2, and got an incredible bass-kick sound on drum 1, when using caps too small to work on drum2. I had 1000pf caps in drum 1, and something like 22pf caps in drum 2.
I decided not to sacrifice drum 2 however (it was making no sound with 22pf caps), and replaced the 'normal' 470pf caps. This also changed drum 1 back to more of a low tom sound. I think I liked the kick sound much better tho.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Out of the 2 or 3 BD circuits that I've built (both or more were t-filter variations) the best BD sound that I've found so far, is from the SSM2044 4 pole LPF just below resonating, being triggered.
Leaving the Filter Cutoff fairly low for the oscillation frequency when the filter is triggered, you get a really nice deep boom.
At the same time, I send it a VERY fast Attack Decay envelope to 1 of it's CV inputs, to give it something more of a 'click' at the beginning of the trigger as well.
I have currently only 2 of that filter setup, so I haven't dedicated 1 of them to it. I DO have a 3rd chip though on a completed PCB and will be mounting it to a panel in MAIN consideration for a BD sound, though still usable as normally expected.

To hear it well - you also need speakers that are able to reproduce low frequencies well. Smile My Yamaha NS10's can't really handle it. My higher end Sony headphones though, reproduce it beautifully. Smile
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to continue this OT, but Ryk's comment reminded me of the amazing kick drum and tom-tom sounds produced by self-resonating MS20 dual VCFs. Best drum sounds I've ever made or heard, actually. These filters are very simple to reproduce as well. There's a great MS20 VCF clone in the general forum even.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: