electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Best mp3 hosts?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Best mp3 hosts? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm planning to put some tracks online, but I'm out of webspace... In your opinion, where's the best place to get your mp3 files hosted these days? And while I'm at it, what would be your recommended mp3 coder?

DJ
--
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen people use soundclick.com to host...seems to be the new replacement for "mp3.com". Don't know how Howard feels about hosting here to increase the visibility of the site. Maybe even sell mp3's to generate revenue?

LAME in my opinion is the best encoder. Use the --r3mix switch for a good clean encode (VBR 192kbps, plus some anit-aliasing filters, etc). Yes, some people actaully sat down & did a huge number of qualitative & subjective comparisons of various settings, then grouped them into a bundle...known as r3mix. "OGG Vorbis" kicks the crap out of MP3, especially for lo-fi/small file encoding. It's just gaining popularity, finally finding it's way into some hardware mp3 players, etc.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can in fact upload files here. We are hosting files on a pretty fast server with lotsa room.
If you are using mac, then iTunes / QT or various unix tools can be used.

You upload files here as attachments to posts.

You can try this right now.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

You upload files here as attachments to posts.

yeah but you have a 10 Mb limit Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. yes.. that is true.. We gotta discuss this with Howard and do a little math.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

we're always looking for new artists at noiseusse.org and we have plenty of space. Send me some links to a few of your tracks and I'll give them a listen. We only put out music we feel represents the label but we're pretty open.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the responses!

SoundClick seems OK for the purpose. Not out to promote anything, just share some music with the community. I'll try setting up an account at SC for starters. Got no Macs here, so I'll check out LAME for the encoding.

DJ
--
play

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By te way, LAME is illegal in the states. The Fraunhofer algorithm is copyrighted so any software that uses it without paying for it is illegal. But only in the states. Land of the free.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another reason for OGG Exclamation

However, that also isn't fully true. As I understand it, Fraunhofer had released it's source code for free, back in the late '90's. Then they changed their minds, and began collecting royalties on use of that source code. LAME used to be a *patch* against the Fraunhofer source, and thus fell under this madness. However, LAME was recoded in 2000, so it does not use the Fraunhofer source, and was completely coded by using the MP3 standard as it's reference. The Fraunhofer Source and algorithm is copyrighted, but the MP3 standard is not.
play

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, that's nice to know.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about just installing iTunes for the PC? Then you get a pretty decent encoding engine and you donĀ“t have to worry about what is free or not?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SoundClick is nice because they have no track limit, allow for multiple artist pages, and allow you to 'grab' mp3 tracks that may be posted elsewhere on the web in just a few minutes rather than having to upload from scratch. Streams are no hassle but they make folks register before downloading which puts a lot of people off. They also don't allow deeplinking on free accounts.

ic-musicmedia allows deep linking even on free accounts & you get room for 10 tracks. I think BeSonic allows for deep linking on free accounts too.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael Chocholak wrote:
they make folks register before downloading which puts a lot of people off.

I am one of them even if I am a registered member and have songs posted on SoundClick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/seraphmusic.htm
Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: