electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Roland VG-99 Samples
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
baranger1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Roland VG-99 Samples
Subject description: Its just a Guitar
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everybody,
I have been doing a lot of programing and experimenting with the new Roland VG-99 and have been finding some great new sounds with in it.

Its cool as the unit uses your actual guitar string as its sound source or oscillator.
This is NOT a synthesizer, it is a guitar!

Bill Ruppert

Last edited by baranger1 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Do you work for Roland or a marketing company?

Andy
baranger1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy,
No I am a studio musician living in Chicago.
I play on TV and Radio commercials as well as records and film.
I am just very excited about this unit and am doing what I can to pull the electric guitar into the next century.
So many guitar players are stuck in what has been done over and over for many years.
I would love to see the guitar voice expanded.
Sorry if you got a wrong impression.

Bill
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Sorry, there have been quite a few first time posters who work for marketing companies, I was just checking.

I have a VG99 sitting here, I must admit I haven't been using it much.

I will give you links a look.

Cheers

Andy
SkinMechanix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a VG-8 and I remain less than impressed with it. I still can't get it to do the kind of big, grungy sounds that I want to hear. I won't give up on it just yet but I have been looking at swapping it in for a Line Pod gizmo.

D.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SkinMechanix wrote:
I have a VG-8 and I remain less than impressed with it. I still can't get it to do the kind of big, grungy sounds that I want to hear. I won't give up on it just yet but I have been looking at swapping it in for a Line Pod gizmo.

D.

I think you will find the VG-99 to be a different beast altogether compared to the VG-8.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on software to enhance Guitar sounds. For the moment, I'm using my Guitar Lab software that I wrote as the sound source but I'll be buying an entry level Fender Stratocaster HSS in a couple of months when the phase of the moon lines up for me. I'm starting with a note detector, kind of like a MIDI guitar but it works with the clean signal from a Guitar. It does an FFT on the signal and attempts to find the fastest rising fundamental frequency, hence detecting a plucked string.

I also plan to set up an accelerometer-based human interface device so that I can track the orientation and position of the guitar at all times - no more pedals, plus 6 degrees of freedom.

Hopefully when it's all set up I can vary reverb, echo, feedback, and delay by pointing the guitar in spherical coordinates, plus do different things to the sound depending on where on stage the player moves. Walk to center rear of the stage and your guitar plays drums. Right front and the six-string is pitch-shifted to play bass. Plus I just got done coding up a pretty good talk-box effect for use in that software later.

As you can tell, I'm very exited about it and I've been posting to the ChucK forum about it. Folks are helping me with the hardware and software required to do this. Also, note that the newly emerging low-cost 3-axis accelerometer chips are stimulating companies to provide all sorts of 3D mice and joysticks and controllers in the near future, so soon this will be everywhere.

For the time being, if you have a computer with Bluetooth and the right software programming language, you can just slap a Wiimote on your guitar plus do a little programming and you're good to go. The hardware is also very small physically, so it can be mounted inside a guitar and be invisible as it can be wireless.

What a fun hobby this is!

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Concerning the wiiremote, if you have a mac you can get osculator http://www.osculator.net/wiki/ then you do not have to do any programming.

Cheers

Andy
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of related products that might be of interest:

EStrap - Modulate effects with body motion. I've read a couple of reports from a female early adopter who said the manufacturer has been responsive to her comments regarding the ergonomics.
http://www.aqdi.com/estrap.htm

FX Tracker - Effects box whose behavior is affected by playing speed and volume. Also generates MIDI CC messages
http://www.backline-eng.com/page4.html

BTW, the Roland VG-99 has a D-Beam, which is a motion sensor: http://www.roland.com/products/en/exp/D_BEAM.html

I'm not sure how many parameters (internal or MIDI CC) can be assigned to the D-Beam - I'd have to look that up in the manual. The factory patches usually map it to pitch bend, filter, or toggle sustain.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the links, that is some interesting related stuff to read. I have gotten further with the ChucK software and it responds to mouse motion and keyboard strokes now. It was fun and exciting to move the mouse around and engage varying amounts of feedback and feedback delay on top of the "clean" guitar sample that I made from Guitar Lab. I also have it playing drums from the guitar source and it has a pitch-shifter that makes the six-string sound like a bass guitar when turned on via a keystroke. Plus it records and plays back loops of drums and bass guitar under mouse-click control. It's a good working demo of the final application so you can imagine I had fun programming it and playing it. I can't wait to take the project to the next level with a guitar and a USB sensor (I don't have Bluetooth on my machines).

After the whole project is done, maybe what the world needs is a brainwave to guitar effects control interface. Just think and it happens, the future is now! Or is that one already done as well?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Roland VG-99 Samples

baranger1 wrote:
Hi Everybody,
I have been doing a lot of programing and experimenting with the new Roland VG-99 and have been finding some great new sounds with in it.
I posted some of my fun samples of the Roland VG-99 V-Guitar System.
Its cool as the unit uses your actual guitar string as its sound source or oscillator.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=781088&content=music

Hey, that´s some very nice work! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor,

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. One thing to look out for is making the neck too heavy if you put sensors on the guitar neck.

As it turns out the D-Beam, as implemented on the VG-99, just has vertical and horizontal positional measurements. Neither acceleration or a 3rd dimension are measured. It kind of make sense, as the VG-99's designers only anticipated the guitarist moving the guitar neck in and out of the D-Beam, and not expecting varying behavior based on how fast the neck was moving in and out of the beam. It is also possible they believed that the guitarist would be also be using the ribbon and up to four expression pedals (if they got the FC-300 foot controller). I am thinking the EStrap might be a nice alternative to an expression pedal to plug into one of the 2 auxiliary expression pedal jacks.

One can assign the D-Beam to 2 parameters internal to the VG-99, and also 2 MIDI CC numbers.

Most of the VG-99's internal sounds are achieved by DSP just like amp modeling effects, but on a per string basis - thus FFT is not required and you get a feel and response as if you were playing a guitar into an amp, not a guitar synth. There is MIDI conversion happening in parallel with audio-only processing, but that pertains only to devices connected to the MIDI out jack. I am not sure what is exactly going on with the V-Link port, as I have no other V-Link devices to play with - all I know is you can assign the VG's onboard controllers to various video parameters.

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Roland VG-99 Samples

elektro80 wrote:
baranger1 wrote:
Hi Everybody,
I posted some of my fun samples of the Roland VG-99 V-Guitar System.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=781088&content=music

Hey, that´s some very nice work! Very Happy

I agree. As a fellow '99 owner, I'll get around to asking him how he got that Atmosphere sound, and certain other sounds.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Inventor,

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. One thing to look out for is making the neck too heavy if you put sensors on the guitar neck.

Thanks, Governor, I'll have to keep you posted on my progress. I'm hoping to mount the sensor on the front of the guitar body just behind the bridge. At first I imagined putting one accelerometer on the neck and one behind the bridge, but now I believe they can both go behind the bridge and in fact I will probably try to do it with just one 3-axis sensor anyway. So nothing on the neck is planned at this time.

baranger1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for listening elektro80 and GovernorSilver.

I keep adding and adding things I find along the way.
The unit is proving to have endless possibilities.
Much like the guitar itself!

Thanks again,
Bill Ruppert
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved this one.
baranger1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VG-99 Sample Mp3,s have been moved to:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=853668
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that, I had noticed the link had gone.

We have a new sub-forum for guitar related stuff here I hope you stick around.

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just listened to all the MP3s, very impressive, they put my fumblings with the VG99 to shame.

I get a huge amount of noise trying the synth stuff in the vg99, yours are very clean, how do you go about this?

Andy
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yessss.... Ruppert's VG-99 samples are back online! Cool

Some old stuff on VIRB
baranger1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Guy!
I saw the post was moved to a new section and thought I would update the clip address.

Andy- Well I find some synth models are more noisy and temperamental that others.
The GR-300 is one RAW noisy wave I use that sparingly as it is a bit hard to keep tidy. I used it on the THX sample clip. Its a huge, huge raw wave.

The Bow Synth model can be very temperamental as it often throws off spurious noises. Very careful picking and various GK levels help tame it a bit.
I do use it a lot for string sounds of various kinds.

The Brass wave and Wave synth are favorites of mine.
They seem to take what ever you throw at them.

I also self gate everything I do with a volume pedal.
I have done that as a studio musician for 30 years.
I have "self gated" 30 years worth of noise!!! Smile

Thanks again and great to be back.
Bill Ruppert
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips, I will give the brass and wave synths a go and see what I can come up with

Andy
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: