electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Pictures that stretch the forum screen
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Pictures that stretch the forum screen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I notice that the forum defaults to a particular width - but that this stretches when large jpg is inserted. Is it possible to scale large jpgs to the default size of the forum? It gets a bit annoying when someone has inserted a big wide picture and that means you have to scroll from left to right to read the messages.

I know, I know, pain in the arse, asking the world etc.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NO probs.. just a matter of deciding the recommended width.
We can decide on scaling pics to some standard width.. but we need some code added to the img tag in order to control the scaling of external links.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a bit complicated. The best thing is for the editors to ask people to keep picts posted on the forum to something less than 700 pixels wide. The img tag can be hacked pretty easilly (he says without looking first). I can see how one can put in a parameter to set the width to 700, but this would have the undesired side effect of stretching small pictures.

I think probably the best thing we can employ is peer pressure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the risk of pushing the point too far, is it not possible to use an if clause in your redefinition of the image tag?

You know:

If image width > 700

kind of thing?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...

in theory we could do a lot of things but what if we just decide that pics shouldn´t be more than 700 px wide or something like that. A scaler needs to know how big the pix is first.. then recalculate height according to the new width. Implementing the actiual tags is not that hard... but as Howard says, the recalculating of the height is more messy. If we just set the width to fixed 700, then the height will remain the same.. which of course might look a bit odd.

I am using imagewell ( http://www.xtralean.com/IW.html )
and I recommend that one for all the mac users here. That said I upload most of my pix to my own http server.

Quote:
ImageWell is the easy way to edit, rotate, crop and resize your image and upload it to your iDisk (.mac account), FTP server or WebDAV server.  No need to launch multiple applications to add text, labels, drop shadows and shapes.  At the click of a button the image is sent and a handy URL is copied to the clipboard.  

Quote:
Main Features & Capabilities:

Resize, Rotate, and Crop images easily

Drop Shadow Effect (OS X 10.3 or higher)

Watermark your image with text

Add 1 of 12 shapes to your image for borders and drop shadows

Add talking balloons, thought clouds or labels

Annotate your image with arrows, circles, squares or text

One click to send image or file to your iDisk, FTP or WebDAV server

Web Preview and Quality/Size adjustment tool before uploading to the web

Grab images directly from your screen or digital camera

Automatically creates URL or HTML tags of uploaded images

Multiple server locations can be added and stored to your locations list

URL History for pasting multiple images/links all at once

Check for Overwrite on Server

User Specific Options and Settings

Fully Apple-Scriptable

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Irfanview author's home town - Jajce, Bosnia
Well, on must browsers if you just specify the width, the height will be automatically scalled to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

This site is written in PHP which makes everything possbile - it's just a matter of setting priorities and doing the work.

If you are looking for a great free image program for Windows, be sure to check out Irfanview. It is superb. http://www.irfanview.com/ I use is for almost everything. For really heavy duty graphics stuff I use Paint Shop Pro.
http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/ It's as good as Photoshop, but much less money. For most things, I use Irfanview though. I find Bosnian freeware to be outstanding. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: