electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
New to music creation help
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
swainclubber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: New to music creation help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have a nord lead 2 and a few other synths and i bought them just to play with, but now i want to get a bit more in-depth with them..is there any software/hardware where you can hook the synth up to the laptop and play the synth and it will be recorded for editing, and then more can be added to it as..
i hope that makes sence!!
the main bits of kit that might be of any use is a roland sh101, quasimidi sirius and a yamaha sy55..i think the quasimid has a sequencer in it but not capable of doing what i mentioned above.

thanks for your time

ben
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to music creation help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

swainclubber wrote:
i have a nord lead 2 and a few other synths and i bought them just to play with, but now i want to get a bit more in-depth with them..is there any software/hardware where you can hook the synth up to the laptop and play the synth and it will be recorded for editing, and then more can be added to it as..

My favorite is Ableton Live. You can download a demo version for free and use it for two weeks before you decide to pay for it.
swainclubber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to music creation help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
swainclubber wrote:

My favorite is Ableton Live. You can download a demo version for free and use it for two weeks before you decide to pay for it.
cheers for that Smile how exactly does it work?is it easy enough to use, i have seen some screenshots of cubase sx and it looks mighty difficult.thanks for your time
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New to music creation help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
You can download a demo version for free and use it for two weeks before you decide to pay for it.
Take a look at
http://www.ableton.com/live

In short, there is a Midi part, which means your Midi synths, like the Nordlead, can play the notes (pitch, duration, volume, etc)
There is mostly a part in which you can record the audio, edit this, mix it, etc.

It means you have to have Midi AND Audio In and Outs!!!

Then there is the possibility to use VST(i), which are synths, samplers, FX, etc to be used in your set up.

Ableton also provides sampled sounds...

In fact, two weeks is rather short to learn it Smile
But you find out what it can do.

Wout
swainclubber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to music creation help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
ark wrote:
You can download a demo version for free and use it for two weeks before you decide to pay for it.
Take a look at
http://www.ableton.com/live

In short, there is a Midi part, which means your Midi synths, like the Nordlead, can play the notes (pitch, duration, volume, etc)
There is mostly a part in which you can record the audio, edit this, mix it, etc.

It means you have to have Midi AND Audio In and Outs!!!

Then there is the possibility to use VST(i), which are synths, samplers, FX, etc to be used in your set up.

Ableton also provides sampled sounds...

In fact, two weeks is rather short to learn it Smile
But you find out what it can do.

Wout

great insight there thanks. i might be a bit knackered then as my laptop does have the usb to midi interface but no audio in.i assumed that would go through the midi..silly me..back to the drawing board again i think Sad
swainclubber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

would this work>?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/9326/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think so...
Never tried it.
It's only one stereo channel,
Looks a little bit cheap to me, so don't expect a high end...

At least - it comes with Audacity, a freeware program - you can record what you are doing on you synths. It's a start!

Wout
swainclubber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
I think so...
Never tried it.
It's only one stereo channel,
Looks a little bit cheap to me, so don't expect a high end...

At least - it comes with Audacity, a freeware program - you can record what you are doing on you synths. It's a start!

Wout

yeah i just want to start simply first..i have just found a mic input on the laptop, i am guessing that would be the same as the above product
swainclubber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a quick question, why do you need audio in and out?i am wanting to play some notes on my synth and edit/store them in the sequencer, would the sound not be coming from my synths outputs?
swainclubber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what software is best for a novice?is it best to record the sound directly then basically have the laptop doing the music or to record via midi so the pc is the sequencer?what software is best for these 2 methods.

many thanks in advance
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Record MIDI Sequence

Pros: If you don't like the sequence playing with a piano sound, it is easy to switch to an organ sound. Easy to edit individual note events

Cons:
Sometimes you might have MIDI timing issues, if your PC is sending too much MIDI data to your synths at the same time. MIDI portamento, pitch bend, and other realtime MIDI controller messages in addition to Velocity, Note Number, etc. can all add up.

Record Audio

Pros: Straightforward compared to MIDI for simple recording. Can mix in audio clips of cats meowing and stuff. For live performance, playback of audio is more reliable than MIDI playback and is not limited by bandwidth (don't have to worry about too much data). In the old days, electronic musicians were using tape to play back audio tracks. Then they switched to self-burnt CDs. Now people are using iPods, other MP3/audio file players, and Ableton Live.

Cons: Harder to edit individual note data, change from one sound to another without having to re-record entire musical phrase.

Some old stuff on VIRB
swainclubber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers for that.is there any software that does both things?thanks
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ableton Live was suggested to you several times. It does both audio and MIDI.

You could also try Reaper. It records both MIDI and audio and is cheap, until you are ready to "go commercial".

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: